Police4 pics and impressions ( pics restored )

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xeamus

Re: Police4 pics and impressions

Post by xeamus »

This knife is looking awesome! I'll definately will get one. Thanks for sharing!
SharpCdn

Post by SharpCdn »

I am still waiting for this one...It is nice to see more pictures of it showing up, a sign it will be here soon.

I think I really like the improvements.
archangel

Post by archangel »

*digging*

Any rough ideas when this beauty may hit the shelves? This quater, or more like Q4? Or even later...?

Mr. Glesser, care to throw us a bone here? The Police 4 is a must have...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
sal

Post by sal »

They're waiting to go through QC.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sal,

Someday down the road I would love to see the P4 run in a DLC option if you think the market would be receptive to it. The P3 is a personal favorite of mine and the 4 looks even better.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thank is great news! Thank you very much, Sir!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Darby, I'm seeing "Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting" on the pics. It seems we've run out your free Photobucket bucket. As someone who is wont to post picture threads, I recommend Flickr (1TB free storage, and I have yet to see this issue with them). Or, put the pics in an album on PB, make it public, and share the album, which should eliminate the 3rd party hosting issue. The downside of that is that you can't post the pic and commentary all at once in the thread. I started doing it that way myself, but only because I was taking so many pictures and it helps the thread load faster for folks with only ~3-5 pics instead of 20 or whatever. I originally started with Photobucket but I quickly ran into the limitations that are on the free service, limitations clearly in place to encourage upgrades. I don't fault them for that, but I also don't have to use their product when I can get a better one for free.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Thanks Patrick,

I will get this thread repaired very soon. I am still recovering from photogeddon 2017 at the moment. I cannot go back and fix all of my broken links in all my posts but I promise that I will fix this thread when I get the time. I have been super busy and today is my wife and I's anniversary. Hopefully in the next few days I can get to it.

I am not gonna link to the photobucket album. I am gonna delete the account. I seldom get upset and almost never burn bridges but unless photobucket changes this in the next few days they are dead to me and I will be deleting that account.

I am trying out Imgur at the moment but am still open to trying others. I was gonna start a thread in off topic. I do not want this thread to derail into a thread about photo hosting.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

why are people using image hosts with limited storage and hotlinking barriers?

www.imgtc.com dead simple, not storage limits, little to no ads, not as crappy as imgur. It's just an image uploader and nothing more. No comments, no social media crap, just upload and image and copy the URL and post wherever you please.
bearfacedkiller

This thread is about the Police4, not about image hosting.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

How would you compare ease of drawing opening/closing the Police 4 as compared to the military? What about forward and reverse grips compared to millie?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

bearfacedkiller wrote:This thread is about the Police4, not about image hosting.
You kidding me? You made a longer post about image hosting than I did. Then followed it up with another off-topic post. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
ZrowsN1s wrote:How would you compare ease of drawing opening/closing the Police 4 as compared to the military? What about forward and reverse grips compared to millie?
Can only comment on P3 VS Millie.

I've never carried the P3 tip down, but have carried Millie tip up. The clip is a bit stiffer on the Police 3, otherwise they draw with similar ease. My P3 is heavily used so the G10 is worn down pretty smooth, so it draws faster than my fresher CTS204P Military, but that's apples to oranges.

The P3 is the largest knife I can carry tip up and draw it in the same grip I use to open it. Anything larger like my Szabo or the Tatanka requires some grip adjustment, so the P3 hits a sweet spot for me. YMMV, I do have large hands.

As far as opening and closing, the Military has a slight edge. The Police 3 took a little breaking in to get as smooth as it is now, which is pretty common with lockbacks. Lockbacks will also have more resistance to opening due to the self close. Finally, the opening hole on the P3 is a bit smaller than on the Millie, might be different on the P4. I find both the Police 3 and Military incredibly easy to draw, open, cut, close and put back in my pocket with one hand. Military is easier to open with thick gloves on due to the larger hole, something to keep in mind.

Reverse grip is superior on the Police 3 than the Military for me. The Military is ridiculously ergonomic except for the cut-out for the liner lock. In reverse grip the liner digs into my pinky and feels terrible.

If ease of deployment is your primary concern the Millie does win, but the difference is not substantial in my eyes. I prefer the Police 3 due to tip up clip from factory, 3mm thick spine for superior cutting, less belly, better choil, stronger self close for safer IWB carry, and it carries better due to how thin it is. I also like that it's essentially the same handle design as the other knife I EDC with my larger PE folders, a SE Pacific Salt.

For EDC it's tough to go wrong with either if you like larger knives. As long as you're ok with the steel, lock-type etc. each model features, I can't imagine being disappointed. The P4 is even lighter than the P3, and looks very comfortable.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

bearfacedkiller wrote:This thread is about the Police4, not about image hosting.
I gotta say, I agree with vivi, thats pretty rich...might wanna come down off the high horse.
The info vivi just gave will help many.
bearfacedkiller

Sorry, that didn't come across as I intended. I could have worded that a thousand times better or better yet said nothing at all. My bad. I was truly just trying to keep the thread from going off on a tangent. I didn't even mean for it to be directed at anybody specific. Vivi, I do appreciate the suggestion and I will check it out. Again, sorry about that. :o

Please check off topic. I am gonna start a thread about photo sites. :)
-Darby
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Vivi wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:How would you compare ease of drawing opening/closing the Police 4 as compared to the military? What about forward and reverse grips compared to millie?
Can only comment on P3 VS Millie.

I've never carried the P3 tip down, but have carried Millie tip up. The clip is a bit stiffer on the Police 3, otherwise they draw with similar ease. My P3 is heavily used so the G10 is worn down pretty smooth, so it draws faster than my fresher CTS204P Military, but that's apples to oranges.

The P3 is the largest knife I can carry tip up and draw it in the same grip I use to open it. Anything larger like my Szabo or the Tatanka requires some grip adjustment, so the P3 hits a sweet spot for me. YMMV, I do have large hands.

As far as opening and closing, the Military has a slight edge. The Police 3 took a little breaking in to get as smooth as it is now, which is pretty common with lockbacks. Lockbacks will also have more resistance to opening due to the self close. Finally, the opening hole on the P3 is a bit smaller than on the Millie, might be different on the P4. I find both the Police 3 and Military incredibly easy to draw, open, cut, close and put back in my pocket with one hand. Military is easier to open with thick gloves on due to the larger hole, something to keep in mind.

Reverse grip is superior on the Police 3 than the Military for me. The Military is ridiculously ergonomic except for the cut-out for the liner lock. In reverse grip the liner digs into my pinky and feels terrible.

If ease of deployment is your primary concern the Millie does win, but the difference is not substantial in my eyes. I prefer the Police 3 due to tip up clip from factory, 3mm thick spine for superior cutting, less belly, better choil, stronger self close for safer IWB carry, and it carries better due to how thin it is. I also like that it's essentially the same handle design as the other knife I EDC with my larger PE folders, a SE Pacific Salt.

For EDC it's tough to go wrong with either if you like larger knives. As long as you're ok with the steel, lock-type etc. each model features, I can't imagine being disappointed. The P4 is even lighter than the P3, and looks very comfortable.
Thanks Vivi. I appreciate the info on having to re-adjust your grip or not on initial draw, that's what I was after.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bearfacedkiller

I carry them both tip down. I find the Military easier to draw and easier to deploy. I pinch the top of the knife at the pivot and pull it out and the Military is just a little more substantial so there is more to grab on to. Also, I just find liner locks easier to open usually. I also find the Military more comfortable in most grips. The handle is more hand filling which works for me. I don't use reverse grips though so I cannot comment on them.

Vivi's post is spot on. The Police carries better and it slices better.
-Darby
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd like to add one thing regarding deployment. With the Military carried tip down the jimping can easily catch on the lip of my pocket and slow down my draw. I don't have this issue with either model carried tip up, which is one reason I prefer that carry method.

bearfacedkiller wrote:Sorry, that didn't come across as I intended. I could have worded that a thousand times better or better yet said nothing at all. My bad. I was truly just trying to keep the thread from going off on a tangent. I didn't even mean for it to be directed at anybody specific. Vivi, I do appreciate the suggestion and I will check it out.
No worries. I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your post as being directed at me specifically. Thanks for trying to clear the air :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am excited that the knife is about to go through QC. This is one knife I have been waiting on and though it is above my budget, I am going to make an exception in this case.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The PhotoBucket nonsense is turning into a bloody nightmare!

I can see Z's pics but all the rest are replaced with PLEASE UPDATE YOUR ACCOUNT TO ENABLE 3RD PARTY HOSTING.

Don't they know I don't have an account to update? :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
anycal

Post by anycal »

Something missing in the 'large' department! :rolleyes: I am incomplete...

QC done yet?

Peter