Maxamet or S110V?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
StuttgartMadness

Maxamet or S110V?

Post by StuttgartMadness »

Hey guys, I'm looking at purchasing a Native 5 LW in a bit, and was wondering what the functional difference between Maxamet and S110V is, and why Maxamet is $30 more...

Just a quick question, thanks for reading.
Currently lusting after the PM2 in S110V... And the Para 3... And the Military... And pretty much everything else...

"A man without a knife, is a man without a life"
-Anonymous (This guy has some great quotes)
jpm2

Re: Maxamet or S110V?

Post by jpm2 »

I'll go out on a limb and say maxamet blades are 7-8 hrc points harder than s110v, which means magnitudes stronger, and still possibly tougher.
StuttgartMadness

jpm2 wrote:I'll go out on a limb and say maxamet blades are 7-8 hrc points harder than s110v, which means magnitudes stronger, and still possibly tougher.
So better edge retention? (HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE LOL)
Currently lusting after the PM2 in S110V... And the Para 3... And the Military... And pretty much everything else...

abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Both probably have similar edge retention in use, with Maxamet having a theoretical advantage. S110v is virtually perfect with great corrosion resistance and holds a working edge forever. Maxamet is the new hotness with a fun name. It cuts more aggressively and is not a stainless steel.

If you want a blade that needs little attention and is difficult to make rust, but is also difficult to sharpen - go with the S110v.

If you want a blade that needs more attention and can rust if neglected, but is also easier to sharpen - go with the Maxamet.

If you like blue more than grey... :) I have both and they are fantastic knives.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

abbazaba wrote:Both probably have similar edge retention in use, with Maxamet having a theoretical advantage. S110v is virtually perfect with great corrosion resistance and holds a working edge forever. Maxamet is the new hotness with a fun name. It cuts more aggressively and is not a stainless steel.

If you want a blade that needs little attention and is difficult to make rust, but is also difficult to sharpen - go with the S110v.

If you want a blade that needs more attention and can rust if neglected, but is also easier to sharpen - go with the Maxamet.

If you like blue more than grey... :) I have both and they are fantastic knives.
I notice which one you like after looking at your avatar. ;)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

abbazaba wrote:Both probably have similar edge retention in use, with Maxamet having a theoretical advantage. S110v is virtually perfect with great corrosion resistance and holds a working edge forever. Maxamet is the new hotness with a fun name. It cuts more aggressively and is not a stainless steel.

Wait, easier to sharpen? I haven't heard that yet. Very interesting.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
StuttgartMadness

abbazaba wrote:If you want a blade that needs more attention and can rust if neglected, but is also easier to sharpen - go with the Maxamet.
I definitely want ease of sharpening as I don't have a Sharpmaker yet (it's on the list) Though with the money I save with the S110V version I'm already halfway to a Sharpmaker...

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have used both a lot.

I find Maxamet easier to sharpen and it some how also seems to stay sharp longer. I cannot explain this.

S110V is extremely stainless while Maxamet definitely is not and stains quite easily.

I have not had any durability issues with either so I cannot comment on my experiences in that area.

If you value corrosion resistance get the S110V but if not then go with Maxamet. I like Maxamet much more.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sounds like Maxamet is like M4 on steroids.
~David
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I'm not so sure maxamet is easier to grind, but where it shines for me when sharpening is the minimal blurring. It seems much easier to get a clean edge coming off stones/plates.
There are some steels that are aggravating to me because they burr so easily, even with the lightest touch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jpm2 wrote:I'm not so sure maxamet is easier to grind, but where it shines for me when sharpening is the minimal blurring. It seems much easier to get a clean edge coming off stones/plates.
There are some steels that are aggravating to me because they burr so easily, even with the lightest touch.
This was my experience with 154CM. I hated that steel more than most.
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Vandium vs. Tungsten
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Evil D wrote:
jpm2 wrote:I'm not so sure maxamet is easier to grind, but where it shines for me when sharpening is the minimal blurring. It seems much easier to get a clean edge coming off stones/plates.
Yeah that's one of them, and most other stainless steels in the ~60 and less hrc range.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

jpm2 wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Yeah that's one of them, and most other stainless steels in the ~60 and less hrc range.
This has been my experience as well, and the reason I have not purchased a stainless steel blade in a very long time, much preferring a good high end tool steel, K390 and Maxamet being my current favorites.

I did take a leap of faith yesterday however and ordered a Manix 2 in CPM S110V just out of curiosity to experience this steel. I expect it to be harder than most stainless and I am hopeful it will give me an edge at least somewhat close to my tool steel choices. The high Cr. content worries me a bit regarding the burr formation and clean edge, but I know I will have no difficulty sharpening a harder steel on my Edge Pro.
I sincerely hope I will not find CPM S110V to be just another stainless steel ......
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have carried both Maxamet and s110v quite a bit (in the Manix 2 LW).

I prefer the Maxamet, but I live in a very dry place and I generally clean my blades fairly well after use.

If I was looking for a low maintenance EDC, I'd go with s110v. I prefer the (ridiculous) edge holding on the Maxamet, and am willing to trade that for the (lack of) stainlessness.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

If you must have stainless go with S110V otherwise Maxamet.

Personally, I almost always opt for stainless given a choice. It has to do with salt, sand, sweat and sea.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

well gee... thanks to this thread I now feel the need to get a Native in Maxamet to directly compare it to my S110V :P
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

TomAiello wrote:I have carried both Maxamet and s110v quite a bit (in the Manix 2 LW).

I prefer the Maxamet, but I live in a very dry place and I generally clean my blades fairly well after use.

If I was looking for a low maintenance EDC, I'd go with s110v. I prefer the (ridiculous) edge holding on the Maxamet, and am willing to trade that for the (lack of) stainlessness.
This entire thread has been very helpful. I live in a dry climate as well and have been edc'ing my Manix 2 LW in Maxamet, which has become my favorite steel to date. Because of the help and input from all here I have made the decision to return the S110V Manix 2 I recently ordered and exchange it for another Manix 2 LW in Maxamet. I know what my current Maxamet blade will do for me, and I would not be happy putting my own edge on a new knife only to find it to be just another stainless steel.

I would like to thank all who posted on this topic. You have all helped me a lot and have confirmed my own experiences with Maxamet. :)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

El Gato, it seems you and I have the same opinion of stainless steel blades. One exception imo is zdp-189, but it lacks the toughness of HSS at similar hardness.
I've noticed knife steels that easily burr, also easily roll or flatten the edge when contacting something hard.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

jpm2 wrote:El Gato, it seems you and I have the same opinion of stainless steel blades.
I've noticed knife steels that easily burr, also easily roll or flatten the edge when contacting something hard.
This has been my experience as well. I don't require corrosion resistance and I am so "spoiled" by 4V, K390 and Maxamet that the only other possible option for me might be the PMA11. For me, it's all about blade steel and performance, all else being secondary.
Of course it doesn't help that I tend to be "picky" about the way a steel sharpens for me.
Life is hard .......