SpyderCard 2 Concept Idea

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knife Knut

SpyderCard 2 Concept Idea

Post by Knife Knut »

I have always liked the idea of the SpyderCard, but it also strikes me as being wider than it needs to be. (Kicking myself for missing out on the ByrdCard) Reducing the width by 1/2 to 2/3 would result in a knife with just as much function, but much more concealable (one of the original design goals). This change would also lend it towards the addition of a removable pocket clip, and so it could also function as a money clip .

This is just a quick and dirty mockup done in MS Paint, but It gets the idea across. The width reduction for this Spydercard 2 mockup is 50%
Last edited by Knife Knut on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Evil D

Re: SpyderCard 2 Concept Idea

Post by Evil D »

Make it PE and FFG and I'm interested.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Evil D wrote:Make it PE and FFG and I'm interested.
PE, FFG, and Ti or CF. I have one of the original Spydercards and it's too heavy for its intended use.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

dsvirsky wrote:
Evil D wrote:Make it PE and FFG and I'm interested.
PE, FFG, and Ti or CF. I have one of the original Spydercards and it's too heavy for its intended use.
Thin titanium would be cool. I'm not sure if linerless G10/CF would be rigid enough as thin as it would need to be and this needs to be extremely thin for the intended use. Maybe something like the Dogtag's construction could work..
~David
mattman

Post by mattman »

Looks kinda like the Chokwe...
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I would be interested in a longer Squarehead with ffg
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
h8speech

Post by h8speech »

Evil D wrote:I'm not sure if linerless G10/CF would be rigid enough as thin as it would need to be
Linerless CF is more rigid than just about anything.

The story of CF:

1. People invent it, it's extremely rigid and light, but expensive.

2. People use it in high-performance applications because it's extremely rigid and light

3. It becomes associated with high-performance applications and consequently becomes trendy. At the same time, the price drops

4. Other people start using it in other applications because now it's associated with expensive high performance stuff.

Personally, I hate the look of CF because it looks like the ****** fake-CF wrap which a wannabe gangsta would put on his hotted-up Subaru WRX. But it's an excellent structural material and it's the best choice here.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

h8speech wrote:
Evil D wrote:I'm not sure if linerless G10/CF would be rigid enough as thin as it would need to be
Linerless CF is more rigid than just about anything.

The story of CF:

1. People invent it, it's extremely rigid and light, but expensive.

2. People use it in high-performance applications because it's extremely rigid and light

3. It becomes associated with high-performance applications and consequently becomes trendy. At the same time, the price drops

4. Other people start using it in other applications because now it's associated with expensive high performance stuff.

Personally, I hate the look of CF because it looks like the ****** fake-CF wrap which a wannabe gangsta would put on his hotted-up Subaru WRX. But it's an excellent structural material and it's the best choice here.
Rigid wasn't really the word I was looking for. Yes it's stiff as ****, but it breaks easily when it's too thin. I've ran CF parts in my RC cars for years and it doesn't take much to break them. Granted a pocket knife shouldn't be seeing the abuse that an RC car sees, I just don't see how it could hold up to lateral flex as well as equally thin titanium. It may be ok for one side/scale but unless this is a slip joint or back lock then it needs some kind of metal for the lock anyway.
~David
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I definitely like it and would be in for one. I wouldn't be opposed to even seeing a total DLC coat as a variation as well.
Think for yourself
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

I will pass on the whole card idea. If you alter the card-dimensions, it is no longer a cardknife, right? I only see it as a collectable or gadget, but that is just my 2 cents......
h8speech

Post by h8speech »

Evil D wrote:Yes it's stiff as ****, but it breaks easily when it's too thin.
Aha, I see what you mean. Yeah, I guess it could be a problem. I don't really see this as a knife you're going to chuck in your pocket and sit on though, that's more a PM2 job.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

h8speech wrote:
Evil D wrote:Yes it's stiff as ****, but it breaks easily when it's too thin.
Aha, I see what you mean. Yeah, I guess it could be a problem. I don't really see this as a knife you're going to chuck in your pocket and sit on though, that's more a PM2 job.
I thought the idea of the Spydercard was to actually fit into a wallet as a credit card would. Or, it would be really cool if that were possible.
~David
h8speech

Post by h8speech »

Evil D wrote:I thought the idea of the Spydercard was to actually fit into a wallet as a credit card would. Or, it would be really cool if that were possible.
Wait, maybe I'm visualising this wrong. I thought it had a money clip on the other side, which would prevent it being that thin. If it's going into a wallet, shouldn't the handle be single-side like my Squarehead?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

h8speech wrote:
Evil D wrote:I thought the idea of the Spydercard was to actually fit into a wallet as a credit card would. Or, it would be really cool if that were possible.
Wait, maybe I'm visualising this wrong. I thought it had a money clip on the other side, which would prevent it being that thin. If it's going into a wallet, shouldn't the handle be single-side like my Squarehead?
Heck I dunno. I always assumed SpyderCARD along with the shape was meant to mimick a credit card. I guess the clip would complicate inserting it into a wallet.
~David
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Kevlar fiber in epoxy matrix makes a very light handle scale. It wouldn't be as stiff as same-sized carbon fiber/epoxy, but much tougher. It has to be molded to final shape because it's impossible to sand it smooth once you get into the fiber layer.
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

So to summarize the description the consensus of desired features of this hypothetical design study knife so far:
  • Full Flat Ground PlainEdge
  • Sandwich handle construction using lightweight materials; this could be done in one of two ways.
  • The clip would be removeable so that it could fit in a wallet. Or better yet, figure out some way to do a clip that could fold into the thickness of the knife, but I don't know where to begin with that.
  • It could also function as a money clip, since we already want to put a removable clip on it, and already in that size range. I am sure we can come up with something more clever than SpyderClip. Clyp perhaps?
  • Titanium framelock of screwed together construction, with spacers. The scale opposite the framelock could be made from nearly any thin, reasonably stiff material, simply as an edge guard, as in the aluminum Dog Tag Image
  • Dialex's Akimbo much resembles what I had in mind, (aside from being compression lock)
  • Or a shortened Chokwe.
  • One reason to do it this way is to allow multiple types of materials to be used for the face scale with minimal to no change in tooling, allowing various factory versions. Or a large blank canvas for engraving and/or art.
  • Alternately, an open face sandwich construction could be done (if the blade were chisel ground) in the same way as the other versions of the Dog Tag.
  • Essentially it would be a stretched Dog Tag or Squarehead with a clip and a pointier blade profile that the longer handle allows. Thinness could be a strength for this type of construction, as the original spydercard is a bit on the thick side to put in a wallet, especially if you have an already overstuffed wallet.
One scenario: you want to leave purse overstuffed man wallet somewhere secure and just carry the basics. You pull the basics and the Clyp out, clip them to the Clyp and hit the beach.

Personally, I do not like the idea of edges that are exposed when a knife is closed, even if they are nearly flush to the handle. Not sure why.
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

Accidental double post.