World Trade Center

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cricket

World Trade Center

Post by cricket »

I know people have probably posted on this knife already, but at the risk of being redundant, I feel compelled to write. I ordered the WTC Knife a few days ago and it arrived today. I'm born/raised in New York City...so there was something pretty personal about the WTC attack. I saved up for the knife because I thought it an appropriate memorial to the victims and heroes of that September 11th, and to the Spirit of the City and the United States. I also knew that any profits would REALLY go to the "New York Police and Fire Widows and Children's Benefit Fund".
I was not prepared for the flood of feelings that came in when I saw the knife. My wife and I both just sat there quietly for a while and I found myself tearing up. I slowly began to look at what we had. The knife is tasteful and artistically made, and mine is numbered in honor of the 1,374th person that died that day. The wooden box it's displayed/kept in, is lined with velvet with velvet on the outside bottom. The lid is lasar cut with the same scene of the towers that's on the knife, and the Spyderco emblem is in the top right corner.
There's a hand signed letter from Sal and Gail Glesser. And as if that's not enough for one lifetime, there's also a MeerKat enclosed "..as a Thank You in appreciation for your contribution..."
I am speechless to express my feelings for Sal and Gail and the Spyderco Crew for doing this so beautifully. That's why I took the time to describe what happened. God bless.
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

Thanks for your post, very generous of you.
Even if I don't own one of the WTC knives, there is definitly something special about them. Find a nice little place to display it and you can be proud to help the city if New York with your contribution.

-Dean
freeman7

WTC contribution

Post by freeman7 »

I spoke to Eric Glesser at the NYCKS yesterday and he said that Spyderco just sent a contribution of $40,000 from the WTC project. Well done, Spyderco, Inc and all ELU's who helped out.
vTek

Post by vTek »

You weren't redundant at all, thanks for posting this!
Senate

Post by Senate »

I think I'll buy mine for Christmas, my first and only one FRN... Usually I'm not into FRN but this knife represent much more.
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

As a former vollie firefighter for 19 years and instructor, this is a knife that is my next "to get" as I feel the significance of that event. I remember exactly how the day unfolded due to various events. There is more I could write, but not now. From the computer I can veiw a particularly signigicant piece of art titled, "A Prayer for My Brother". Please forgive my post, but it still breaks my heart today. Nice job Sal and Eric,...nice job.
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Now Jimbo's post is an excellent example of what Spyderco's efforts with this very special knife are all about. Good job Jimbo!

However, and I have been critical about this before, I still can't figure out why in the world there are no 2819 moved patriots to be found in the etire USA willing and able to spent 225 bucks to make this knife a sellout in the first week of it's appearence.

If anyone feels critisized, I'm sorry but this is how I see it. Wining and crying doesn't help the victims. Hold your horses with your reply's while as you might know since 14 days The Netherlands is also gotten into the crossfire of international terrorist attacks and they are killing anf theatening people (filmmakers and politicians) in my country as well.

Now I've bought 2, so one of you all is off the hook, but see to it that the rest of these fine pieces is sold asap and forget for one time the selfishness of buying only what You want, instead of what helps others in need.

Thank you all for allowing me to let off steam!
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

cricket,
I think your post is very appropriate. I have #0242 and I've been thinking of getting another to give to a local "SAS" person. I wonder how many are remaining to sell.
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
Ray.Hood

God Bless New York City.

Post by Ray.Hood »

Ain't this country great? Brings a tear to me eye.
cricket

Post by cricket »

It is great to see positive responses from outside the US to my post: Canada (3), France, and the Netherlands. It was also good to hear that Spyderco turned over $40,000 to the cause! I am sorry my wife and I couldn't make the NYC show this past weekend to give our thanks in person.
I'm sure a number of the issue remain for sale.
Again, thanks to the Sal and the whole Spyderco crew.
Steve

PS: Got to say...LOVE Montreal and we make it up there about 5X a year.
S
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

40 000/225(msrp)= app. 178 knives sold....2641 still available. I really should get some dough together and buy one
Shiden

Post by Shiden »

Jimmy_Dean wrote:40 000/225(msrp)= app. 178 knives sold....2641 still available. I really should get some dough together and buy one
If that's true, it would be very disappointing...

I don't have the funds, but if I had I would buy one or two in a heart beat.

Shiden
Senate

Post by Senate »

Jimmy_Dean wrote:40 000/225(msrp)= app. 178 knives sold....2641 still available. I really should get some dough together and buy one
it would be a bad and a "not so bad" news...

bad: 178 sold... **** I thought there were more people intersted in kinves :confused:

"not so bad": that means I have a month or two to gather money to buy one... or two.
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

freeman7 wrote:I spoke to Eric Glesser at the NYCKS yesterday and he said that Spyderco just sent a contribution of $40,000 from the WTC project.
I would expect that this was the latest contribution, especially being in NYC. I think that many more than 178 have been sold, since I picked up mine more than a year ago. I heard early on that many were looking for numbers that matched their 'badge' numbers too.
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
Goldtanker

Wtc

Post by Goldtanker »

New to the forum. I had thought the commemorative knife was sold out. Glad I happened to look at your site. Originally from New York and I ordered the WTC Knife yesterday. My first experience with Spyderco was about 20 years ago when I ordered a small stainless model, about the size of a Dragonfly, and carried it on the job clipped to the weakside waistband behind the belt for about 10 years until I retired. It looks a little rough but it never got dull or loose. A lot of great information on your forum.

Denny
"They've got us surrounded again ... the poor bastards." - Gen. Creighton Abrams
Spyderco WTC#1394 and #2305
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I could be wrong, but think some of us may be confusing the proceeds of the sales with the profits from those sales, which are what Spyderco states it is donating and which would naturally be somewhat less per knife. In which case $40,000 would equate to the sales of somewhat more knives.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

If memory severs well, they were donating 100% of the profits to the New Yor Police and fire widow's funds(or something close to that)

But yeah, I do believe this donation is their latest contribution, not the only one. Wish Sal was here to clear things up.

-Dean
Senate

Post by Senate »

If someone @ Spyderco could tell us how many are still available?
thanks
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Cricket, myself and my fiance (Casiopeia on the forums) each have one.
The knife build is a work of art, my spydercos are my prized possesions, but the feel of this knife just says something.
Its a great weight, its silky smooth on the FRN and in the opening of the blade.
The design is jaw dropping, and we also got a meerkat, one of my favorite knifes now.
This is something I am very impressed and grateful to spyderco fir doing.
It makes one feel good that those that lost loved ones will atleast get some help from this.

Kindest Regards

Sheldon
It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum
sal

Post by sal »

We still have quite a few.

As mentioned, we're donating 100% of the profits not proceeds.

tooling and parts costs would be far beyond our ability to donate. Heck, the skylines alone cost in excess of $25 each to process the steel to be able to EDM, EDM, clean, coat, etc.

This is not a cheap knife to produce.

sal