How to DULL the spyderfly / Szabofly?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

How to DULL the spyderfly / Szabofly?

Post by GarageBoy »

I'll probably pick up a Szabofly when it comes out, but how would I go and dull it w/o damaging the shiny finish?
Senate

Post by Senate »

Don't dull it, duck tape it! :)
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

How about clear tape?
spyderknut

Quack!

Post by spyderknut »

Duct tape. ;)
Senate

Post by Senate »

[quote="spyderknut"]Duct tape. ]

lol, my mistake sorry... spare the life of the Duck Garage Boy! :D
Senate

Post by Senate »

Clear tape won't be resistant and thick enough to protect your hand, unless you put many layers... especially for the tip.
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

You know that colored, rubbery thing on the handles of wire cutter? You can buy a can in any home-depot and apply just a little on the edge of your knife with a brush and let it try. When you want the edge, just peel it off, when you want to practice safely, apply another coat. More trouble but safer and looks cooler...especially if you choose the red one :)

-Dean
JD Spydo

Safety First!!!!

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah!! They ought to make a red handled "Trainer" version of these guys too.
When I got my Cold Steel ARc ANgel last year I already had my band aids on hand. Don't forget the Neo Sporin. :D
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

There is always clear "duct" tape. But I plan on going with the "liquid coating" right after I draw first blood :D I'm just stubbern that way :eek:
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Spyderco edges are very unforgiving and the weight of the Spyderfly handles makes the blade bite even deeper when you screw up. Also, the large space between the handles of the Spyderfly makes rolling onto the edge or at least "shaving" your thumb much more likely than with standard balis.

Since a trainer version of the Spyderfly probably isn't forthcoming, I'd recommend buying two knives and dulling one permanently. Tape the sides of the blade or use padded vise jaws to prevent marring when you clamp it edge up in your vise. Then, with a fine mill file, draw file the edge until it's at least about 1/32-inch wide. Then get some fine emery paper (220 grit shop rolls work best) and use a shoeshine motion to round the edge. You should also round and polish the tip, because even with a dull edge, the tip can really bite and puncture.

If you have access to a 1X30 or 1X42 belt sander, you can do all this even faster. I prefer slack belt grinding to remove the edge since the belt follows the edge contours better.

Stay safe,
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Thanks, I think Spyderco did that to their show Szabofly. I'll go that route, but til I get money for 2, I'll use the handle stuff
fret

Post by fret »

I bought a bali and it was not sharpened. The literature said they did not sharpen it because it would be dangerous. Then I bought another bali that was sharp. Big, bloody, mistake. lol I retired the sharp one before I needed a transfusion. The dull one is lost somewhere in the house??? I'll practice opening my Dragonfly or Delica.