Becoming a blade junkie...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Teephud

Becoming a blade junkie...

Post by Teephud »

I bought my first Spyderco sometime in the '80s. It was a cheap Delica "Clip It", and I still have it. In the last 5-10 years I bought 3 different Benchmades. About a month ago, I rediscovered Spyderco, and couldn't decide between the Sage 2 and the Para 3. I ultimately decided on the Sage 2. A week or so later I was still looking at the Para 3, and also it's big brother, the Paramilitary 2. Wound up ordering the Para 3. Another week or so, I just said, "F it" and bought the PM 2 as well... I gotta slow this ship down...
ZrowsN1s

Re: Becoming a blade junkie...

Post by ZrowsN1s »

There is help for Blade addiction. You just won't find it here :D Unless by help you mean help buying more knives ;)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I know the feeling. For years I've swore I'm not a collector but I now have 5 Militaries. That's the most of any one model I've ever owned by any brand. I've had 4 Yojombo 2's and still own 3.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

My condolences... :D
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Teephud wrote:... I gotta slow this ship down...
Let us know how that works out for you! :D
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Once you've been bit, you just can't quit. :p
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Welcome to the forum!

Can't help if you want to stop, having hard time myself.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75233
Chris :spyder:
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Evil D wrote:I know the feeling. For years I've swore I'm not a collector but I now have 5 Militaries. That's the most of any one model I've ever owned by any brand. I've had 4 Yojombo 2's and still own 3.
Life is hard for us non-collectors.
Among a few Mules and a couple of Manix 2's, I currently own 7 Titanium Chaparrals ....... and I swear I am not a collector either. :D
anycal

Post by anycal »

I went from a sworn user, to user who needs multiple of the same knife for the same task, to one of my next purchases may not see anything more abrasive than a piece of phone book paper, all within a year.
Peter
Teephud

Post by Teephud »

Thanks all. I consider myself more of a user than a collector. I just want to have a collection that I use... I like the idea that each of my knives have a purpose, though there is some overlap.
I think my next purchases are going to be sharpening stones. I want to learn to freehand sharpen.
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

SEEK HELP NOW, before its too late!, lol. #helpme
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Once you're into sharpening, there's no redemption. This stone with that steel? At which finish? Do I strop? Edge leading or trailing? Free hand or guided?

..... come over to the dark side .... :D
Some of us are here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forum ... ellishment
Chris :spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Teephud,

Welcome to our forum.

All things in moderation. A little water when you are thirsty is good, but too much water and you may drown.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I considered and still delusionally consider myself a user and not a collector. That doesn't change the fact that I have horded up a footlocker full of knives and other sharp things.

Welcome to the madhouse!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wise advice from Sal. If I bought every Spyderco I wanted I would have no money in savings or retirement. I have had to slow way down and that is the best policy. Perhaps Christmas, Birthday, and Anniversary, or maybe just two of those?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Yeah.. It kinda sneaks up on ya.. Next thing ya know you got hundreds!!! :p John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I drowned years ago after first "discovering" Spyderco.
It's all Sal's fault ..... :D

WTB: New versions of the :spyder: Titanium Chaparral ....
anycal

Post by anycal »

The pictures! The pictures on the forums are a SOB!

It is one thing to see a pic of a knife in catalog or on store's website. It is a different story to see them from various angles, different lighting, in hand, in nature.

User pics is what usually tips the scale for me. And by tips I mean, one side of the scales goes down so hard that the other side gets catapulted way over board, taking my credit card with it.
Peter
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Consuming a little piece of chocolate cake every once in a while is not likely going to hurt you (assuming you're not diabetic, etc.). Buying a new pocket knife every once in a while is pretty similar--just try to pace yourself on buying and you'll be fine.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I started out as a user and am now a bit of a user and a collector. I have a few knives, like my Kris for example, that are way too rare and awesome to actually use for anything but are super cool to own and fondle occasionally. Also I can't imagine trying to properly sharpen that one if I did use it but it's just so darn cool. I have nearly 50 Spydercos right now so I really am probably more of a collector, but 15-20 of them get regular use depending on what I'm doing on any given day, and another 10-15 get occasional use. The remaining 15 are either collector pieces or pieces that I have other versions of that I'd rather use so I could put at least 5 up for sale and I may do so, but I'm happy to have them to play with all the same. The moral of the story is that you're already doomed and might as well embrace it now. Welcome to the forum (We're not enablers, I swear).
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden