S90V DLC Yojimbo 2 (coyote brown) Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Re: S90V DLC Yojimbo 2 (coyote brown) Exclusive

Post by archangel »

Thanks for all the encouraging feedback. I know I may be breaking my rule at some point. I've already sold some spydies in order to be able to add further models and steels, but you lose too much. So I also decided to quit moving knives. Otherwise I'd move the Native Forum knife in order to get this Yojimbo beauty - I actually already thought of that... but no. For the moment I stick with my rules. Budget issues is the main driver of all that, so it's better this way. My wifey tolerates my hobby for now, I'm not going to risk that.

Back to this beauty. I asked about the action cause I own a Szabo folder, which (unfortunately!!) does not support gravity opening action, even though it's got a compression lock. I can imagine that the Yojimbo blade is heavier than a PM2 blade. So I worried that they built in some resistance for the same reasons like in the Szabo. Good to know that they didn't. :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

archangel wrote:
Back to this beauty. I asked about the action cause I own a Szabo folder, which (unfortunately!!) does not support gravity opening action, even though it's got a compression lock.
Not sure what you mean by gravity opening action but the Szabo has a special internal closing mechanism that helps to keep the blade closed so it won't behave anything like a Yojimbo 2. The lock is even unique from other compression locks.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

I too had that rule for a few months at the genesis of my :spyder: addiction. My wonderful gf gets pleasure in jokingly reminding me of that from time to time :rolleyes:

ETA in Colorado is Monday for this beauty.

Nice knife, holeshot. How you liking those Putman scales? How would you rate the grip compared to the factory G10? I'm thinking of getting a second Yo and swapping out for the same ones you have, but in orange.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

KnickKnackCity wrote:I too had that rule for a few months at the genesis of my :spyder: addiction. My wonderful gf gets pleasure in jokingly reminding me of that from time to time :rolleyes:

Nice knife, holeshot. How you liking those Putman scales? How would you rate the grip compared to the factory G10? I'm thinking of getting a second Yo and swapping out for the same ones you have, but in orange.
Thanks, the grips have similar traction as the G10 and look great.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
palonej

Post by palonej »

Did someone say orange??? :D
These A Putman scales are more comfy than the stock scales and the grip is MUCH better!!
Love them!
Joe

KnickKnackCity wrote:I too had that rule for a few months at the genesis of my :spyder: addiction. My wonderful gf gets pleasure in jokingly reminding me of that from time to time :rolleyes:

Attachments
IMG_1042.JPG
nosuchagency

Post by nosuchagency »

have yote yoji tracking inbound monday here as well.
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

palonej wrote:Did someone say orange??? :D
I definitely share your love of orange knives, Joe. Especially for use in public "no weapons" type settings. I've had the same experience as David with my all black PM2, so my thought is the DLC blade w/orange will only lessen uneasiness if whipped out in the warehouse at work. More of a tool than a SD option.
palonej

Post by palonej »

How true brother!! The orange lightens up the tacticool look!! Also, they look sooooo cool!!
Joe

KnickKnackCity wrote:
palonej wrote:Did someone say orange??? :D
I definitely share your love of orange knives, Joe. Especially for use in public "no weapons" type settings. I've had the same experience as David with my all black PM2, so my thought is the DLC blade w/orange will only lessen uneasiness if whipped out in the warehouse at work. More of a tool than a SD option.
Attachments
IMG_2105.JPG
IMG_2541.JPG
IMG_2651.JPG
IMG_2685.JPG
IMG_2741.JPG
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Still on the fence with this one. I can only do one and debating this or the maxamet para 2
archangel

Post by archangel »

Evil D wrote: Not sure what you mean by gravity opening action...
If you hold the closed knife with the blade side facing the ground, and you push the compression lock, the blade comes out with no need of any movement of the hand, just by gravity. Only a super mini movement of your hand, and good timing releasing the lock push, and your PM2 is open n locked. I guess the Yojimbo offers the same opening action. Sorry if my wording is lacking finesse.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Popsickle wrote:Still on the fence with this one. I can only do one and debating this or the maxamet para 2
do you already own a para2? or a Yojimbo? Get the one you don't have. If you already have one of each or neither, can't help you, that's a tough call.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
rivy

Post by rivy »

Wow, I'm going to have to order one of these. Seeing pricing at 167.97 on various sites, is that MAP? Or did anyone find it for $161?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

archangel wrote:
Evil D wrote: Not sure what you mean by gravity opening action...
If you hold the closed knife with the blade side facing the ground, and you push the compression lock, the blade comes out with no need of any movement of the hand, just by gravity. Only a super mini movement of your hand, and good timing releasing the lock push, and your PM2 is open n locked. I guess the Yojimbo offers the same opening action. Sorry if my wording is lacking finesse.
That's what I thought. The Szabo would likely have issues with that because there's a big spring inside the handle working to keep the blade closed.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I couldn't pass on this.
palonej

Post by palonej »

I kinda know the feeling brother!!! I have one. Put custom scales on it. Have a magnificent gleaming edge on it. Carry it lots. And do NOT need another one for any logical reason whatsoever.........pre ordered mine the second it became available and it will be here Monday.
Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?
:p
Joe
VashHash wrote:I couldn't pass on this.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

palonej wrote:I kinda know the feeling brother!!! I have one. Put custom scales on it. Have a magnificent gleaming edge on it. Carry it lots. And do NOT need another one for any logical reason whatsoever.........pre ordered mine the second it became available and it will be here Monday.
Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?
:p
Joe
VashHash wrote:I couldn't pass on this.
It's a pretty good price point so I had to snag one. I have the CF version and carry it but now I'll have this one in the rotation too.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

What are the odds this will be a collector?

Justin
Justin
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

crazywednesday wrote:What are the odds this will be a collector?

Justin
My Spydercos are all collectable. I collect them to use the heck out of them.
jdw

Post by jdw »

crazywednesday wrote:What are the odds this will be a collector?
If you are looking for a knife to strictly be a collector's piece for profit then you will probably almost always be disappointed. Generally speaking, things made to be collectible aren't collectible at all. If you buy something because you love it then it is automatically a "collector".
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

the price point is much nicer than I was expecting..... considering this or the s90v millie cf/ti.....