Spyderco Knock-offs, "Replicas"and Fakes

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
anagarika

Re: Spyderco Knock-offs, "Replicas"and Fakes

Post by anagarika »

If this is fake, they have improved the FRN pattern, the screw 'domed' look and even the stamping (Spyderco VG10).

Unless they use an original E4 Orange in that photo.

http://www.dhgate.com/product/spyderco- ... 97170.html
Chris :spyder:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

You have to report the ones you find on Ebay. I have reported many, but I think their fraud department is understaffed. They likely only do enough to keep the Feds off of their back.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

this guy again https://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-und ... 208607971/ he took down the listings which claim to be authentic spydercos, now he's selling "clones" officially and Ganzo 733 s https://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-und ... 208723714/
Ti Rod Tactical

Post by Ti Rod Tactical »

Hi, I posted this earlier today on The Truth About Knives site, in regards to the notification that Spyderco had filed a lawsuit against Ebay for the ongoing counterfeit issues on that platform. I thought this might be a good place to present my thoughts here also. (below)

Perhaps legit owners of Spyderco knives can be of some assistance, take AWAY the profit motive!

Start a “Crusade” where we actually BUY the counterfeits ourselves, one person at a time but as a GROUP it will result in large numbers (and WITH a Credit Card for best protection), have them arrive and confirm they are indeed counterfeit,…and then document their destruction with photo’s or video’s.

Next file an A-Z claim with Ebay for Product not as described and was in fact a counterfeit. After all, Ebay takes the stance that selling counterfeit goods is against their policy. Even Amazon, if counterfeits are found in their inventory in their FBA program, state the products will be destroyed without compensation to the seller, and the seller removed from selling privileges! Even Federal and State confiscation of large counterfeit ring’s “goods” will destroy the fakes eventually, so there is a long history of what the “proper” thing to do with counterfeit goods IS!

Paypal also should be notified that the goods you received were counterfeit,…and as even “exemplary” sellers on Ebay an elsewhere have discovered,….Paypal in virtually ALL cases will side with the BUYER! (that be YOU in this case) If for some reason they take the seller’s side, unlikely as it may be,….

….then you report to your Credit Card Issuer for a “Charge Back” as a fraudulent transaction. This last step takes it out of Paypal’s discretion, and your full refund will be issued if they first two steps don’t get it done!

“Save a Spyder ,… BUY a fake and turn it to Powder!”

Joe T
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I came across this sketchy website. I wouldn't recommend following the link for fun, and make sure your anti virus is running. But they were selling Para 2's for $38 and had a few obvious fakes. Here is the link, AGAIN, This Is A Sketchy WebSite.
Do NOT follow link, the website looks like a virus wating to happen, I'm just posting this so Spyderco's legal team knows.
http://www.factorybrandoutlets.com/?s=spyderco
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Fritzbert

Post by Fritzbert »

Just found someone selling "Clones" as he describes it on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Parami ... 2324760220

Also searching for "Spyderco clones" gets you some hits.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

$24.88 "C81GPBK2-Paramilitary2-Folding-Knife-Black-G10-Handle"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201891486373?ul_noapp=true
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Messser

Post by Messser »

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I think it's authentic and that the logo may have been removed when (and if) regrinding or maybe just removing rust from the blade, which may have slightly coarser grind marks than usual. I was not yet a spydophile when this model was made, so I can't say if counterfeiting was common then; but if made recently, it would seem unusual for a counterfeiter to go to the trouble to make an older model in low demand and create the unusual gimping and other details. The serrations, screws, clip and blade inscriptions look pretty authentic to me. The price may be a little low because part serrate models are sort of out of style now -- just my opinion.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Just came across this on amazon. looks like a black camo poliwog....

BELK "Mini Camo" Series, Stunning Bolster Lock Pocket Folding Knife, 2.8-IN Closed Figure / Belt Clip Knife with Key Chain Ring Hole https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0119ELYLE/re ... Izb35HPXF4
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

DougC-3 wrote:
I think it's authentic and that the logo may have been removed when (and if) regrinding or maybe just removing rust from the blade, which may have slightly coarser grind marks than usual. I was not yet a spydophile when this model was made, so I can't say if counterfeiting was common then; but if made recently, it would seem unusual for a counterfeiter to go to the trouble to make an older model in low demand and create the unusual gimping and other details. The serrations, screws, clip and blade inscriptions look pretty authentic to me. The price may be a little low because part serrate models are sort of out of style now -- just my opinion.
I'll check when I get home but I think that model predates the logo being on every blade. I don't think mine has a logo.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

VashHash wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:
I'll check when I get home but I think that model predates the logo being on every blade. I don't think mine has a logo.
Correct VashHash. Early examples of the C95 Manix and C101 83mm Manix do not have the :spyder: om the blade.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The Deacon wrote:
VashHash wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:
Correct VashHash. Early examples of the C95 Manix and C101 83mm Manix do not have the :spyder: om the blade.
Thanks for the confirmation. I just checked mine and it looks the same.
Messser

Post by Messser »

VashHash wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
VashHash wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:
Thanks for the confirmation. I just checked mine and it looks the same.

Thanks at alls
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

I don't know how spyderco rolls with obvious fakes without the brand logo, but the knives are obvious Spyderco designs

the situation is getting out of hand

Police knock offs

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-sell ... st=ae803_3

Tusk Knock Off

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/Miker-Tu ... st=ae803_3

Positron knock off

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/Miker-sp ... st=ae803_3

Spydiechef knock off

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/Miker-sp ... st=ae803_3
The Snowman

Post by The Snowman »

I recently sent Spyderco an email with around 30-odd fake Spydie sellers. Shame they don't have some sort of international trademark agreement with China, but then again, Chinese economy thrives off of US trade. :D
~Jonathan, the Snowman.
Fritzbert

Post by Fritzbert »

He sold already 51 fakes of the one model on ebay.de:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/C81-Schwarz-Klin ... 0005.m1851
Rhix

Post by Rhix »

:( I hope this will help someone else from purchasing a counterfeit Spyderco. Sorry for the long post and no photos, but I've already boxed it up to send back. Also, I've learned my lesson and I won't make this mistake again. After purchasing 15-20 knives on Amazon I finally got burned on a DigiCam PM2. Some of the common mistakes on fakes mentioned in the forum and on YouTube were not present. The scales were the same color and texture of genuine Spyderco scales. The squared off edge near the lock had been rounded off and looked correct until I looked at it with a loupe. The blade when examined under 20x magnification had swirls of copper and a light blue metal and the surface of the blade leads me to believe that it was cast in a mold. There were pits in the metal where the jimping is and the jimping was the wrong shape as pointed out in several YouTube videos. The laser engraving appeared a rusty brown color and under magnification you could see what I would describe as spatter balls around the perimeter. The shape of the spider's mouth was wrong, too narrow and too long and the plunge line had about a 45 degree angle on each side. The lanyard tube wasn't chamfered and the spider logo on the clip was wrong too. The clip is about a mm too wide and actually covered the edge of the lanyard tube when swapped to tip up. The clip screws were 1/2mm farther apart than the real ones and the screws were different. The correct color, texture and geometry of the scales had me second guessing myself until I examined it more closely and compared it to several genuine Spyderco knives. I could see how someone new to Spyderco could have been fooled by this knife. I don't know if the forum rules allow me to divulge the seller's name, but it was a third party vendor and fulfilled by Amazon. The problem I have about burning the vendor is that I have no way of knowing if they were complicit in selling a fake or not. The box had two layers of tape on each end and the first layer had been cut. That makes me wonder if someone got a real PM 2 and returned a fake one, then an Amazon warehouse employee took a quick look at it thought it looked ok and slapped another layer of tape on the box. I'm reluctant to send it back because even though I've notified the big A that it's fake, they may sell it again and the next guy may not know any better. My worry is that the blade or lock might fail and cause someone to get hurt, or If nothing else think that Spyderco makes a crappy product. If money wasn't an issue I'd destroy it and take it out of circulation, but anyhow I hope everyone has a good day. Thanks.
Walrus2001

Post by Walrus2001 »

If you see any "spyderco" knives that seem too cheap, its better to see if the knife has any reviews or to check references with the seller. Many knife brands like Eafengrow have been producing the exact same type of knife designs where scammers try to cover up the branding and sell as Spyderco. Just good to check reviews and references.
jousmit19

Post by jousmit19 »