Calypso Jr. is a bad bad knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
klattman

Calypso Jr. is a bad bad knife

Post by klattman »

I hate it becasue I can't carry ANYTHING else anymore.
I always find myself missing it when it isn't there.
It's the perfect size for EDC and very comfortable to use.
It's scary sharp and slices so well.

I can't praise this little dude enough and neither can most others, so why is it not in the permanent spydie lineup?

Do people really prefer the delica? Maybe the flat grind (which is great IMHO) turns people off? The choils are nicely placed on the Caly, and not so on the Delica.

Honestly the only minor flaw is that the FRN is not G10 or SS, but it makes the price just right.

I guess my question is why the Delica outsells the Calypso Jr?
Gibsoniam

Post by Gibsoniam »

According to Greek Mythology, Calypso was a sea nymph who delayed Odysseus on her island, Ogygia, for seven years.

Odysseus was a pretty tough guy, and happily married (if I recall the Iliad and the Odyssey properly). So, Calypso had to have been one hot nymph and have some mesmerizing power to lure him into her trap.

And, I think that is a fitting description of the Spyderco Calypso Jr, though I would argue Junior tends to not make one think of a female mythological creature. :D

I've carried a Calypso Jr. of one sort or another for a few years now, off and on. I've tried other knives (the Delica and Native from Spyderco, and most recently I'm toying with a Benchmade 530) but I always come back to my Calypso Jr., most recently reincarnated as the grey FRN model.

I can't say why the Delica outsells the Calypso Jr. Maybe it is the tip-up carry (which I actually prefer on knives of this size, and is my one and only gripe with the Calypso Jr.). Maybe it's the price point. Or perhaps it's strictly availability. The Delica is EVERYWHERE. Any store that carries decent knives has a Delica. I've only once seen a Calypso Jr. in a store, and that was a returned, open-boxed serrated black FRN.

All I can say for sure is that I agree with you, it's my favorite knife too. Except, I think it's a GOOD knife, because it mostly stops me from buying other knives, unless there's something REALLY appealing about them (the Para-Military and forthcoming Kopa, for instance).

That's all!

Michael
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

The Delica looks "cooler" and sells better because of that
wotanson

Post by wotanson »

Hey
I've carried my Calypso Jr micarta SE for about a year, like it alot, it is a very comfortable knife, light and sturdy. It's a great design and wish they still made it. The Delica is also a great pattern that apeals as well, I don't have one now but have had one in the near past, need to pick up another one soon!!! Cheers, Rob
HOW BOUT THEM RED SOX!!
ODIN, GUIDE MY SWORD TO ETERNAL VICTORY!
klattman

Post by klattman »

It will be a very sad day when the current Caly Jr. runs out. I honestly think it is better than the Delica (though it would be nice to have holes threaded for tip up also), and it should reside as a constant part of the Spydie lineup.

It's still a bad bad knife though, because I have to buy another (or more) for a backup(s)...
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

While there won't be any more "Calypso Jrs," per se, the pattern lives on and evolved with the UK Penknife, and Sal isn't going to let it end there, though I don't know what other forms it will take in the future.
"Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
- Paul Graham
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

UK Pen Knife+ Lock Back= ULTIMATE (with normal clip, swiss cheese option)
JDEE

Touche

Post by JDEE »

I currently have the following Spydies:
  • Native III
  • Delica
  • Moran FB01
  • Calypso Jr
  • Meerkat Reverse S

Having used them all I find that when I am looking for 1 Folder to carry I turn to the Calypso Jr. I normally carry the Native III in a belt pouch with another Spydie folder clipped in my right front pocket. But when it comes to carrying just one I turn to the Calypso Jr - it is the best cutting/slicing blade I have come across in a smallish folder. You could better it with S30V and maybe G10 scales (which I think would take away from the lightness of the Calypso). I often carry the Delica but it is nowhere as good as the Calypso Jr when it comes to cutting and slicing.
Jdee
Have a Knife Day
rusticforge.com/knives Australia
Gibsoniam

New "Calypso Jr."?

Post by Gibsoniam »

Carlos beat me to it, but I was just pondering the UK Pen Knife and the Calypso Jr. Its obvious that a lot of dedicated (addicted?) Spyderco users love the Calypso Jr., and its obvious that Spyderco likes it too, because they keep bringing it back in small runs and variations.

I'm sure with all the demand around here on the boards for the UK Pen Knife (or an Americanized version) and our fondness of the Calypso Jr. that Spyderco will continue to produce newer incarnations of the Calypso Jr. in spirit. I personally would like to see the UK Pen Knife released domestically, but I bet they're holding off on that to see how well it does in the UK, and we're probably not high on their list as the knife was designed to meet specific demands and laws in the UK. Spyderco probably wants to sell them to whom they were made for before they sell them to those of us who can legally pick from a wider range of their products.

Just my $.01 worth (my thoughts aren't really worth $.02, I don't think). :D

Michael
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

GarageBoy wrote:UK Pen Knife+ Lock Back= ULTIMATE (with normal clip, swiss cheese option)
I wonder if you would change your mind if you actually got to try out the UK Penknife for awhile. The slipjoint action removes a step from the process of using a folder. The more I use it, the more I get used to not having to bother with a lock.

Maybe there should be a UK Penkife passaround. :D
- Paul Graham
Gibsoniam

Slipjoint vs. Lock

Post by Gibsoniam »

I'm all for a slipjoint! :D Locks are nice for heavy duty work, but before I moved to Spyderco I used Swiss Army Knives all the time, for the same kind of work. A nice strong slipjoint I think would be fine for day to day light chores, which is what I primarily use my Calypso for.

A passaround? Sounds good, how do we sign up? :D

Michael
LJK

Limited Run? Say it ain't so

Post by LJK »

:spyder: I absolutly love the Calypso Jr. It is one of the few Spydies that sit deep in the pocket, with only a small amount of knife showing for a nice discreet carry. If all spydies sat like that, with a dark clip I'd never buy another Benchmade. Looking thru the their web site I got the impression that its a permanent part of the 2005 line up? Does anyone know for sure if it is a limited run? :spyder:
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

LJK wrote:. Looking thru the their web site I got the impression that its a permanent part of the 2005 line up? Does anyone know for sure if it is a limited run? :spyder:
It's toast. After the current lot sell out, that is it.
- Paul Graham
klattman

Post by klattman »

:) I knew I would get responses. So far everyone has praised the CalyJr and some have agreed that it is better than the Delica.

My only hope is that it is reincarnated many times. The current design is so good, however, that it's tough to see how it could be improved at the same price point. The FRN could become G10, but the FRN continues to grow on me because of how light the carry is.

Does anyone disagree that it's got to be one of the best knives for the price as well?

P.S. Not too fond of the UK penknife. I like slipjoints, but as long as we can still have them here in the US (we'll see how long?), I'll have a locking blade for my main EDC.
spyken

Post by spyken »

I have the Calypso Jr, Paramilie and Blue Lum Chinese. Unfortunately (or fortunately), the Calypso Jr and Lum Chinese have been relegated to the safe (actually a box). Why? I love them too much. The Blue Lum Chinese PE is difficult to track down, and it's absolutely gorgeous. The Calypso Jr is the sharpest knife I have bar none. And I can't find many which have a centered blade (mine isn't too, actually)....

IMO, the Calypso Jr is much, much better than the Delica. I think it may not look as nice but it's functionally better. I love full flat grinds.

The UK Penknife looks to be cool too. I'm trying to get one. However, I noticed that S30V does not take as nice a finish as VG10. My observation from my paramilie, which is incidentally my EDC.

If I had to choose 2 production knives over anything else, I would choose:

- Calypso Jr for urban EDC
- Paramilie for all other ocassions

I wish Spyderco would produce the Calypso Jr in a limited run with G10 handles :D
spyken
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I actually played with a UK pen knife. I thought a lock would be handy, but most of the time, I don't open the knife fully anyways, when cutting (people give a 16 yr old with a knife weird looks here in NYC) I have not one, but 2 Calypso Jrs in Grey, gonna pick up a 3rd to use =D
JDEE

Spyken

Post by JDEE »

G'day Mate - Cut loose buy another Calypso Jr while they are still around that way you can have the best of 2 worlds - 1 in the pocket and 1 in the "safe".
Jdee
Have a Knife Day
rusticforge.com/knives Australia
Gibsoniam

How Many Calypso Jr.(s) is too many?

Post by Gibsoniam »

I've got three of the Grey FRN. I've had the black handle (PE and SE) before, but gave one away and lost one :mad: . When I had finally given up on ever seeing a PE new in the box, Spyderco was kind enough to bring it back in the ever-so-spiffy grey handled version. So I bought three, one to carry, and two to hold on to in case I lose one :eek: or need to make a gift of one again.

But, if Spyderco ever spiffs it up for another sprint run (which Carlos implies is unlikely) or releases an evolved version of it (UK Pen Knife or some such new imagining of the design) I'm sure I'll buy some more!

Best knife I've ever owned, bar none!

Michael

PS: Does anyone know who designed the Calypso Jr? Was it Eric or Sal, or just some faceless nameless hero at Spyderco?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

It is Sal's design.
- Paul Graham
klattman

Post by klattman »

spyken wrote:...
IMO, the Calypso Jr is much, much better than the Delica. I think it may not look as nice but it's functionally better. I love full flat grinds.

I wish Spyderco would produce the Calypso Jr in a limited run with G10 handles :D
I wish spyderco would make it a constant part of the line up. We all agree that it's better than the Delica. Having it "Limited Edition" sort of forces it to be a collector item. But the Caly performs so well that it's a shame that people feel the need to baby them. It's a born performer. If we could bear to give them as gifts instead of hoarding them, we would bring many more people to love :spyder: s.

I would buy many more if I could afford it right now. :(

Over at BF, the Caly Jr. is showing up very often on the list of favorite EDC's (and I didn't start that thread!). How much more can we say?