Is my Spyderco Civilian authentic?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ryn3x

Is my Spyderco Civilian authentic?

Post by Ryn3x »

Hello,

I'm a part time knife collecter and full time EDC'er. I own many Kershaws perchased from Amazon. The fit and finish of Kershaw knives (as well as their overall quality) is hard to beat for the price. Even the foreign produced knives are well made. Nevertheless, I have decided to expand my collection to include some Spyderco knives. The popularity, reputation, and quality of Spyderco products is legendary and so I purchased a Spyderco Civilian - my first Spyderco.

The first knife I received  (purchased from Amazon seller, "The Ozark Source") had fit and finish issues that I feel are uncharacteristic of such a legendary company as Spyderco; thusly, I returned the knife and promptly ordered another from a different seller (Amazon seller, "The Roost Sports"). Not unlike the first purchase, some fit and finish issues were present which lead me to question the authenticity of my purchase.

Upon first look, the knife looks to be authentic however upon closer inspection I've noticed some small fit and finish issues that bring the authenticity into question; for instance, the G10 handle seems a bit soft and is already showing some wear just by riding in my pocket, the Spyderco Decal on the clip looks cheap and it has some small defects. As for the blade, the serrations seem coorrect but the tip of the blade doesn't come to as fine of a point as I have seen in videos/pictures of authentic Civilians. The insignia on the blade seems correct and the maker marks are stamped on the blade seem to be right as well.

Overall, the knife seems to me to be Authentic; however, I am no expert and since this is my first Spyderco I've decided to enlist the expertise of the many dedicated and experienced Spyderco collecters and fans within this forum. Please help me determine if my knife is authentic.
I have included some pictures to help with the process.

TL;DR Hello, I'm new to the forums and this Civilian is my first new Spyderco, is it real? Here are some pics. Can post morw if needed.

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/Ryn3x/m ... sort=3&o=0

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/Ryn3x/m ... sort=3&o=3

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/Ryn3x/m ... sort=3&o=6
CARNAGE

Re: Is my Spyderco Civilian authentic?

Post by CARNAGE »

I've never seen a Civilian tip with such curve like that, chances are you got got. Tbh, I'd rather purchase higher end Spydies on more reputable sites, preferably KnifeCenter.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ryb3x,

Welcome to our forum.

It's getting very difficult to tell whether you have a counterfeit or not. Photos really don't tell us as much as you'd think. We have to have the product in out hands to be able to tell for sure. The best was is to know your source, and that they are reputable. I certainly can't tell from the photo shown and I designed the model.

sal
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'm pretty sure the Roost Sports is legit but that doesn't guarantee it's authentic.
para-para-paramilitary

Post by para-para-paramilitary »

woah Id love to have one. When you measure a blade do you measure it with the curve?