The Wire Clip: express your love, hate, indifference

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How do you feel about the wire clip?

Prefer it to the standard clip
37%
Prefer the standard clip
16%
Indifferent to it
11%
Wish there were more current Spyderco versions w/ the wire clip
35%

Total votes: 240

Bdubs808

Re: The Wire Clip: express your love, hate, indifference

Post by Bdubs808 »

The wire clip is awesome in my opinion, from the Slysz Bowie's deep carry version, to the Manix LWs, the DF2s, the Calys, and the Cat. I put the deep carry clip from my Cat onto my Manix LW and it functions just great. I also love the classic stamped clip.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I like the wire clip but don't have any issues with the standard clip as long as it's mounted as far to the back of the handle as possible like on the G10 Manix. Given the size of the handle on the PM2 I have no issues where the clip is on that model but IMO, the para 3 clip location is too far forward, considering the size of the knife. The wire clip is definitely a win on the DF, Chap and LW Manix.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Small knives - okay, mid to large - not okay. I really wish the SS Dfly would get an overhaul. Wire clip, and same build as FRN ones. Clip is too far forward on it. Knife end gets caught on pocket, plus if the clip was farther back a bit, it would be easier to one hand open (finger leverage purchase point).
- best wishes, Jazz.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

abbazaba wrote:
roger-roger wrote:I started 2017 with two recently acquired 90's NOS Spyderco and thought most of my knife needs fulfilled for the medium term. What changed my attitude was the Manix 2 LW. Since then I've acquired a Sage 2, but have been very limited in finding other wire clip equipped models that fit my needs. Otoh there are a number of Spyderco models that I like, but have the standard clip.
Well said brother! +1 on the Native5 LW

FWIW, I think all wire clips should be deep carry.

A wire-clipped Native 5 LW would imo become the perfect 3", to complement my Manix 2 LW! What a versatile pair. Such a Native 5 in a sweet stainless alloy, is my most coveted currently unavailable Spyderco.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Evil D wrote:Small or very lightweight knives = wire clip
Large and heavier knives = hourglass clip or equivalent

I love the wire clip but it just doesn't suit larger heavier knives, it doesn't clip strong enough and doesn't provide enough traction. It's absolutely perfect for knives like the Dragonfly though.
Agree, good point. I have an hourglass clipped VG-10 Stretch 2 on my wishlist this year, and its time is approaching very soon. :)
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

For me, it's good the wire clip isn't on every light weight knife. For instance, if the new Jess Horn had a wire clip, I might have found the perfect knife and not try to find the next one...for a while, at least.

I definitely carry my wire-clipped knives the most, but I prefer the small to mid-sized knives.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

My only wire clipped knife is a Manix 2 lightweight. I really like it and it feels easier on the pocket lip than my hourglass clips. I can see the point about the stamped clips being better suited to heavy knives, but I never carry a folder heavier than a PM2, and I'd bet a wire clip could hold that pretty securely.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

I think they're very good for reasons already mentioned but I wish they would put a serious black on them. Deep carry clips that blind you kinda defeat the purpose.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Midnightrider wrote:I think they're very good for reasons already mentioned but I wish they would put a serious black on them. Deep carry clips that blind you kinda defeat the purpose.
Yes, DLC on pocket clips would be awesome. I wear a polished DLC over stainless steel watch and it still looks fantastic after two years' use, including a fair bit of crawl space work. DLC is amazing stuff.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

roger-roger wrote:

I love the wire clip but it just doesn't suit larger heavier knives, it doesn't clip strong enough and doesn't provide enough traction. It's absolutely perfect for knives like the Dragonfly though.
Agree, good point. I have an hourglass clipped VG-10 Stretch 2 on my wishlist this year, and its time is approaching very soon. :)
Agree also with the caveat that the mounting points of wire clips are as The Deacon described if not worse! :eek:

Roger,

The hourglass clipped Stretch VG-10 is Very Good!
The hourglass clipped Stretch ZDP-189 is Zuper Do Par! ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
archangel

Post by archangel »

Wire clip in deep pocket carry design, that's my favourite.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I don't love or hate them. I like them if done well. Like any clip it has to be just right. For whatever reasons the ones I've tried haven't lasted as long. They tend to be less sharp, stabby and more comfortable when done properly.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

100% AGREE
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

... It's absolutely perfect for knives like the Dragonfly though.
Definitely agree. There are a few more that I would like to see the wire clip on. But on my DF2s it's perfection. I guess I just like the minimalist look they have.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I love the deep carry wire clip on the Sage 2 and Caly 3.

Would not want it on a PM2 or Military...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

I much prefer the hourglass clip to a wire clip. I like how inconspicuous the wire clips are, but an hourglass clip is so much easier to get in and out of pocket one-handed.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Huh. You know, I love both clips, but I didn't really ever think about it this way, and this matches my preferences so far.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Agreed David. It's perfect on my Urban.

Ken
bh49

Post by bh49 »

kbuzbee wrote:

Ken
Good to see you Ken :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

bh49 wrote:
kbuzbee wrote:

Ken
Good to see you Ken :)
You too, Roman!

Ken