The Wire Clip: express your love, hate, indifference

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How do you feel about the wire clip?

Prefer it to the standard clip
37%
Prefer the standard clip
16%
Indifferent to it
11%
Wish there were more current Spyderco versions w/ the wire clip
35%

Total votes: 240

roger-roger

The Wire Clip: express your love, hate, indifference

Post by roger-roger »

I started 2017 with two recently acquired 90's NOS Spyderco and thought most of my knife needs fulfilled for the medium term. What changed my attitude was the Manix 2 LW. Since then I've acquired a Sage 2, but have been very limited in finding other wire clip equipped models that fit my needs. Otoh there are a number of Spyderco models that I like, but have the standard clip.
vilePossum

Re: The Wire Clip: express your love, hate, indifference

Post by vilePossum »

Just in my opinion the best clip on any production knife I have yet encountered.
I wish more models had that option, hence the vote.
Currently carrying a native 5 LW... a wire clip on it would just be awesome.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

love any clip that is deep carry
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I love it except on titanium knives. On titanium it moves around and scratches the scale too much.

I think I like it because it's so minimalistic and simple. I don't care about deep carry or anything like that.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

roger-roger wrote:I started 2017 with two recently acquired 90's NOS Spyderco and thought most of my knife needs fulfilled for the medium term. What changed my attitude was the Manix 2 LW. Since then I've acquired a Sage 2, but have been very limited in finding other wire clip equipped models that fit my needs. Otoh there are a number of Spyderco models that I like, but have the standard clip.
Well said brother! +1 on the Native5 LW

FWIW, I think all wire clips should be deep carry.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like them and think they look good. I have no issues with them.

That said, deep carry and discretion mean very little to me so my preferred clip will always be the sturdier one. I like both but prefer the hourglass clip.

It doesn't really sway my decision to buy a knife either way. I'll take either one.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

vilePossum wrote:Just in my opinion the best clip on any production knife I have yet encountered.
I wish more models had that option, hence the vote.
Currently carrying a native 5 LW... a wire clip on it would just be awesome.
Great idea for a poll.

I would LOVE a Native LW with wire clip.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Small or very lightweight knives = wire clip
Large and heavier knives = hourglass clip or equivalent

I love the wire clip but it just doesn't suit larger heavier knives, it doesn't clip strong enough and doesn't provide enough traction. It's absolutely perfect for knives like the Dragonfly though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I prefer the standard clip on Manix/PM-sized knives. The wire clip on my Superleaf looks out of proportion (even though it performs just fine). On smaller Spydies I'm fine with the wire clip. But on my Techno, it looks out of proportion to my eyes. For that matter, the standard clip on the Tatanka is out of proportion. So, would I go to war on this matter? Not a chance.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hard call, not. As someone who removes the clip from any knife I carry, except autos, it mostly becomes a question of which looks worse - 3 relatively neat looking round holes at every corner or two hideously ugly trenches gouged out of each side of the scales at the back.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Love it. It's my personal favorite.
Josh
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Wire clips are awesome and I'd LOVE to see the Manbug have a wire clip option!
timlara

Post by timlara »

I agree w/ Evil D, that it kind of depends on the size of the knife. Anything up to around Sage size is much, much better with a wire clip to me.

Anything larger / heavier than that, intended as more of a "hard use" type of knife is probably better suited with the hourglass clip. I pretty much always wear jeans, so I don't have any issues with the retention of wire clips -- in fact, I find they function better than stamped or milled clips, as they tear up my pockets less -- but I think there is a bias among people who like harder use knives that the wire clips are not sturdy enough. I'm not sure how true that is in practical use, and it's really not too difficult or expensive to replace a clip even if it does break, but I also don't really have a horse in the race since I don't tend to carry larger knives anymore.
Tim
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I have no problem with the hourglass clip, I like it. But I think I do prefer the wire clip, at least on certain models, it is probably my favorite clip. I also do wish the wire clip was available on some that it's not, the native 5 as mentioned is one. I have noticed that the sturdiness and gauge varies from model to model to though, I prefer the more study ones.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I like the deep carry wire clips on some models, mostly FRN, prefer stamped on others but like deep carry stamped the best.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like both types, but what I really like about the Wire Clip after carrying the P'Kal around for a while is that it is Shorter than a standard clip, is way more lower key than a standard clip, and is both easier to clip to the pocket and remove from the pocket than a standard clip(this makes it easier on your pockets too). Though the standard clip is stouter and more aesthetically pleasing the wire clips are much sturdier and more functional than I thought they would be. I hope to see more models with wire clips. The Q-Ball is one on my list.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I prefer almost any deep pocket carry clip. In addition, so many knife makers now style their clips to match particular knife models, and now we're seeing innovations such as integrated retractable clips, that I've long felt Spyderco's off-the-shelf, one-size-fits-all model is a bit long in the tooth. For almost every Spyderco purchased I spend additional time and dollars buying a deep carry clip from a third party with mixed results.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D wrote:Small or very lightweight knives = wire clip
Large and heavier knives = hourglass clip or equivalent

I love the wire clip but it just doesn't suit larger heavier knives, it doesn't clip strong enough and doesn't provide enough traction. It's absolutely perfect for knives like the Dragonfly though.
This^^ except I propose a heavy gauge wire clip for the Millie. Not heavy in "can't get out pocket" but more like "will not bend"
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

A wire clip is good for putting a small knife on the outside your underwear band so that nothing is digging into your skin.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

prefer low riding wire clip
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian