Suit knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Suit knife

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I've carried my positron in a suit. It's slim profile and carbon fiber scales make for an excellent suit knife. I highly recommend it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Chaparral, classy,small, and a slicey demon.
Josh
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

A Kopa, if you can find one, is my strongest recommendation. Despite the Kopa rec, a Bradley Air is my most carried in a suit.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I've carried the Caly series in suits or a tux. It is usually my "going to a wedding" knife. I say the Carbon Fiber Caly 3 is a serious dress knife.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
levs18

Post by levs18 »

When I think of a suit knife, I think of something with a smooth handle, like titanium, that won't tear up the pockets when you take it out. The sage and chaparral would be good choices. I also think the dice or domino would be good options, but may be a bit heavy. I would also think the OP should check out the mantra. It would also be a great opportunity to check out a new steel, M4. I know the OP doesn't have any blades in that steel yet.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the OP chooses for the wedding!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Please excuse my ignorance! I'm Australian! ;)

Apart from the cake and what's on your plate what else do you cut at weddings? :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
remnar

Post by remnar »

For a wedding the only thing you need is a Rescue. ;)
levs18

Post by levs18 »

Adding one more, Lil' Lum Nishijin.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Bradley Air. Though personally, in my suit I just carry a Delica lightweight clipless in my pocket. Nobody sees it, so it needn't be fancy.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

I wear a suit to work and I carry a Blurple Millie in a rear pants pocket. The color seems to disappear against various blue fabrics and I just love the knife and never feel like I don't have enough knife with me.

The Native 5 LW is a good choice if you want something small that is more handy and useful than you could imagine.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Donut wrote:I say the Carbon Fiber Caly 3 is a serious dress knife.
Same here. Eventually I'll get a CF Chaparral too for this role.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I will add that the Centofante looks pretty good for this role at 2.5 oz. I have no direct experience with this knife, however. (I keep thinking I'll buy one one of these days)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Bill1170 wrote:Bradley Air. Though personally, in my suit I just carry a Delica lightweight clipless in my pocket. Nobody sees it, so it needn't be fancy.

+3 on the Bradley Air, although my go to for dress slacks is a Gen 2 Delica with integrated FRN clip.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

ClipiTool.

Small and classy looking with a bottle opener! Can't go wrong with that combo at a wedding. :)

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... pener-/856
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

Thanks everyone for the awesome advice! I hope no one gets offended when I don't pick their favorite - there can only be one!

So far, it's sounding like I'll go either the route of the Chaparral or the Sage 5 (huge fan of the Compression Lock). Basically, do I go for the small size of the Chaparral or the amazing beauty of the Sage 5 lock?

Chaparral
Pros: new steel I don't have, as thin as you can go, carbon fiber, clip
Cons: not a Compression Lock

Sage 5
Pros: Compression Lock, carbon fiber, clip
Cons: S30V (not a huge fan), bigger than the Chap

I'm surprised no one has advised the Techno. Why not?
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I would go a whole different direction.. Slippie for me.. My son just got married this past June and I had an SAK with scissors.. You would have been surprised how much it got used that day.. I was!! :D John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Personal top 5 picks (in no particular order)
Buck 500 Duke
Spyderco Des Horn
Spyderco Kopa
Raffir Noble Chaparral
Centofante Memory
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Dont wear a knife on your wedding day, you're there to tie the knot, not cut the tie. Hmm, tie could be 'TI' and knot could be 'nautical', whats both TI and nautical: The Tusk. Plus you can use it to undo the knot if you decide to divorce.
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

Cheddarnut wrote:Dont wear a knife on your wedding day, you're there to tie the knot, not cut the tie. Hmm, tie could be 'TI' and knot could be 'nautical', whats both TI and nautical: The Tusk. Plus you can use it to undo the knot if you decide to divorce.
Ha, so you're saying I should get the Tusk and keep it handy! I may take that advice yet.
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
RSV2400

Post by RSV2400 »

I second the Des Horn recommendation. I don't think Spyderco has ever put out a sweeter looking gentlemen's knife, with a smoother action. It's a piece of art. S30V; strong tip, even though it looks delicate. The other great thing is since they've been out there for so long, you can pick up the knife in the $117 to $125 range from several well trusted vendors. Saves more for the honeymoon!