Paramilitary - the complete set of utter goodness

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
para-para-paramilitary

Re: Paramilitary - the complete set of utter goodness

Post by para-para-paramilitary »

That is an excellent looking collection
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

[/quote]
I like the Millies as well. I'm actually carrying this one today. :D
[/quote]

Right on!. Hey question, is that a un-etched early blade with no markings? The blade itself?
WCC

Post by WCC »

dtoad wrote: Right on!. Hey question, is that a un-etched early blade with no markings? The blade itself?
No, it was just the flash.
It's one of my early blade users and has 'Spyderco MILITARY CPM 440V Golden Colorado USA' on the blade.
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

WCC wrote:
dtoad wrote: Right on!. Hey question, is that a un-etched early blade with no markings? The blade itself?
No, it was just the flash.
It's one of my early blade users and has 'Spyderco MILITARY CPM 440V Golden Colorado USA' on the blade.
Great Knife IMO. Love um....
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

roger-roger wrote:The PM2 was the only Spyderco I had more than two of.
But why?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Archimedes wrote:That is a fantastic collection. I also think it is one of the great knives of all time. This one has been an on and off daily carry for a couple of years.
I got one of these from my local shop and sold it for $500. Hope that guy still has it but none of my business now
anycal

Post by anycal »

Definitely crossed some line over here.

I was in the camp of why would I ever own more than one of any specific model, especially with so many awesome knives out there. But the PM2, since I bought my first :spyder: , has been my most 'you name it' knife. Had a couple other ones (S30V DLCs) which are now being enjoyed by someone else.

The only other Spyderco I will have more than one of, is the Military. Waiting to see what comes out next; what will join my 204P model :D

Peter
Parkourdude

Post by Parkourdude »

I haven't experienced a PM2 yet.

My main concern is the strength of the detent as I mainly carry IWB.

Would you guys trust the detent to carry in the waistband?
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Parkourdude wrote:I haven't experienced a PM2 yet.

The maxamet one I have is pretty hard to open, so...yeah.

I carry tip down, weak side pocket.
anycal

Post by anycal »

90% of my carry of the PM2 is IWB. Anything from swimming; mountain bikiking (posted a pic while back of the crash aftermath with PM2 IWB); jumping from 30' high platform at our swimming hole; trail running; sitting in front of computer at the office. No problem with the detent.
Peter
vivi

Post by vivi »

No. I have had the Para 2 come open carried tip up IWB and tip up in a rear pocket, while walking around in a warehouse at my old job. I strongly advise going with a lockback model instead, or the ball bearing lock as the second best option. I retired my S30V DLC Para 2 the second time it did this. It's my desk knife now.

Nearly every detent based locking mechanism knife I own, from Spyderco or other companies, can be opened simply by shaking it with one hand. I do a lot of running, bouldering, etc. with folders IWB and I no longer trust detent based locks for those activities. It takes barely any force to open my Para 2 even with the pivot tightened as much as possible then given some thread locker.

With so many good lockback designs on the market I see no reason to take such a risk.
:unicorn
Parkourdude

Post by Parkourdude »

anycal wrote:90% of my carry of the PM2 is IWB. Anything from swimming; mountain bikiking (posted a pic while back of the crash aftermath with PM2 IWB); jumping from 30' high platform at our swimming hole; trail running; sitting in front of computer at the office. No problem with the detent.

Vivi wrote:

No. I have had the Para 2 come open carried tip up IWB and tip up in a rear pocket, while walking around in a warehouse at my old job. I strongly advise going with a lockback model instead, or the ball bearing lock as the second best option. I retired my S30V DLC Para 2 the second time it did this. It's my desk knife now.

Nearly every detent based locking mechanism knife I own, from Spyderco or other companies, can be opened simply by shaking it with one hand. I do a lot of running, bouldering, etc. with folders IWB and I no longer trust detent based locks for those activities. It takes barely any force to open my Para 2 even with the pivot tightened as much as possible then given some thread locker.

With so many good lockback designs on the market I see no reason to take such a risk.

Hmmmmmmmmm....

Well I've got two different answers haha. I was hoping it wouldn't come down to that, because that means I just have to try the PM2 for myself.

I usually do carry a Delica for the lockback's bias for closing. I do a lot of hiking with all sorts of movements and forces(jumping, landing, squatting,climbing etc.) so I am a little paranoid about a knife being able to stay closed.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Parkourdude wrote:
anycal wrote:90% of my carry of the PM2 is IWB. Anything from swimming; mountain bikiking (posted a pic while back of the crash aftermath with PM2 IWB); jumping from 30' high platform at our swimming hole; trail running; sitting in front of computer at the office. No problem with the detent.

Vivi wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmm....

Well I've got two different answers haha. I was hoping it wouldn't come down to that, because that means I just have to try the PM2 for myself.

I usually do carry a Delica for the lockback's bias for closing. I do a lot of hiking with all sorts of movements and forces(jumping, landing, squatting,climbing etc.) so I am a little paranoid about a knife being able to stay closed.
Probably the one working well has exceptional strong detent vs Vivi’s. With lockback, there’s no need to wish the one you get has strong detent. It’s definitely strong closure bias.
Chris :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

The detent is going to eventually wear in to some degree on any detent based lock. Takes longer with certain designs depending on blade steel, detent hardness etc., but 6 or 7 years from now a given knife might not carry as safely.

One thing to keep in mind is how stiff the detent is on a Para 2 is directly tied to pivot tightness. If you get a Para 2 and carry it IWB, thread locker is a must. Otherwise the pivot can work itself lose from repeated opening and closings, which can really make things unsafe.

Here is my DLC Para 2 that I carried for a few years. Bear in mind the pivot is as tight as it will go with unpowered hand tools, and given thread locker. http://www.streamable.com/0ps89 - hardly any resistance to being opened.

Much, much tougher doing this with a Pacific Salt, Szabo folder or Police. The Para also comes open more often than not when being dropped from as little as 1-2' on to carpet, the lockbacks stay shut.

Given enough force you can force most any modern folder open, but it takes considerably more effort with some lock types than others. For me, any benefits of a detent based lock are nullified by what I consider a lack of safety.

I still carry a Military time to time RFP, and plan to pick up an ATR 2, but I'm much more selective about which detent based knives I purchase these days because I don't feel safe carrying them IWB.

I think the Para 2 is one of their best overall designs, but I'm willing to trade a more efficient blade grind and multiple steel options for a safer lock (Para vs Pacific Salt). Others have different priorities. Luckily Spyderco caters to us both :)

FWIW I also won't carry a fixed blade with poor sheath retention for the same reasons.
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Cool video. Do you not think that the force that you are flinging the blade open with is more force than just plain walking? Even running? Maybe I just do not understand carrying a PM2 IWB because it is not that large to begin with.

It would be really bad to have it open while IWB, thats for sure :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

ross8425 wrote:Cool video. Do you not think that the force that you are flinging the blade open with is more force than just plain walking? Even running? Maybe I just do not understand carrying a PM2 IWB because it is not that large to begin with.

It is, but it's less force than it takes to pop open other compression locks I own, much less lockbacks.

Carrying IWB for me is more about the clothing I'm wearing or the activity I'm doing. Walking around the grocery store in jeans RFP is fine. Running mountain trails in lightweight shorts, RFP feels terrible because the knife is bouncing off my thigh constantly. It also increases the chances of an accidental opening.

I suspect tip down makes it less likely to happen as well, but I'm still leery of jumping off a 10' boulder with a Millie IWB :D
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Vivi wrote:
ross8425 wrote:Cool video. Do you not think that the force that you are flinging the blade open with is more force than just plain walking? Even running? Maybe I just do not understand carrying a PM2 IWB because it is not that large to begin with.

It is, but it's less force than it takes to pop open other compression locks I own, much less lockbacks.

Carrying IWB for me is more about the clothing I'm wearing or the activity I'm doing. Walking around the grocery store in jeans RFP is fine. Running mountain trails in lightweight shorts, RFP feels terrible because the knife is bouncing off my thigh constantly. It also increases the chances of an accidental opening.

I suspect tip down makes it less likely to happen as well, but I'm still leery of jumping off a 10' boulder with a Millie IWB :D
Ha! I'm more leery of jumping off a boulder period. My stumpy frame would fold up like a lawn chair. :eek:

Yeah, when I do yard work (older, thin shorts if its the summer) I usually just use an Izula that I keep in my back pocket because it doesn't weigh anything and is probably indestructible. A PM2 beats my leg apart. Never considered carrying it IWB though... maybe this summer!