2018 Forum Calendar Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
griff443

Re: 2018 Forum Calendar Contest!

Post by griff443 »

I took this photograph of my Ladybug Salt with a hawkbill blade at a lake close to home, wanting to show it in the environment for which it was designed. It is the lightest knife I own, and with the FRN scales is almost imperceptible in the pocket. Its light character was the inspiration for this image of it seemingly floating on the surface.
Mr. Z

Post by Mr. Z »

Quite new to the Spyderco world. Here is my Gale Bradley 2 which gets regular carry time and is not a safe queen. Very good slicer because of the saber grind and the M4 keeps a very good edge. With this macro shot it was brand new but currently it is starting to develop its own patina.

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Delica 4 Burnt Orange HAP40 C11FPBORE

I enjoy taking pictures of my knives and I am always looking for suitable backdrops for my photos. I like the way macro photography has changed the way I look at things. I am often looking at just one square foot of something when envisioning my photos. It really makes you focus on something since the final photo will be of a small area that appears larger in the photo than in real life. I believe that any time you look at something from a new perspective you have gained something.

I like to take pictures of knives on this deck because it is so weathered and I do it quite often. The faded blue paint, the grey weathered wood and the mold and moss add a texture to the photos that I enjoy. On this day I was carrying my burnt orange Delica4 and noticed this Tiger Lilly had drooped under it's own weight onto the edge of the deck. I thought that the Tiger Lilly and burnt orange would compliment each other well and that the green leaves and blue/grey deck would provide good contrast. I really like the way it came out and hope others do too.

Thanks for the opportunity.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Spyderco Military

One of the quintessential Spyderco designs that withstood the test of time
A lightweight, strong, no-nonsense serious cutting tool
Offered along time in various steels and handle variations
This one C36CFP52100 is a nice example, CQI in 52100 and carbon fiber
Picture taken by the river in one of my outdoor getaways

Triton9809

Post by Triton9809 »

Spyderco Para Miltary 2, C81GPDBL2 in CPM S110V Steel.
IMG_0543.jpg
I purchased a Spyderco Military around 1995. In 1996, I deployed to Bosnia and carried it for my 7 month deployment. I carried that Spyderco for my first 17 years as a police officer. I decided to retire it and looked for the perfect replacement. Another Military? Maybe. Then, I handled a Para Military 2. I couldn't believe I had overlooked this knife for so many years. I purchased one, then another and then one for my son. The CPM S110V steel on the one pictured is phenominal. The blue G10 scales really set it off. This photo is my favorite...so far. Taken with an ancient Canon Digital Rebel DSLR. Thank you Spyderco for making such a fine cutting tool.
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

Balisongs have a reputation for semi-legal knives, in many countries of the world their free sale is limited. I do not understand the reason for this. In the photo, I tried to show Balisong in the most peaceful form.

Spyderfly - one of the few Spyderco models that do not have a Round Hole in the blade. But there are such holes in the halves of the handle, and if two knives are put one on top of another, they resemble tailoring scissors.

Forum name: DerRock
Models: B01PRB and B01P SpyderFly

Enigma

Post by Enigma »

The Cutting Edge

C199TIP - NIRVANA™ TITANIUM

My submission for this year’s competition was inspired by Spyderco’s constant pursuit for excellence.
A prime example of this is the Spyderco Nirvana, everything about this model is at the cutting edge of production knives. The Nirvana is a ground breaking knife in which reflects 40+ years of perusing excellence.

PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Forum Name: PayneTrain
Knife Models: MT22, MT24, MT19 (background)

I love the Mule Team line. They're feeding right into the fact that not only are we all varying levels of steel nerds, but we're doers and makers of things. They give us a platform of high-tech steel upon which we build something that is truly our own, or at the very least customized to our tastes. This is my meager workshop where with cheap tools and supplies, I'm able to make something very...VERY cool! It's one of the best examples of Spyderco knowing and connecting with their customers and fans!

Last edited by PayneTrain on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
IR192

Post by IR192 »

Forum Name: IR192
Knife Model: Manix 2 LW (C101PBN2) - CTS XHP Sprint Run

Here is Northern BC, at 0545hrs, smack in the middle of our current wildfire season. The smoke filters the sun's light, making it dark and ruddy, and every breath smells like camp fire, even in the crisp morning air. After a week of working in an evacuation alert zone, we are heading further North. I won't complain, neither will my lightweight sidekick. I trust it will do what I need, when I need it, without complication.
One of the reasons I am passionate about Spyderco knives is for their focus on function first, executing it very well in sometimes small, but impactful ways. Once that criteria has been satisfied, they do not hesitate to bring that function to form in a multitude of steel and scale options, creating a diversity that is still unparalleled in the industry. Those who know, choose Spyderco.
Recently Acquired: Hap40 Endura, Hap40 Stretch, Manix2 LW XHP, PM2 Cruwear, Farid K2, Kiwi4, LC200N Native, Large Lum Folder, Manix2 Cruwear.

In The Works: 204P Military, Nirvana, Slysz Bowie.
-Ed
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Forum name: murphjd25
Knife Model: Urban LW Grey K390 Sprint

Every knife from Spyderco should bring one word to mind, "simplicity". This little urban is the perfect companion for an all day job at work, or a quick run into the city at night. Spyderco does an excellent job on this slip-joint, which really makes it so wonderful, because it is so simple. Thank you Spyderco for the kind gesture. Good luck to everyone.

image url
Josh
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Black Malts & Body Salts Imperial Black IPA w/Coffee, $24.
Spyderco ClipiTool, $40.
Being the only person at the rare beer tasting with a bottle opener, priceless.

Clipped on, loose in the pocket or on a key ring,
the oft overlooked and underestimated ClipiTool is a charmer.

The short, two-inch, 8Cr13MoV, slip-joint blade
provides excellent performance for the money
and is considered a legal knife in the UK
and other hoplophobic jurisdictions.

The handsome brushed stainless steel scales
provide plenty of room on the reverse side for engraving.
It makes a fine gift for groomsmen or other cherished occasions.
Also available with scissors or a serrated blade.
Last edited by Mad Mac on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:53 am, edited 6 times in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
SpyderWill

Post by SpyderWill »

Last edited by SpyderWill on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderWill

Post by SpyderWill »

Title: “Having a Ball”

Forum Name: SpyderWill

Product Name: Spyderco Q Ball - C219GP

Description:

The Q Ball is the epitome of a "little big knife". It is small, but tough. Quirky, yet cool and sophisticated.

The ball bearing lock keeps things interesting, while its blade ensures that things stay on point. It is a perfect companion for everything from looking sharp in a suit to enjoying the remaining weekends of summer time fun.
8legs

Post by 8legs »

TazKristi of Spyderco Forum has declared in the 2018 Forum Calendar Contest Overview that “Your chosen product can be… radically modified.” Furthermore, TazKristi requested that we “…use [our] imagination and show us your creativity”. My entry to the Spyderco Calendar Contest is a clear attempt at just that. Some contestants will attach various things to their fine Spyderco knife(s) to spice up their photos. Occasionally, this is in the form of a lanyard. Still others will set their knife(s) in a themed scene depicting common Spyderco knife activities; however, in keeping with the request of TazKristi for a “radically modified” knife photo I have decided to represent all Spyderco H1 knifes by attaching, not a lanyard, but three Orca Killer Whales in an ocean themed scene to the Spyderco H1 knife line. Over 70% of Earth are the oceans, and both the Spyderco H1 knifes, and the Orca Killer Whales are at the very top of the chain ruling their oceanic kingdom. My entry is an artistic rendition of that event in a family friendly format. HOORAH !
Last edited by 8legs on Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
8legs

Post by 8legs »

Oh, if anybody is wondering about the details of my Spyderco Forum Calendar entry. The land in the background is Spider Island, Alaska (Google it). My photograph was taken using the vintage 1976 Polaroid Land Camera model 440, and is an actual picture of three living, air breathing, exclusive, elusive, blade-bearing Orca Killer Whales of the H1 Spyderco class. These whales are so difficult to find, and thus photograph… what a gem for this year’s calendar. LOL! :)
Last edited by 8legs on Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Gayle Bradley Air - C159GF

The Air is one of my favorite Spyderco knives. The light and clipless design makes it easy to drop in your pocket during the hot summer months and it easily fits in at a backyard barbeque. I was sad to see it be discontinued but I'm glad I got one while I could.

skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

Here's mine!
What can I say that it can'tj just by looking at it? PM2 M4 Natural.
OkanSeven

Post by OkanSeven »

A knife was one of mans first tools. Through the years of innovation amongst the cutlery community, you have to mention Spyderco's first knife, the CO1 Worker(1981). It was a knife of many firsts, both to feature a pocket clip and open one handed(Spyder Hole). This Sprint Run was released in 2014 with some new upgrades from the original. This model is simply the one I couldn't part with and always think about the innovation it's brought to knives, every time I use it! Go Spyderco!

Last edited by OkanSeven on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: CO1 Worker 2014 Sprint(x2)-Southard-Myrtle-PM2 S110v-Sage 5-Sliverax-Lum Tanto FB Sprint-Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189-Delica 4 G-10-Manix 2 FW-Endura 4-Tasman-Roadie-Delica 2 Stainless-Tenacious Turtle-Bug :spyder:

Dreaming for a Pacific Salt 2 FFG LC200n and a
Manix 2 XL back lock
Reject

Post by Reject »

Fire, frost and Spyderco.

How much can a Koala bear?
alekseyshakaley

Post by alekseyshakaley »

Forum name: alekseyshakaley
Model: Spyderco Delica4 C11FPBK
I participate in the contest for the third time. And for the third time with a photo Delica. I like the design of the knife and its size. Delica is a great knife for EDC.