MXG Gear Clip Owners; A Quick Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mad german

MXG Gear Clip Owners; A Quick Question

Post by mad german »

I recently bought a couple of their deep carry clips and when they arrived, they were shipped with about a dozen screws. There were 3 sizes (I think) in the packs.

The MXG Gear clips seemed to be the same thickness as the Spyderco ones, so I just reused the Spyderco screws.

Is this correct? Did you use the Spyderco oruginal screws when you installed your MXG Gear clips?

Thx!
My collection is ever changing!
murphjd25

Re: MXG Gear Clip Owners; A Quick Question

Post by murphjd25 »

Yeah, I used the originals, and I have used the short ones that come with them. I tried the long ones once on my Stretch and they are WAY to long, no workie.
Josh
SG89

Post by SG89 »

No i used the screws mxg provided on a Delica4. The OEM spyderco screws weren't long enough and mxg provided 2 different length screws. I went with the shorter of the 2 which was slightly longer than spyderco OEM screws
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JonesE

Post by JonesE »

It really depends on the knife more than on the clip (assuming the bent TI clips versus the machined one like the Southard). Normally, I check the grip length of the screws that I removed from the factory clip and compare them to the screws provided. Gnoleb, usually sends out a few short like the factory screws and a few longer ones. I usually end up going with the shorter screws. After the replacement clip is installed, I carefully open the blade of the knife and look at the inside of the scale to make sure the screw shank does not protrude to far out. If I am satisfied there is no issue, I carefully close the blade to make sure there is no contact with the screws. On the Domino, I reused the factory screws. If I remember correctly, the thread pitches were different and I did not want to risk cross threading.

JonesE