Bad Customer Service

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Your Repair/Sharpening Experiences With Spyderco?

Good Sharpening & Good Repair
45%
Good Repair
29%
Good Sharpening
10%
Bad Repair & Good Sharpening
2%
Good Repair & Bad Sharpening
4%
Bad Repair & Bad Sharpening
2%
Bad Repair
8%
Bad Sharpening
No votes

Total votes: 51

RLDubbya

Re: Bad Customer Service

Post by RLDubbya »

Archimedes wrote:I never sent a knife to Spyderco for warranty so I can't really participate in the poll.

I do think if you don't want your knives sharpened and did not ask for it, that it should not happen.
I as well have never sent one back. However, I _think_ (and my thoughts are always subject to revision) that if I send a knife into a manufacturer for a basic cleaning & lube, I am implicitly approving sharpening unless I explicitly say otherwise. After all, I always seem to talk about "cleaning up the edge."
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Wow, this is the largest collection of negative feedback I've seen about Spyderco's customer service. I've never had to deal with them myself except to ask about clip screws (which, though I offered to pay, were mailed to me at their expense). Giving all these stories the benefit of the doubt, there may very well be an area of improvement for Spyderco depending on how you want to define it, but not necessarily because they're doing something wrong. I just remember one thing when reading these posts, or any reviews really: there are three sides to every story. Your side, my side, and the truth.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

PayneTrain wrote:Wow, this is the largest collection of negative feedback I've seen about Spyderco's customer service. I've never had to deal with them myself except to ask about clip screws (which, though I offered to pay, were mailed to me at their expense). Giving all these stories the benefit of the doubt, there may very well be an area of improvement for Spyderco depending on how you want to define it, but not necessarily because they're doing something wrong. I just remember one thing when reading these posts, or any reviews really: there are three sides to every story. Your side, my side, and the truth.
(Bold by me)

Aye.
I have never sent in anything, but email correspondence with Charlynn has always been good. About a year ago, I also received replacement clip screws for Cara Cara 2 when the maker put too much thread locker but finally I managed to remove them. Described all in my email to Charlynn and she sent me some replacement, because sending the knife to Spyderco will cost about 1 Cara Cara (the problem of living far away).

If Charlynn is too overloaded and responded not as friendly as she should be (being CS), or having a bad day (we're all human, sometimes, we get irritated and our response shows that ;) ) then perhaps Spyderco needs to expand the CS (I think they are training some new folks, which is also probably why some responses are not up to standard). That's the only improvement suggestion I can think of (probably not useful, seems to already being tackled by Spyderco).
Chris :spyder:
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Yeah, and there there is also the possibility that people are just sending boxes in with confusing, unsanctioned requests, the warranty department doesn't have a good organizational system to handle all these requests, or both. I highly doubt that people at that company are opening up these packages, seeing instructions on what to do, and saying "HAH!" and giving it a few swipes on a Sharpmaker and sending it back. Not that it's not possible, but it seems out of character when I read all the lengths that department has gone to to fix knives for both old and new customers.

If anything, I think there's a communication issue on one or both ends. Not saying this is what's going on here, and not accusing any of the previous posters of this, but every time I'm voiced a complaint about customer service, it's always from the same people and this thread reminds me a lot of them. For example, my best friend is a tremendous human being, but when he has to call customer service for anything (and it seems to be literally anything) he gets indignant FAST! Then he'll complain how useless and rude they were to him, and I just laugh and give him the "oh, you're serious" look. The entitlement and misplaced anger some people display when doing what really amounts to asking for help is weird to me. That's why I'm always nice to my servers, I stand up and smile when I make one of these calls (yeah, you can hear that through the phone), and I give everyone the benefit of the doubt because 99.847% of the time, believe it or not, the person I'm talking to is not trying to screw me over. Oh, and yeah, guess who just got his tuition bill dropped in spite of clearly stated policy? :) You get what you give.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

I have Spyderco knives that have served me for years that I continue to use and others that had issues from the beginning. My Yojimbo had a detent so weak that I was afraid to carry it and my Dodo wouldn't lock at all. In both cases, Spyderco chose to return them to me unrepaired and without explanation in spite of the clear description of the problem that I included with the knives. Spydercos are the only knives that I have sent in for warranty repairs and the company has failed me 50% of the time. The other knives I own have never needed repair. Spyderco products are quality, durable tools, except when they're not.
GoJuGuy628

Post by GoJuGuy628 »

[/quote]
Probably they have something like SOP and sharpening every blade. Sorry that they destroyed your work.[/quote]

Thanks man. Just hoping that they make it right. I sent an Email on tuesday that was essentially a very watered-down and much more polite version of this forum post, but I still made it clear that I was disappointed. I just hipe they do the right thing and stand by their product (which, save for the issues, is great). :D
GoJuGuy628

Post by GoJuGuy628 »

Knutty wrote:I once spent $150,000,000 on a Spyderco, and it was awful. It caught fire and melted in my hand, and I lost my right arm. I sent it to Spyderco, and they melted it down and mailed it back to me with a note that said "F*** Y***!!!". I cried and cried and this is my last breath. I swear once I dry these tears, I'm doing myself in. I can't figure out why I post stupid crap on forums, but by golly, it makes up for all those lost hugs. I swear it does. If I rock back and forth and repeat "LOST HUGS" I feel so warm inside. Thank you Sal for melting my knife.
Are you mocking me man? Maybe you don't work hard for your money but those of us who do don't feel so hot when we sink it into a faulty product that its manufacturer won't fix properly.
GoJuGuy628

Post by GoJuGuy628 »

:D Update guys: Spyderco is making everything alright and replacing both knives! Great customer service the second time around and they really convinced me that what happened initially was a fluke. Faith restored :D
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

This is excellent news. Thanks for the update!
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

If I ever send in a knife I'd layer the edge in tape and write in sharpie on that tape DO NOT SHARPEN. That would drive me nuts if someone modified my custom edge angles I meticulously apply to each knife I carry.

that being said I've had nothing but positive experiences with every single interaction I've had with Spyderco. In fact one time I broke a ZDP189 Endura doing stupid things with it, and Sal sent me an Aqua Salt as a replacement, telling me to try to break that knife instead. Still in one piece, and it's my favorite fixed blade to this day :)

Glad to hear they're taking care of you.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Vivi wrote:If I ever send in a knife I'd layer the edge in tape and write in sharpie on that tape DO NOT SHARPEN. That would drive me nuts if someone modified my custom edge angles I meticulously apply to each knife I carry.
Sounds like a sensible thing to do but the problem is that probably 90% of Spyderco warranty issues are resolved by replacing the knife, rather than repairing it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Deacon wrote:
Vivi wrote:If I ever send in a knife I'd layer the edge in tape and write in sharpie on that tape DO NOT SHARPEN. That would drive me nuts if someone modified my custom edge angles I meticulously apply to each knife I carry.
Sounds like a sensible thing to do but the problem is that probably 90% of Spyderco warranty issues are resolved by replacing the knife, rather than repairing it.
I've heard about them not being willing to send back knives they deem unsafe, which is another reason I haven't sent one in. I have a Para 2 that needs looked at but it was a birthday present I EDC'd for ~5 years, wouldn't want to risk them being unwilling to snd it back even if it can't be repaired. It's only a desk knife these days but it still holds sentimental value.
TomH

Post by TomH »

Needed some screws one time. The service was excellent.
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:The "j" shape near the ricasso is a big problem with spyderco as of late I hate to say. Something is going on with their method of sharpening lately, which is both removing way too much material and simultaneously terminating the plunge too early. Effectively leaving 1/16 to 1/8 (yes, I have a knife that bad) of the blade heel unsharpened.

It's ugly, and amateur to be honest. The biggest trouble is the amount of material removed needlessly.

Before anyone starts, please don't come at me like I have something against spyderco. Unless you own over a few hundred spyderco's I'm almost certain I own more than you do. Probably more than 2x. I love spyderco, but I'll also call a spade a spade.
The biggest complaint I have about most Spyderco models is that the blade grind goes right up to the hilt ("ricasso"? "tang"?) or whatever you call the very heel of the blade where it stops.

So many other models and makers grind a little semicircular choil there, which provides a gap that is very useful when sharpening. It means that your stone doesn't have to grind up against the "ricasso" as you seek to sharpen the entire length of the blade.

I have taken to using a Dremel grinder and ADDING MY OWN CHOIL to each blade that needs it, from Delica to Endura to Manix 2XL.
I feel that this is something that the manufacturer should be doing already. I feel that a blade that is ground straight up to the tang is NOT FINISHED WELL. And yes, it leads to the problem you mentioned--the J-shaped curve.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've never understood how the lack of the sharpening notch is an issue.

I feel the complete opposite, I hate them. I have no issue sharpening the full edge without them, and with them materials tend to slide down into the notch when I'm cutting. I find that obnoxious.

To me they offer nothing but drawbacks. If you can't hit it with a bench stone, break out a sharpmaker rod and use the corner to get in there. It's pretty easy stuff.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

peacefuljeffrey wrote:
AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:The "j" shape near the ricasso is a big problem with spyderco as of late I hate to say. Something is going on with their method of sharpening lately, which is both removing way too much material and simultaneously terminating the plunge too early. Effectively leaving 1/16 to 1/8 (yes, I have a knife that bad) of the blade heel unsharpened.

It's ugly, and amateur to be honest. The biggest trouble is the amount of material removed needlessly.

Before anyone starts, please don't come at me like I have something against spyderco. Unless you own over a few hundred spyderco's I'm almost certain I own more than you do. Probably more than 2x. I love spyderco, but I'll also call a spade a spade.
The biggest complaint I have about most Spyderco models is that the blade grind goes right up to the hilt ("ricasso"? "tang"?) or whatever you call the very heel of the blade where it stops.

So many other models and makers grind a little semicircular choil there, which provides a gap that is very useful when sharpening. It means that your stone doesn't have to grind up against the "ricasso" as you seek to sharpen the entire length of the blade.

I have taken to using a Dremel grinder and ADDING MY OWN CHOIL to each blade that needs it, from Delica to Endura to Manix 2XL.
I feel that this is something that the manufacturer should be doing already. I feel that a blade that is ground straight up to the tang is NOT FINISHED WELL. And yes, it leads to the problem you mentioned--the J-shaped curve.
And, for everyone who agrees with you that "sharpening choils" are a good thing, there's someone like me who thinks they're a royal pain in the ***. As much as I love my Kiwis, I curse them every time something snags in the sharpening choil. I also thank Sal sincerely for not including one in the Stretch's design. I'd just ask you to consider that it's easier for those who want a sharpening choil to add one, than for those who don't to remove one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Add me to those that dislike sharpening choils/notches.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like the idea of a single serration instead of a choil. That way if material finds it's way in, it is cut.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
paladin

Post by paladin »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I like the idea of a single serration instead of a choil. That way if material finds it's way in, it is cut.
That's actually a great idea. But even if that last bit is unsharpened, at least the media can be "sawn" back into sharpened edge rather than snagging on a sharpening notch like Paul mentioned.

Also after buying an embarrassing <to me :o > BUNCH of Spyderco's since the 90's...I've sent in my first 2 for warranty & repair service. :cool:

A blue Dodo has developed a "herky-jerky" rough feeling when opening/closing the blade and a Kukhri's liner is a bit warped. The Khuk. was undoubtedly like that new and I only just noticed it when I took it out of the safe and was admiring it closely-- it hasn't seen any use.

I asked for a factory sharpening on the Dodo....egad! :eek: after reading some posts here, I'll be anxiously awaiting the results!

I'll post up how my service turned out when they fly back home. :spyder:
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I like the idea of a single serration instead of a choil. That way if material finds it's way in, it is cut.
That's a pretty good idea. My preference would be to grind the serration on both sides, for symmetry. One of the big reasons I don't like serrations is that they're generally ground asymmetrically.