China > Golden ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zhyla

Re: China > Golden ?

Post by zhyla »

I have a Tenacious and an Ambitious. I can kind of see where the OP is coming from. Yhe Ambitious in particular I could see being a $150 knife it had a different origin and a premium steel.

I don't really see the value in saying one factory is better than another. Unless you're comparing the same models made in different factories you're kind of just being subjective. I would expect the Tenacious line to be designed with that factory's capabilities in mind. It's probably easier to get right.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zhyla wrote:I have a Tenacious and an Ambitious. I can kind of see where the OP is coming from. Yhe Ambitious in particular I could see being a $150 knife it had a different origin and a premium steel.

I don't really see the value in saying one factory is better than another. Unless you're comparing the same models made in different factories you're kind of just being subjective. I would expect the Tenacious line to be designed with that factory's capabilities in mind. It's probably easier to get right.
Now I do see what point you guys are trying to get across that own and use Chinese made units. But for me, myself and I>> I've had much better overall results with GOLDEN, CO USA Earth made Spyders and I've found the overall construction, blade steel along with Spyderco's great warranty and repair just seem to do much better with their home grown units.

Of all the Spyders I've owned over the years and I go all the way back to 1995 when I got my first one which was a Japan made unit i.e. Stainless handled, GIN-1, SE Mariner model>> and it won me over until I got my very first GOLDEN, USA made model which was one of the first generation Renegade models and I could immediately see the meticulous detail in it's construction. Then when I got my first C-36 Military model I was sold completely.

And the Seki Japan made units are super>> my C-60 Ayoob is one of my sacred, permanent models along with dozens of other Japan made units I've owned over the years.

Now I have one small exception to that rule>> I did at one time own two of the German made Spyders which were the Titanium Herbst models. And they were equal in quality as the GOLDEN USA units. Case Closed :cool:
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

I think a vast majority of the public would balk at buying a $50 knife, no matter where produced. Comparing that to a knife that costs three times as much is only natural.
I personally will not buy a Tenacious. I do, however, own a Raven 2. That is the upper limit for a Chinese knife for me. If I were to be reimbursed for all of my Spydercos, but could keep only one, the Raven 2 may be it. I think the overall quality is that good.
That being said, I think the best Chinese made knives I own are two Kershaw Emersons. Those are the CQC-6k and 3k and the combined cost was about that of the Raven 2. Looking at the fit and finish, I really can't find anything to complain about.

The highest I will go for a knife is around the PM2/Para 3/Manix 2 lines. I feel that the FRN models from Seki are the ultimate work/beater knives, especially the Salts. Are they " smooth"? Not particularly. The black Pac Salt SE has rub marks on the blade where it hit the scales while closing. When closed, it has that ugly gap behind the thumb ramp. But it excels at what it was designed to do. And that it to cut stuff, not rust or break. And that is what a knife is for.
But.... The knife that now occupies my pocket is a pre-owned, broken in, re-ground all black PM2.

I feel that the quality of the Seki and Golden knives matches their price and intended use. Anything higher, and I would be afraid of damage or loss. Not to speak of the obsessive search for any flaws or perceived defects.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
JimP

Post by JimP »

I've only had a Tenacious and a Persistence from the China line but neither came close to my Golden made knives in terms of fit, finish, smoothness or quality feel, maybe I just got unlucky?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

qazy wrote:I had a chance to handle China made Spyderco; Resilience model.
I was pleasantly surprised.
The opening and closing felt smoother and much creamier compared to Golden models (PM2 and Milie).
G10 was countered compared to sharper edges on Golden models, which felt right. Also the texture of G10 was smoother. Less grippy but more pleasant to touch.
Openning click is less sharp though, I am on a fence about this. Both are nice.

I think Golden factory can borrow few tricks from China.
Better than Golden :eek: :D That's high praise, I'm glad to hear the China Models are so well made qazy :) I will recommend them to friends.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

When someone comes here and states " China is greater than Golden" doesn't that just mean "I want attention" ? Not really something worth paragraphs in response to IMO.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I'm not big on Chinese but I quite like the crispy skin chicken from The Golden Bowl at Randwick plus they chop it up with a cleaver and I don't need a knife to eat it. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I've owned 2 Chinese made Spydies and near 100 non Chinese made spydies so I obviously prefer the latter. If I'm going to recommend a less expensive starter spyderco I'm going Delica 9 times out of 10.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I do love my ClipiTool bottle opener. The quality is decent for a $25 knife and it is super handy. It has a small blade, bottle opener, screwdriver and pry tool in a small package and it fits my hand better than the Ladybug or Manbug.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

JD Spydo wrote:Well I've let it be known on several occasions that I have an ultimate affinity for the models made in GOLDEN, CO USA Earth>> those are my ultimate top picks. Second I dearly love the Japanese made Spyders and I own many. I find the quality of both of those manufacturing plants to be my top 2 and I doubt if anything is going to change anytime soon.

I'm an American and will probably always gravitate toward American made products. And i just like the Golden CO USA models the best. But the Japan made units really impress me as well.

I've had a couple of the Taiwan made units and there is nothing wrong with them per se but I just like the GOLDEN and Seki units the best.
I am not American but, yeah, that ^^^

Gerard
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

This thread needs pics...

anycal

Post by anycal »

Peter
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Manalishi,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I've purchased a couple Chinese Spydercos, but prefer the designs out of other countries. Quality on mine seemed fine and offered great value. If a Chinese model came out with a design I wanted, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

That said, it's not impossible to think that a Chinese Spyderco could be the smoothest Spyderco a person may own, especially if they only own a couple Golden knives and they got lucky on the Chinese one. That experience, however, is likely not representative of what one can expect, as evidenced by all the other contrary comments.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
anycal

Post by anycal »

I am by no means a knife connoisseur, but I do prefer a look, and I like my IPAs local.

You put that Golden jimping and different steel on a Tenacious, and it can pass for a Colorado knife.

I have several Golden knives and a Delica; handled Tenacious once.
Peter
ImageX

Post by ImageX »

qazy wrote:I had a chance to handle China made Spyderco; Resilience model.
I was pleasantly surprised.
The opening and closing felt smoother and much creamier compared to Golden models (PM2 and Milie).
G10 was countered compared to sharper edges on Golden models, which felt right. Also the texture of G10 was smoother. Less grippy but more pleasant to touch.
Openning click is less sharp though, I am on a fence about this. Both are nice.

I think Golden factory can borrow few tricks from China.
It's sort of obvious that you have no real experience with any of the mentioned knives and your sample size barely exists at all. Therefore, your statement about Golden borrowing from China to improve knives is hearby regarded as unfounded trash. Sad but true... sorry.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

It seems a lot of people is just reading the title and not the OP.
I got to agree with the OP, there's some things that that particular China made model (Resilience) is good at. Scale feeling can be a question of taste but the overall function of the knife is good. I have a lot of spidies and although I don't own right now any China model I had a tenacious (sold because I prefer smaller blades) and gifted 2 persistence to friends. On all of them the action was smooth, yes, better than some other spydies that I have. But the lock itself also comes into play (linerlocks are easier to be smooth).
And neither the OP nor I is saying the China models are better than the others, just pointing out some particular things they're good or better at.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

A knife's action, edge sharpness and the traction of G10 are fairly cheap items to get right (and prone to vary per unit). I'd say buy some of both and enjoy each model and what goes into making them.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I have 2 Tenacious,1 Ambitious,1 Polestar-they are all perfect.Smooth action,solid lock-perfect.I have 3 Endura,2 Delica they are also perfect.I also have 2 PM2 and one Millie-they are also perfect.When you buy a knife you got all the hype-positive and negative which cames with it.If the PM2 would be produced in China from next month,at the same price,the sales would be the same,only far less people will bragg with their purchase.If it would be sold at 60$ the sales will drop,because it will loose part of its magic.
Bottom line is Spyderco quality is superb no matter where the knife is produced,only the flair surounding the knife is different.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have not seen a Chinese knife that was as smooth nor as nicely finished as the Golden models. However, that does not mean the OP's knife is not nicer. I have a Cat that is nicer in every way than my much more expensive Chaparral CF (although this is a nice knife). So, I can kind of understand where he is coming from. (From the looks of them, the newer Cats do not seem quite as nice, but I have not handled one, but I also note they lack jimping. Mine has jimping top and bottom.)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050