Super fine pocket stone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jshperdue

Super fine pocket stone?

Post by jshperdue »

I was wondering if any one knows of any spyderco super fine pocket stones? I recently bought the medium and fine pocket stones and really like them. A super fine would be great but I don't see them available on the website. I just really like that size stone for my pocket knives.
abbazaba

Re: Super fine pocket stone?

Post by abbazaba »

Sharp maker superfine rods are sold individually and easy to make shorter.
FK

Post by FK »

If you flatten the fine pocket stone with a extra fine diamond plate,,, it will become much finer than the standard issue fine ceramic.
This is what Spyderco does for manuf. of the fine vs. extra fine ceramics.

Regards,
FK
mattman

Post by mattman »

FK wrote:If you flatten the fine pocket stone with a extra fine diamond plate,,, it will become much finer than the standard issue fine ceramic.
This is what Spyderco does for manuf. of the fine vs. extra fine ceramics.

Regards,
FK
I'm not sure this is true... My understanding is the ceramic would approach the grit rating of the diamond plate with this method... I am under the impression that two stones that start as fine rating are lapped together to create the "ultra-fine" finish... But I may be miss-remembering the process?
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Lapping on a 1,200 grit diamond will make it finer and use will make it finer still. Did so with my Double Stuff.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

thombrogan wrote:Lapping on a 1,200 grit diamond will make it finer and use will make it finer still. Did so with my Double Stuff.
That's really interesting THOM>> I still have a set of the 702 Profiles ( the shorter version of the 701 Profiles). I've thought for some time that if they do more grit selections of the original 701 Profiles then that tool will be at a completely better and higher level of performance.

I'm all for smaller sharpening tools to be made available in more grit selections. I'm a big fan of manual type sharpening tools and I do think that there should be a bigger selection of them.
jshperdue

Post by jshperdue »

I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and get the larger super fine stone. If the pocket stone would ever become available I would buy a couple. The 4" size is just soo handy.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

jshperdue wrote:I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and get the larger super fine stone. If the pocket stone would ever become available I would buy a couple. The 4" size is just soo handy.
Maybe you don't have many other options.

You can however rub simple blackboard chalk on your fine stone and that may help a little. :)

I think you'll find you can't change the grit size of any abrasive stone irrespective of what you rub it with or on. Undoubtedly you can glaze and blunt a stone if you try hard enough so that it doesn't cut as it should but that's counterproductive because a blunt stone will only push a burr. :eek:

I tried flattening an Arkansas Stone (Novaculite) on a diamond plate with minimal pressure and running water and all I can tell you with certainty is, it didn't do the diamond plate any favours and it isn't something I'd try again. :o
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Probably a helpful link and within it, additional links:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/i-t ... s.1256146/
Chris :spyder:
retsailor1969

Post by retsailor1969 »

So I'm new to the forum, and forgive me for any ignorance I may present. I've been actually using the various information that comes back in google returns for my first Spiderco knife. I finally settled on a Delica 4 C11P Stainless. As mentioned I've done research and everything I found pointed me to Spyderco as the top-of-the-line knife. I'm very excited to get it, and to experience first hand the quality of the brand. With all that said, I have no clue what type of anything that I need to keep the blade nice and sharp. All knives that I've ever owned in the past have been Buck, Old Timer, CRKT and Boeker (I think that's the brand). End result, all in my mind good in their own rights, but not Spyiderco. If you could point me in the right direction, I would be greatly appreciative. Keep in mind if you will, I have a family, expenses just like everyone else...so budget is key. Thanks again for the input.

An added note if I may. You all seem to be extremely knowledgeable and the information you present appears to be top notch! With that being said, just assume if you will, that I don't know a thing. Treat me like the novice that I am so I can do things right, the first time. The last thing I want to do is damage a fine blade through stupidity or ignorance. Thanks again.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

The Sharpmaker system by Spyderco is great for sharpening any blade, quite fool proof and hard to mess up/ break..
The standard sharpening rods will do fine for regular sharpening and keeping an edge sharp, might want diamond rods later on when you need to reprofile an edge. Read the instructions and look up some youtube tutorials before you get started and you'll be fine.
With a family you have an extra excuse to get it, this works very well on kitchen knives (usually at the 30 degree setting) and other stuff like scissors.
Without a family I still need very sharp kitchen knives and also use it for wood/bone carving tools. I do have a much more expensive edge pro but actually prefer this for 95% of my sharpening.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Oh and welcome to the forum Retsailor! :D
retsailor1969

Post by retsailor1969 »

Thanks for the reply Joris, I really appreciate the information. I'll look into the Sharpmaker system. Again, thanks for the info and the welcome :-)