The Advocate - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mrtodd777

Re: The Advocate - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Post by mrtodd777 »

craytab wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Bodog wrote:
[Applause]

I bet you make a mean margarita being so salty all the time.
Now I want a margarita.
I was hoping I wasn't the only one...
palonej

Post by palonej »

I just had one......very salty!!!
:D
npad69

Post by npad69 »

that advocate and all those salty chitchat makes me wanna slice some lemon and pour myself a tequila
cheers mates!
sal

Post by sal »

Patron Anejo?

sal
palonej

Post by palonej »

CHEERS!!!!
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

palonej wrote:I just had one......very salty!!!
:D
I've been favoring whiskey and peach tea. Much sweeter.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

My Spydie collection just slightly outnumbers my oldie goldie "sipper" selection. Of these, I'm an advocate. :rolleyes:
TBob

Post by TBob »

Any news on the Advocate redesign? I was ready to pull the trigger today on one, but want to wait for the redesigned pivot. The Southard Blackblade gave me flipper fever, and I love Gayle Bradley designs. :-)
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

We made some adjustments to the mechanism. We're waiting on test samples.

sal
TBob

Post by TBob »

sal wrote:We made some adjustments to the mechanism. We're waiting on test samples.

sal
Thanks, Sal! I'm not in a hurry, but then deferred gratification is the insidious crippler of youth... ;)
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

sal wrote:We made some adjustments to the mechanism. We're waiting on test samples.

sal
Hi Sal, I'll volunteer and kick one of my pm2's out of my pocket to test one for you :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

sal
Thanks for the update Sal. I have a feeling the finalized adjustments are really going to skyrocket the Advocate's popularity within the industry. Can't wait! All the best!

-Hovan
hovan2yourknives

sal
Hello Mr. Glesser...I was just wondering if you guys ever received the test samples and if there are any further updates...?

-Hovan
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Hovan,

We received the test pieces. They were acceptable. We sent back the current inventory and we're waiting production.

sal
hovan2yourknives

Thank you sir...that's great news. I really appreciate the quick reply. All the best!

-Hovan
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

great news! :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Mine is still firing strong! Rock solid, no blade play, still perfectly centered, flips great! I love this knife, it's almost kicked the Slysz Bowie out of my pocket...
Josh
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Many dealers are still selling old stock of the Advocate.

How will people know that they're getting the fixed model? I guess one has to look at the box for letters corresponding to month/year of manufacturing? If the fixed model started being manufactured in August 2017 the code would be HQ?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
stevekolt

Post by stevekolt »

RamZar wrote:Many dealers are still selling old stock of the Advocate.

How will people know that they're getting the fixed model? I guess one has to look at the box for letters corresponding to month/year of manufacturing? If the fixed model started being manufactured in August 2017 the code would be HQ?
Good question. I will definitely be picking one up once the new model is out. Sal, can you tell us how to determine if the knife is indeed the improved version?
Ti Rod Tactical

Post by Ti Rod Tactical »

I prefer PB washers in a serious use knife, so I'd probably never buy an Advocate. The only ball bearing knife I own is a used ZT-0562CF just to see how good it flipped. Now I'm over the flipping infatuation. ;)

However, If I did own one I'd eliminate the ball bearing cage entirely, fit a brass or bronze bushing tight into the recesses to take up a lot of the headspace of the BB cage,...and use a .015" to .020" hardened steel washer to make up the difference to rest against the ball bearings. Same count of 2 components to get the same overall thickness as the original ball bearing system, but much more durable and user friendly for tinkerers.

....it should flip even better too, without the potential for the really thin washer to distort and dimple. Just saying that's what I would do....