Suit knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: Suit knife

Post by Donut »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Donut wrote:I say the Carbon Fiber Caly 3 is a serious dress knife.
Same here. Eventually I'll get a CF Chaparral too for this role.
Why not a stealth Chaparral? :D
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Go bold, Orange Handle Rock Salt in a leg holster. You could cut the cake with it!
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Sorry but outside Spyderco takes this role

CRK Mnandi
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (20.76 KiB) Viewed 2717 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (8.54 KiB) Viewed 2717 times
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

DF2 all the way
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would not get the Sage 5. The reason is simple: weight. With blue jeans a little weight is fine. With a suit or tux it is not. Keep it slim and light. That means a Chaparral, Delica, Salt 2, Dragonfly, or Urban Light Weight (slip joint). You could also pair this with a small SAK classic SD so you would have scissors.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

+1 on the Chaparral. Any rendition would suit your needs (pun intended), but I prefer the 3.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

My favorite knives for formal occasions are; C22 CF Michael Walker, C42 PE Viele, Cento Memory, Kopa, GB Air.. Might be a bit of a challenge to get some of these at the moment though

The Techno is sweet, but a bit chunky and doesn't really go well with the thinner fabric in a suit or tux..
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Personally I don't think that suits and tactical looking knives go together so like others have mentioned, I go outside the Spyderco realm if I'm wearing a suit (even the Ladybug on my keys will disappear until I'm back in "normal" clothes). Most times I'm wearing a suit I'll have a CRK Mnandi in my pocket (I'd never clip to a suit). Very occasionally I'll go with a traditional.

If it had to be a Spydie, of the knives I own, I'd go Kopa or Memory. Personally, I'd even regard my DF2s or Chaparral as "too tactical" for a suit. Of the ones I don't own, an Air or a Des Horn (hmmmm, these are all discontinued).

But hey, if the OP is considering an OTF with a suit .... "too tactical" isn't an issue for him and pretty much anything can be used, take the Para!!
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

I was thinking something like this when I said OTF:

The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

You are looking for a gentleman's folder.

Are you going to clip the knife to your pants pocket with the clip visible or are you looking for something that will be concealed fully in your pocket and out of sight?
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
ConspicuousConsumption

bryan123 wrote:You are looking for a gentleman's folder.

Are you going to clip the knife to your pants pocket with the clip visible or are you looking for something that will be concealed fully in your pocket and out of sight?
During the ceremony and photos I'll definitely have it inside my pocket, no clip visible. Once the liquor starts flowing, though, I'll either clip it to my pants front pocket or rear pocket.
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
setldown

Post by setldown »

With all the sprints and exclusives how can anybody save-up for a suit?
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

ConspicuousConsumption wrote:

During the ceremony and photos I'll definitely have it inside my pocket, no clip visible. Once the liquor starts flowing, though, I'll either clip it to my pants front pocket or rear pocket.
If you could have it inside your pocket with no clip visible the whole time I would say 100% the Roadie or maybe even a SAK Cadet or an Opinel #6, which are my three favorite dress/ gentlemen's knives.

Are you gifting knives to your groomsmen/ ushers, and if not then why not? :)
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
anycal

Post by anycal »

How come nobody mentioned the UK Penknife? Maybe I missed it?

It may not look as classy, or be as much of a gentlemen's folder as the Military ;) , but it is light (1.9oz), deep carry, Golden made, and can be had in S110V for $84.
Peter
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

setldown wrote:With all the sprints and exclusives how can anybody save-up for a suit?
Well I don't know about anybody else but I bought most of my suits before I started buying Spydercos :D. Live and learn...
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
ConspicuousConsumption

bryan123 wrote:
bryan123 wrote:
I don't have groomsmen, but maybe I'll get my brother something.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

bryan123 wrote:

If you could have it inside your pocket with no clip visible the whole time I would say 100% the Roadie or maybe even a SAK Cadet or an Opinel #6, which are my three favorite dress/ gentlemen's knives.

Are you gifting knives to your groomsmen/ ushers, and if not then why not? :)
is this little Opi not gentleman enough of a knife then? :(

jaxonunit

Post by jaxonunit »

I really think you should reconsider you position on tactical. :D

Tenacious Black Blade---Resilience---Persistence---Ambitious---Cara Cara 2---Hawkbill ---Manbug ---Tenacious Full SpyderEdge---Raven 2---Robin2---Matriarch 2

I'm only using black until Spyderco comes out with something darker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

standy99 wrote:Sorry but outside Spyderco takes this role

CRK Mnandi

image.jpegimage.jpeg
Yeah, but how do you open it without the hole? :confused:

At first glance I think:

1. Take it out of your pocket.
2. Give it to someone else. :rolleyes:
3. Ask that someone else to open it for you. :cool:

I suppose that's pretty good for a gentleman's knife. No one wants a hooligan easily opening a knife infront of them. :D
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

ConspicuousConsumption wrote:By the way, a PM2 isn't ideal for a suit knife...
That's the conventional wisdom but I think it is OK. My daughter is getting married soon and of my knives, the nicest are my PM2 with M4 and CF, and my Manix 2 XL with S90V and CF. I'll pick one of those, probably the PM2. I carry a PM2 with a suit occasionally and I wouldn't mind any of my PM2s except that my suits are dark and the CF scales are the only ones I have that will not clash with a dark suit.