Lil' Nilakka Sharpening

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Don Eric

Lil' Nilakka Sharpening

Post by Don Eric »

Does one need to do anything special when sharpening the Lil' Nilakka since it has such a tiny bevel?
J D Wijbenga

Re: Lil' Nilakka Sharpening

Post by J D Wijbenga »

I have not really sharpened mine. Only checked for a wire edge with a few light passes on the diamond side of my Fallkniven DC4. Nemo wrote a pease about his experiences with is Lil'Nilakka HERE.
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

It shouldn't take as long as a thicker bevel to sharpen due to being small. Otherwise there is nothing special about sharpening it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Assuming it's a similar edge as the original, I just sharpen mine on the Sharpmaker. It's probably the easiest sharpening Spyderco I have.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Don Eric

Post by Don Eric »

Thanks for the responses. It seemed like it would be straight forward but I just wanted to check since the blade is so unusual.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I've already touched mine up on the SM a couple times, handful of lite passes at 30, RWL34 seems to hold a nice edge for a while.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

Just sharpened mine, pretty much as I do other knives. Cut of old edge, shape with extra-coarse DMT, and refine and finish with diamond side of the Fallkniven DC4. The finished edge could split a head hair.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

On my original I hit the sides of the bevel on the 40 degree setting. To get around this I tilt the knife so that I'm increasing the angle to hit the actual edge of the blade.

I know this isn't ideal, but it saves me from reprofiling the knife.

What would you guys do in this situation? I find it to be an issue with pretty much every Taichung knife I get. It's never an issue on a knife made in Golden. At least not for the last year or so.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I wreck edges so quickly, frequently and thoroughly that a reprofile on an extra coarse stone is pretty much step one of sharpening for me.