Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kbuzbee

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Post by kbuzbee »

Wow, 1892 seems pretty late for a projection like that. The North American Datum (NAD '27 of the US Geological Survey) was established in 1927 and held for many decades until eventually updated by satellite... amazing. That's only 35 years earlier. The issue of course is fitting a ball to a flat (aka usable) map. State zones do that with double intersecting cones for long east-west states and cylinders for long north -south states to minimize distortion (they are only "true" at the two lines of intersection). But nothing quite like that...

Ken
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

You, you, you..... Constitutionalist, you!
That is a compliment.Thanks Ken! :)

Joe
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

The Mastiff wrote:
Yeah, to us it is. It's become a pretty derogatory comment among "the elite"

You're welcome Joe. Knew you'd appreciate it.

Ken
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

kbuzbee wrote:
The Mastiff wrote:
Yeah, to us it is. It's become a pretty derogatory comment among "the elite"

You're welcome Joe. Knew you'd appreciate it.

Ken

Lucky you - having a constitution! We don't :mad:

I did a lot of flood repair locally in 2000. One of the buildings I was working on (maybe c.1750) had obvious flood repair works going back to to at least the mid 1800s. Interestingly, the material and techniques used then (hardwood lining planks, rather than variations on lathe & plaster, for example) were far more resilient than all of the later works.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

This should settle it once and for all.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spe ... 2d80670b3c
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I don't in any way believe in or even give thought to the claims of the "Flat Earth Society" but I do marvel in a way that such a group even exists :confused: . I've often wondered what their real objective is :confused: ?? There are also groups that believe in a hollow earth and groups that believe there are civilizations in the inner part of the Earth.

How anyone in our present age with the technologies we have could even begin to believe in a Flat Earth just blows me away :confused: Maybe it's just a older "Boy's Club" like some of these other secret societies. Even the Bible validates a round, spherical earth when it's mentioned about "As Far Away as The East Is From The West" That could only be a reality in a Round, Spherical Earth.

But listening to Clyde Lewis' radio show he mentioned recently that the organization has conventions 2 to 3 times a year and they have many members from all over the globe apparently :confused: . I just have to believe that organization has other objectives that probably have little to do with the geometric shape of our planet. I believe that there is a lot more that we don't know about the Earth than what we actually do know. Many of those ancient civilizations I'm convinced had high technologies of their own. There are just way too many unanswered questions. Graham Hancock's book "Fingerprints Of the GODs" has a lot of proof that ancient civilizations had high tech inventions in many sectors of science. This has been a very interesting thread with great discussion.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, now of course, Fox and others are airing stupid stories of how America never actually went to the moon. Of course, these people believe in the tooth fairy, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mad Mac wrote:This should settle it once and for all.
I'm shocked the FAA is even allowing this. Maybe he'll get shot down :confused:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Ha, that guy is hustling the flat earth people for money so he can build a rocket.

He is going to launch himself 1800 feet over the California desert. Maybe somebody should tell him there is a mountain in California he can climb that is over 14,000 feet. That seems a bit safer.

They say there is a fine line between bravery and stupidity. I wish him luck and I genuinely hope he doesn't kill himself.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:Well, now of course, Fox and others are airing stupid stories of how America never actually went to the moon. Of course, these people believe in the tooth fairy, too.
I do believe that the USA did land on the moon in 1969 with Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Co. But there are some aspects to it that do have me scratching my head :confused: First and foremost it's extremely confusing to me that according to them we have not been back there since 1972 :confused: So I ask myself what was the urgency of going to the moon if all we did was just to go there to make the claim that we did it :confused: It seems to me like there should have been some goals for accomplishing things up there or to establish a space station up there?

Also I find it very strange that Neil Armstrong didn't even do an interview for almost 25 years according to George Noory who is a very popular radio talk show host ( Coast To Coast AM). With all the money and time spent on those missions it doesn't seem like we got much of a dividend out of it :confused: or very much accomplished either :confused:

No I don't think that the moon landings could have been hoaxed because by now someone would have spilled the beans. But for a long time there have been many aspects to those missions that really confused me as to why we went to begin with. And after that it seemed like most of what we did in space had to do with those space shuttles :confused: Overall it seems like it was kind of waste to me in several aspects :confused:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I knew all of those people. We went to the moon. period.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote: I do believe that the USA did land on the moon in 1969 with Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Co.

I seem to recall one of the two claimed that they made contact with alien life while on the moon. I would guess that if that were true, even if it were a non threatening contact, that would be enough to keep us at a cautious distance.
~David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Ha! Aliens lol. It was surely just a space-race with the Soviets, mostly for prestige.

Re. your man with his rocket - google the Darwin Awards.... awarded to people who best progress the human gene pool by removing themselves from it in the most spectacularly stupid manner.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't understand what Rocketman is trying to prove that airplanes aren't already doing? How does he plan to disprove the curve of the earth at such a low height, traveling such a short distance?
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:I don't understand what Rocketman is trying to prove that airplanes aren't already doing? How does he plan to disprove the curve of the earth at such a low height, traveling such a short distance?
In fairness, the article clearly states that his planned 1800' flight is just an equipment test in preparation for a much higher flight. Still, to want to do this, he must believe every photo ever taken by those who have flown high enough to see the earth is fake since none has ever shown all the continents at once.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:
Evil D wrote:I don't understand what Rocketman is trying to prove that airplanes aren't already doing? How does he plan to disprove the curve of the earth at such a low height, traveling such a short distance?
In fairness, the article clearly states that his planned 1800' flight is just an equipment test in preparation for a much higher flight. Still, to want to do this, he must believe every photo ever taken by those who have flown high enough to see the earth is fake since none has ever shown all the continents at once.

Didn't the SR-71 guys talk about flying so high they could see he curvature of the earth? For that matter can't commercial airline pilots/passengers?
~David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Evil D wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

Didn't the SR-71 guys talk about flying so high they could see he curvature of the earth? For that matter can't commercial airline pilots/passengers?
You can see the curvature at sea, even some coastal horizons.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Evil D wrote:Didn't the SR-71 guys talk about flying so high they could see he curvature of the earth? For that matter can't commercial airline pilots/passengers?
You can see the curvature at sea, even some coastal horizons.
I'm sure these things are true. My assumption was that he (irrationally) believes he'll see something like that New Standard map Mad Mac showed on page 8, rather than never being able to see more than half the earth at a time. How else would he "prove" the earth is flat.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

All these flat earthers should just join together on a jumbo jet and fly in one direction towards the edge of the planet and hold their breath until they reach it.
~David
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

Evil D wrote:
Mad Mac wrote:This should settle it once and for all.
I'm shocked the FAA is even allowing this. Maybe he'll get shot down :confused:

I hate to say it but, I don’t think anyone needs to shoot him down if he actually gets off the ground. I just hope the firey debris doesn’t rain down from the sky and hurt anyone.

I wish him well, but I am expecting he will have a very very bad day.