Dat Clacky Flik Tho!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jaxonunit

Dat Clacky Flik Tho!

Post by jaxonunit »

Just got my latest Spyderco---a Tenacious with a full SypderEdge blade. It was kind of tight but not as bad as the Cara Cara 2 I got a few months back, but even with that one, I've found that they "break-in" after 50-100 "flicks." It's the "flick" that I want to talk about. Does EVERYBODY do this?

I feel like I should insert the warning from the Sharp Maker pamphlet here; something like, "WARNING: Knives are dangerous!" :)

When my wife and kids started twirling around their "fidget spinners" a few months ago, I realized that my folding knife collection has been serving that purpose for 30+ years. As a kid, I figured out a way to open my bulky Buck 110 with one hand (pinch the blade and swing the handle weight around) and that's how I opened my Spydies until recently.

These days I've always got a Spyderco or Spyderco Byrd in my hand, just casually opening and closing it for no other reason than that it feels good. I used the pinch-swing deploy method until I stumbled on the hole-flick. I actually first saw the "Spyderco Flick" on a YouTube video review of the Cara Cara 2, but when I tried it, it felt dangerous and I couldn't really get the hang of it. Then I realized I was trying to fling it out too wide---pushing the hole away from the pivot.

At some point it just started happening the "right" way. Instead of trying to fling it out, I flicked it up, and it clacked into position with a really satisfying mechanical lock-up that reminds me of the sound and feel of a pump shotgun action--ssseepKLAK!

I'm guessing everybody here already knows this, but if not, and you are trying to do it---here's the trick: just put the tip of you thumb in the hole, and flick it straight up along a line directly PARALLEL to, or even a little angled TOWARD, the pivot.

WARNING: Knives are dangerous!

My (bad) intuition had been to fling it out and away from the pivot, and that is what made it feel dangerous and difficult, even on well broken-in knives it takes a lot of force to get the blade to swing around and lock in. After I figured out the angle, it takes me no more force than I might use to snap my fingers.

About a thousand KLACKS after I figured it out, I started to cup my hand behind the spine to create a little amplification, and a few KLACKS after that my wife, who was in another room commented, "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP THAT BEFORE I LOSE MY #@^&%% MIND!" I apologized and said I wouldn't do it anymore, but muscle memory had other plans---so now I have to hide them for a while.

KLACK!
Tenacious Black Blade---Resilience---Persistence---Ambitious---Cara Cara 2---Hawkbill ---Manbug ---Tenacious Full SpyderEdge---Raven 2---Robin2---Matriarch 2

I'm only using black until Spyderco comes out with something darker.
twinboysdad

Re: Dat Clacky Flik Tho!

Post by twinboysdad »

You do know that accelerates wear on liner (and all) locks, right?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Never, ever flick any of my knives. Manual opening it just as fast and more reliable, and won't potentially wear things out faster.

If I use a flipper or flick a blade open and it bumps into something, like a coat sleeve, it fails to open. Same thing with manual opening it it opens all the way. Don't get the appeal of flicking.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Military is great for that loud authoritative clack opening. I get yelled at a lot for it lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mattman

Post by mattman »

Now you need to learn the "middle finger flick".
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

What a painfully annoying title to this post.

And yes, my fault for commenting.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I wear out locks. Compression and CBBL seem to take the abuse the best. Have you tried reverse grip flicks yet?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

fivesense wrote:What a painfully annoying title to this post.

And yes, my fault for commenting.
WhAt A pAiNfuLlY aNnoYinG tITlE tO tHiS PoST.

You mad bro?

Ok sorry, I was just trying to get all the internet cliches out of the way lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

mattman wrote:Now you need to learn the "middle finger flick".
Nah. Index finger flick is way better.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Nothing more satisfying than happily flicking away during long boring drives, long walks with my dogs, during a tricky diagnosis of an old rooftop HVAC unit.......etc.
I had my Ti Millie in my pocket yesterday and was obsessively flicking away! The sound that particular knife makes on lock up is amazingly satisfying!
To those that refuse to flick, you don't know what you're missing!!
Joe
Attachments
IMG_2748.JPG
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I always sweep the blade open.
Jazman

Post by Jazman »

I always thumb flick to open my carry Spyderco, fun and fast. I must be lucky, I have never broken one doing so. Recently got a Para 3 and learned the middle finger flick, next step forefinger!
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

The best I've heard is still my Gayle Bradley 1. I think it's due to how thick the lock and liners are, and probably the blade too. The consistently smooth action also helps. The sound is sooo...stimulating! It's deep and powerful, and eminates out in every direction from the open construction. The sound doesn't just stop at your ears. It tickles the spine...
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The original Manix was the GOAT thwack, and the new lock back is no slouch
setldown

Post by setldown »

The GB1 sounds like racking a round in a pump 12 gauge.