Crazy deals @ Sierra and other places

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mb1

Re: Crazy deals @ Sierra and other places

Post by mb1 »

Easy now, I like this thread! Good reminder for folks, but let's not ditch the whole idea.

Maybe you could define the terms more clearly, such as crazy = >10-20% of the going rate or whatever. But I still like to know who's offering the 10% off deals around the holidays too.

Your thread, your call I suppose. My .$02 ;).
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

bh49 wrote:
ABX2011 wrote:Saving $10 is not a good reason to shop at knifeoutlet. Generally not a great customer experience.
As well as $10 cannot be qualified as "Crazy deal"
And frankly it is disappointing for me to see how this thread lately started to degrade from "Crazy deals" to "how to save few bucks". In my book, CF Caly3.5 ZDP189 for $100 is a "crazy deal", saving $10 is nice, but no big deal.
May be it is time to close this thread and let somebody to open a new, if it is needed.
Ya lately it feels like a clone of the Massdrop newsletter.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The very marginal savings on Massdrop are not worth the wait time for me. They just don't have good enough deals on knives. I have bought a few other things from them that were great deals but not knives.

A deal for me is 50% of MSRP or less or about 20% off of MAP. The Caly3.5 for $100, the Puukko for $60 and the 20% off coupon from Ebay (which landed me a Southfork for under $200) were all recent deals that I would call crazy.

I would hate to see this thread go away but maybe we need a "Mediocre Deals" thread.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I couldn't agree more, 10 to 20% just doesn't sound like that big of a deal anymore, plus the whole massdrop thing.. :rolleyes:
Josh
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Wow, what a difference a page makes! On the last page, we were lauding Roman for starting this amazing thread for us and marveling at its run, and now on this page, some are calling for it to be closed down! Tough crowd! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Nishijin Glass Cricket at KC for $80
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

bh49 wrote:
ABX2011 wrote:Saving $10 is not a good reason to shop at knifeoutlet. Generally not a great customer experience.
And frankly it is disappointing for me to see how this thread lately started to degrade from "Crazy deals" to "how to save few bucks". In my book, CF Caly3.5 ZDP189 for $100 is a "crazy deal", saving $10 is nice, but no big deal.
May be it is time to close this thread and let somebody to open a new, if it is needed.
I would definitely vote "no!" to that. I've got too many happy memories of finding good deals here :eek: MAP pricing may have caused a drop in crazy prices, but there are still some to be found, 20%-off ebay coupons (at least very neurotic, if not crazy), a few discos here and there and so forth :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I enjoy carrying my $102 Caly 3.5 all of the time. It's a knife that I wouldn't have bought except for this thread.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Your thread just observed its tenth anniversary. No one is complaining about small deals.
Because you started this thread, bh49, countless Spyderco enthusiasts have saved piles of money.
Small deals are better than no deals.

There are probably many forum members following this thread who score deals and rarely or never post. I for one have been able to buy a number of discontinued knives at big discounts because of this thread.

Thank you, bh49, and don't give up on us.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

Mad Mac wrote: Small deals are better than no deals.
Agreed
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

bh49 wrote:
Well for some of us, saving a few bucks is all the excuse we need to buy the next spydie. Never hurts to post. But that amazon caly3.5 deal had to be the best one ever posted.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

...well, second best. Maybe. ;). (<< on the Caly 3.5 at least.)
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

I am still waiting on my caly 3.5 zdp for $74.49 to ship from amazon.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

bpahk wrote:
bh49 wrote:
Well for some of us, saving a few bucks is all the excuse we need to buy the next spydie. Never hurts to post. But that amazon caly3.5 deal had to be the best one ever posted.
That's pretty good. I still am in awe of the $60 puukko that I got for a friend.
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

Spider bite wrote:I am still waiting on my caly 3.5 zdp for $74.49 to ship from amazon.
Same. Ordered on June 16th, still waiting as of August 25th. Here's the latest:
Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 12.50.18 PM.png
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Wow, what a difference a page makes! On the last page, we were lauding Roman for starting this amazing thread for us and marveling at its run, and now on this page, some are calling for it to be closed down! Tough crowd! :D
Paul,
It was I, who raised the question.
Roman.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
rivy

Post by rivy »

ConspicuousConsumption wrote:
Spider bite wrote:I am still waiting on my caly 3.5 zdp for $74.49 to ship from amazon.
Same. Ordered on June 16th, still waiting as of August 25th. Here's the latest:

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 12.50.18 PM.png
I'm still waiting on one too but at that price I don't mind waiting at all.
LDB

Post by LDB »

I like this thread and I like all parts of it. I'm a Massdrop buyer at times and yes, it may only be a small savings however when it's their blue box deals it can be more. I've got 3 different ones that were upgraded so it's a better savings then. Plus it's a bit of fun seeing if you win the upgrade lottery.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Maybe this belongs in a "mediocre deals" thread :D, but I love this thread so...

KW lowered the price of their CF/Ti S90v Military to $249.99 ($30 off) for a Labor Day sale. This one has been testing my will power for a while.