S90V Fluted Carbon Fiber Native 5 is alive!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ronT2

Re: S90V Fluted Carbon Fiber Native 5 is alive!

Post by ronT2 »

Here’s a picture of the bottom of the handle. You can see the contour and how much narrower it is than the top.

If you look at the side view below you’ll notice that there is a pretty uniform pattern to the carbon fiber, it’s basically flat there. Then about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down the handle the contours starts. You can clearly see it in ZrowsN1s’ picture also.

My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Rotten wrote:....
The fluted CF Native 5 is an extremely beautiful knife but like I said. I won't own safe queens.
It's only a safe queen if you keep it in the safe :D Welcome to the forum rotten. You should check out the JB Outman Exclusive Yojimbo 2 in Black DLC S90V and Coyote brown handles. A very capable blade with a thick stock but a very thin and high hollow grind. It has no lanyard hole and it Maximizes the Blade to Handle ratio, so you get as much blade as possible in a compact knife. Also the ergo's are great for power cuts utilizing your thumb on the spine of the blade, it slices and pierces great.
Here's some size comparison pics with the 40th Anniv. standing in for the S90v Fluted CF.
20170815_144311.jpg
20170815_144518.jpg
20170815_145123.jpg
20170815_145037.jpg
I appreciate what you are saying but we don't have many knife restriction laws here. Fixed blades must be worn openly and not concealed. No switchblade or balis which are considered a switch blade or gravity knife. No counties have blade length restrictions that I am aware of but Some city's like LA try to get people to restrict blade length which is silly. The length of a blade isn't what makes it deadly if it's owner has bad intentions. Much easier to kill someone with a screwdriver anyway.

Point being I don't need, like or want compact handle sizes anymore than I like sub three inch blades. The Yojimbo is by all accounts a great knife but it's small handle and flat cutting edge style are just not for me. I'm glad you like it though. like I said. The Para2 and shaman are more my size. I just want a special one and I don't mean one with a blue or brown handle or a different blade steel. I could care less about those thing. Put out a Shaman with a fluted Ti or CF scale, maybe a damascus blade WITHOUT 40 years written all over it covering the steels beauty and I will be the first in line to buy. I DO love a blade with a finger choil on it for choking up for delicate work. It's become a must have these days.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am really enjoying my knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Rotten wrote: ...
I appreciate what you are saying but we don't have many knife restriction laws here. Fixed blades must be worn openly and not concealed. No switchblade or balis which are considered a switch blade or gravity knife. No counties have blade length restrictions that I am aware of but Some city's like LA try to get people to restrict blade length which is silly. The length of a blade isn't what makes it deadly if it's owner has bad intentions. Much easier to kill someone with a screwdriver anyway.

Point being I don't need, like or want compact handle sizes anymore than I like sub three inch blades. The Yojimbo is by all accounts a great knife but it's small handle and flat cutting edge style are just not for me. I'm glad you like it though. like I said. The Para2 and shaman are more my size. I just want a special one and I don't mean one with a blue or brown handle or a different blade steel. I could care less about those thing. Put out a Shaman with a fluted Ti or CF scale, maybe a damascus blade WITHOUT 40 years written all over it covering the steels beauty and I will be the first in line to buy. I DO love a blade with a finger choil on it for choking up for delicate work. It's become a must have these days.
No worries. I like compact for weight and ease of in pocket carry more than legal reasons. I tend to carry the smallest effective tool I can. Too bad you are not into the CBBL, the Manix series is really nice and seems to be the size and shape you like. CBBL locks are the strongest and most wear resistance locks around. I find it to be just as easy to close a cbbl one handed as a backlock is. (not as smooth an action as a compression lock, but a stronger lock, with a good stay closed bias)

Anyways you will probably get your wish with the CF Shaman. :D eventually
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

This is easily my favorite Native variation. It's the light weight of FRN models with the smoothness of the G-10 models all with a premium material contoured handle and a ultra premium blade steel. I can't see it being much better. Home run Spyderco!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Scottie3000 wrote:This is easily my favorite Native variation. It's the light weight of FRN models with the smoothness of the G-10 models all with a premium material contoured handle and a ultra premium blade steel. I can't see it being much better. Home run Spyderco!
I gotta go ahead and agree with this 100%. Well said!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

So guys am I correct that the amazon ad I posted has an incorrect blades length listed?. I don't believe there in a knife shop anywhere near my area or I wouldn't buy mail order or used all the time. Id love to peruse and fondle Spedercos, hinderers, striders, MKT's and especially customs before I buy. I just paid almost $600 for a sweet zeiba S4 Angry Bird flipper only to discover the lock bar is too stiff and has no edge relief and is too sharp too release the frame lock and fold the knife back without causing physical pain each time and no edge to release it so I may have to return it.

Can anyone in the SF Bay Area recommend a San Jose or SF such shop that' has a selection of customs and high end production knives that's not that far a drive from Santa Cruz.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

BladeHQ, KnifeCenter and GP Knives all now have the Native5 CPM-S90V Fluted Carbon Fiber for $215.97 instead of $251.97.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RamZar wrote:BladeHQ, KnifeCenter and GP Knives all now have the Native5 CPM-S90V Fluted Carbon Fiber for $215.97 instead of $251.97.
Good to know! Last week I found one at another dealer for the lower price. I almost pulled the trigger but then I learned that the Caly 3 & Para 3 sprints were about to drop so I held off. Maybe I'll pick one of these up after I recover from this weeks buying frenzy. :D
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Sharp Guy wrote:
RamZar wrote:BladeHQ, KnifeCenter and GP Knives all now have the Native5 CPM-S90V Fluted Carbon Fiber for $215.97 instead of $251.97.
Good to know! Last week I found one at another dealer for the lower price. I almost pulled the trigger but then I learned that the Caly 3 & Para 3 sprints were about to drop so I held off. Maybe I'll pick one of these up after I recover from this weeks buying frenzy. :D
No rush since it's a regular production model.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

So has anyone tried to blade swap the this and the Maxamet LW yet?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RamZar wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
No rush since it's a regular production model.
Yep!
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Can I give a shout out to GPK briefly? I purchased the Native CF from GPK at the $251 price point and was a bit disappointed to see that a few other retailers had chosen to sell it at $215. I ate the loss quietly and just remained stoked at how excellent this piece is. Today I received a $36 refund from GPK as a price adjustment for the Native, and I did not even request it. That is some super awesome customer service they are providing, ensuring many future purchases indeed.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Very nice of them. Hopefully the rest will follow suite. NGK are the best
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Bdubs808 wrote:Can I give a shout out to GPK briefly? I purchased the Native CF from GPK at the $251 price point and was a bit disappointed to see that a few other retailers had chosen to sell it at $215. I ate the loss quietly and just remained stoked at how excellent this piece is. Today I received a $36 refund from GPK as a price adjustment for the Native, and I did not even request it. That is some super awesome customer service they are providing, ensuring many future purchases indeed.
Now that is awesome! I've ordered from GPK a few times and they'll continue to be at the top of my list of go to dealers.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Can I give a shout out to GPK briefly? I purchased the Native CF from GPK at the $251 price point and was a bit disappointed to see that a few other retailers had chosen to sell it at $215. I ate the loss quietly and just remained stoked at how excellent this piece is. Today I received a $36 refund from GPK as a price adjustment for the Native, and I did not even request it. That is some super awesome customer service they are providing, ensuring many future purchases indeed.
Nicely done GPK!
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Bdubs808 wrote:
I hope Knife Center is as gracious. I ordered two so that's like half of another knife.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Scottie3000 wrote:
I hope Knife Center is as gracious. I ordered two so that's like half of another knife.
You will find out soon enough. Or you can call them.

Jbarnhill

Post by Jbarnhill »

KC has done the same thing. I received an email this morning saying I would get a refund of $36.00
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

bh49 wrote:
Scottie3000 wrote:
You will find out soon enough. Or you can call them.
I was all ready to call them this morning, and when I opened my email to find the order info, I found a refund email from them saying my refund was already on its way back to my card.