My Mantra...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

My Mantra...

Post by Surfingringo »

Is soooo smooth. This one has been hiding in my spyderpac for the last six months but I dug it out last week and it hasn't left my pocket since. Man, I know there was some controversy over Spyderco flippers but this thing is amazing! Buttery smooth with no bumpiness and flipping action is outstanding. More importantly to me though is the design itself is a total winner. Ti frame lock Delica with a flipper is what this thing is. Love it!

https://youtu.be/jifgPxkRw8M
ZrowsN1s

Re: My Mantra...

Post by ZrowsN1s »

You gonna take it out fishing? I'm curious how minor corrosion/fish guts effects the bearings.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Hmmm......at first I had my doubts Gringo about the Mantra.....but that video.......
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I agree, the Mantra is a great knife, one of my favorites. Mine is smooth and flips great too.
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Smoothest pivot I own.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Same here. Carrying it today.. I bet he is not planning on taking it fishing. That M4 wouldn't appreciate it much I bet. Thats why variety is the spice of life and Spyderco offers plenty of that!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

mrtodd777 wrote:Same here. Carrying it today.. I bet he is not planning on taking it fishing. That M4 wouldn't appreciate it much I bet. Thats why variety is the spice of life and Spyderco offers plenty of that!
I agree, I use my H1 in the kitchen and my M4 in the garage. I was just curious about hard using the bearings, Lances field tests tend to answer a lot of questions about performance tolerances.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
palonej

Post by palonej »

Feel the same way about my Southard, Domino and Advocate!!
Stupid smooth flippers, all 3 of them!!
Joe
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:Smoothest pivot I own.
Mine too and I have some good ones!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I love mine. Nice rediscovery there.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Thanks Lance, both the Mantra and Mantra 2 are great knives. Wish we'd see a Mantra 2 XL, bronze washers with lc200n.....would be a definite buy for me. If easier to bring to market, a Ti framelock Millie w/lc200n would also be fantastic.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
mrtodd777 wrote:Same here. Carrying it today.. I bet he is not planning on taking it fishing. That M4 wouldn't appreciate it much I bet. Thats why variety is the spice of life and Spyderco offers plenty of that!
I agree, I use my H1 in the kitchen and my M4 in the garage. I was just curious about hard using the bearings, Lances field tests tend to answer a lot of questions about performance tolerances.
I like testing em hard but I think I already know what a couple of days on the kayak would do to the m4/bearings combo. Horses for courses and this horse is gonna stay out of the saltwater. :p

That said, I have tested m4 on the kayak and it actually does ok but requires a lot of care. I have a test knife in m4 that Phil Wilson made for me and I spent a week testing it in the kayak and was able to keep it from suffering any serious harm. It required frequent sharpening because of corrosion induced edge degradation and it had to be cleaned and oiled immediately after each trip but overall it wasn't much worse for wear after a few days on the water. If that was the only steel I owned then I could make it work but thankfully we've got a plethora of better options.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I don't blame you, that's a nice looking knife, I never saw the delica resemblance until you mentioned it.

Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I used to own Mantras 1 and 2, but the action became gritty over time. After attempting different methods of cleaning the pivot and washers, I couldn't bring them back to factory fresh smoothness and eventually sold them both :( The same with my old Southard.

The titanium, the blade steel, the wire pocket clip, and just the over all design of the Mantras are excellent, interesting, and plain cool. A larger Mantra 1 framelock, with no bearings, and perhaps a more stainless powdered steel would be a true winner for my personal taste.
RocketBen

Post by RocketBen »

My Mantra started out smooth like butter, but developed some friction and sticky spots. I'll probably send it in to Spyderco one of these days.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Improper lubrication and contamination are the banes of any mechanism. These types are just pickier and we have to accept that.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

It's a keeper Lance ;) Enjoy :)

Marius
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

elena86 wrote:It's a keeper Lance ;) Enjoy :)

Marius
It is indeed Marius. Thank you my friend!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I don't blame you, that's a nice looking knife, I never saw the delica resemblance until you mentioned it.
I posted this pic when the Mantras were released, the Delica resemblance is undeniable (there's some direct resemblance to the Caly family as well).

Lance, you don't have a hard time getting a proper grip on your Mantra? I just couldn't get the knife to feel right in hand with the flipper in the way, so I removed it and the ergos are great for me now. I have no issue with grip on the Mantra2 but that flipper tab on the Delica-like Mantra1 had to go for me to make it feel "right". Cheers, Radioactive :)

^^^ My Mantra2 on top of my Mantra1
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:I don't blame you, that's a nice looking knife, I never saw the delica resemblance until you mentioned it.
I posted this pic when the Mantras were released, the Delica resemblance is undeniable (there's some direct resemblance to the Caly family as well).

Lance, you don't have a hard time getting a proper grip on your Mantra? I just couldn't get the knife to feel right in hand with the flipper in the way, so I removed it and the ergos are great for me now. I have no issue with grip on the Mantra2 but that flipper tab on the Delica-like Mantra1 had to go for me to make it feel "right". Cheers, Radioactive :)

^^^ My Mantra2 on top of my Mantra1
the Mantra 1 with its tab removed is the one on top in that last picture, right?