Para 3 Lefty?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nostradamion

Para 3 Lefty?

Post by Nostradamion »

Hey Guys,
I know the Para 3 hasn't been out all that long, but as a lefty, I was wondering if there were any plans to make a left handed version? I have medium to small hands, and the Para 3 fits in my hand just about perfectly; if Spyderco could release this model with the black blade in a left handed version, I'd be a seriously happy camper. Ultimately, I may just get the left handed version of the Paramilitary 2 but it's admittedly bigger than I wanted and it doesn't come in the black blade in the lefty version. Also, my fear is as soon as I breakdown and buy the PM2 lefty, Spyderco will release the Para 3 in the lefty version. My wallet (and wife) will hate me!!

Anyway, if someone here has any intel on whether or not the Para 3 might be coming in a lefty version (as well as a possible Para 3 lefty version in black), that would be much appreciated!!

Cheers, and Happy 4th of July!!
Evil D

Re: Para 3 Lefty?

Post by Evil D »

You'll probably need to make an "unapologetic" thread and get a zillion posts first ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
anycal

Post by anycal »

I am a righty, and I'd definitely get one as a dedicated left carry, which I occasionally do. Love the all black version.

Happy 4th!
Peter
BushcraftJoe

Post by BushcraftJoe »

I'm a lefty with big hands and a para 3 in the mail, hopefully all that pans out... This is my first compression lock, my only other spydie is a manix 2 xl. I've been looking at countless pics and watching tons of videos and I think I'd prefer the right hand compression lock to the left. Maybe I'll change my mind when it's in my hand but I feel more comfortable using my thumb to disengage the lock. Time will tell I suppose, now the wait.
para-para-paramilitary

Post by para-para-paramilitary »

they might wait for a while before releasing the para 3 lefty. Though you can buy the PM2 lefty, Then sell it when the para 3 lefty comes along
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

An ambidextrous release, a la Smock Knives, would solve the problem of making two different knives.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
Nostradamion

Post by Nostradamion »

Thanks for the feedback guys. It sounds like the best option would be to get the Paramilitary 2 lefty and then try to sell it if / when they release a left handed version of the Para 3. Kind of a bummer but not the end of the world by any stretch. Absolutely love the blacked out Para 3 but just can't seem to operate the right handed compression lock with my left hand all that well. Decisions, decisions...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Nostradamion, BushcraftJoe,

Welcome to our forum.

We have nothing planned at this time and quite a few new pieces in queue. We'll watch.

sal
Nostradamion

Post by Nostradamion »

Sal, thanks so much for the info: looks like the lefty Paramilitary 2 will be the way to go for now. One other question for you: I'm headed up to Spyderco this afternoon to get some work done on one of my other Spydies, and know that I can get the PM2 there directly, however it's a bit more expensive there compared to Blade HQ , Knife Center etc. I'm admittedly new to all this and was just wondering why the prices are more expensive at Spyderco? Would love to pick one up today, but it's definitely a big price difference.

Thanks again for your help!!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

They don't want to compete with their dealers. I believe in the Spyderco outlet itself not on the Spyderco website the pricing is different
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Nostradamion

Post by Nostradamion »

Unfortunately the PM2 lefty is close to $160 at the outlet, whereas it's $126 online. Just wondering what the large price difference is from, is it just brick & mortar vs online?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

MSRP vs MAP
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

It seems like the Para 3 is popular enough to justify a Left Hand model in black S30V. I would certainly buy one after trying the right hand version, which I like better than the Para 2.
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C41 Native 5 | Never Summer/NFFF
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Let's raise this thread from the graveyard:

A Para3 or LW Para3 - do lefties stand a chance?

I know we already have Para2 and Military and a number of lockbacks and CBBL, and you'll say you spoiled us, but is this ever going to happen?
Scavallaro85

Post by Scavallaro85 »

I’m a lefty as well and I own many many knives would absolutely buy multiple para 3 lefty’s as I love the manix 2 and para 2 lefty but want one a little smaller thanks not let’s make it happen
ivtecdaily

Post by ivtecdaily »

I know they will do a run of lefties just based on the popularity of the model. The PM2 lefty is too big for me but I have two of those and would instantly purchase two para 3 lefties. I would be more than happy with black g10 and s30v. Honestly since they will probably only do one run of them, vanilla is fine and dandy to me.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Maybe... Just maybe... the next batch of Sprints will be all Left Handers!!! We have to BELIEVE!

But I agree that a LH Para 3 would be cool. But to get me to click "buy," would require above-average steel.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Nor a lefty and neither a Para 3 guy, but I am a bit surprised that there are around 30 (?) or so variants of this knife already but is no lefty version?
I would have thought such should sell well enough, but of course I have no insight whatsoever in the knife market.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ric

Post by Ric »

A lefty version would definitely be appreciated!!!
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

I am a southpaw myself, so I am always pro more left hand options...HOWEVER I personally have no issue using the "normal" compression lock with my left hand. Maybe it's just muscle memory and training to get used to using it left handed?
Justin :spyder: