2018 Forum Calendar Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

2018 Forum Calendar Contest!

Post by TazKristi »

Contest Overview:
Enter the 2018 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest today! We are again making a 12-month wall calendar using images created by you, our forum members (this will be our 7th year). We're going to tweak it a bit this year - a total of 12 images will be chosen (instead of 13 like in past years).

The cover is always the coveted spot and the Grand Prize Winner. However, we don't get to enjoy the image nearly as long as we do the other 12. For that reason, 2018 will be different. The image chosen as the cover will also be given a month! Obviously, the remaining 11 images will fill out the months of the calendar.

Contest starts today, 12-Jun-2017 and ends at 1600MDT Friday, 11-Aug-2017. Winners will be selected by Spyderco and will be posted on the forum by Friday,18-Aug-2017.

Calendars will be available for purchase this autumn through the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store.

The Prizes:
• If your image is chosen as the Grand Prize Winner you'll receive a Spyderco Shaman (C229GP - MSRP $249.95) AND a Spyderco Para 3 Sprint with CPM Cru-Wear (C223GPGYCW - MSRP $209.95). The Shaman will be engraved with winner's forum name and the box will be signed by Sal.

• Artists who have their image chosen to represent a specific calendar month (again, this year a total of 11) will each receive a Spyderco Para 3 Sprint with CPM Cru-Wear (C223GPGYCW - MSRP $209.95).

• Each member who enters the contest (and uploads their high-res image file following the completion of the contest) will receive a 2018 calendar when they become available.

Please enter to win - don’t enter just to receive the calendar. We appreciate everyone’s interest and support and look forward to another fantastic calendar!

Please read all of the info below before posting. We know it’s a lot of words, but it’s important!

Submission Guidelines:
• Please include a 2-5 sentence description of your entry - why you chose the product(s) featured, the history of the image, etc.; something to give us a better understanding of your submission.

• Please include the product name (if you know it) in your post.

• Entry must include a Spyderco product (at least one, but multiple are welcome). Any product Spyderco has ever made is fair game. Your chosen product can be pristine, used or radically modified.

• We encourage you to use your imagination and show us your creativity. Just remember, family-friendly!

• Themed images are welcome. Have a favorite season or holiday? Showcase it in your image.

• If your camera or image software can manipulate it – we’ll consider it. Be creative!

• Entries must be in a digital format and meet the formatting requirements below.

• Only ONE image submission per person. You are permitted to modify your submission after posting. If you decide to modify your entry, you must edit your original submission and re-submit the new image before the contest deadline. Having multiple photo submissions at the end date of the contest will invalidate all of your submissions.

• In order to be considered, post your image to this thread. It is not necessary or recommended that you post a 300dpi image to our Forums. Keeping up with web standards, a 72dpi image preview that does not exceed 960px in width for the forum will be just fine. You may use Photobucket or any similar photo sharing site to provide a link to your image so long as all other requirements are met within your post. If you use a photo sharing site, the image must remain publicly available online until 14-Aug-2017.

FORMATTING Requirements:
• The Spyderco 2017 Calendar will be printed in an 8 ½” by 11” landscape format. Only landscape formatted images will be considered and significant cropping/resizing may occur to winning images. All portrait formatted images will be disqualified.

• Final Print Image Guidelines (ABSOLUTE MINIMUM – Images should be no smaller than this):
Width: 3450 px
Height: 2700 px
Resolution: 300
(This translates to 11.5” x 9” to account for a ¼ inch bleed)

• Image Preview (for posting on the forum)
Width: 960px
Resolution: 72

When we announce the winners, we will also announce how to submit your hi-res image if your image is chosen. If you cannot supply the high-res file of your image at the end of the contest, your winning submission will be forfeited.

Content Restrictions:
• The submission must not contain any copyrighted material (unless you own the copyright).
• Your submission must be entirely original and created by you.
• Images may not contain any kind of promotional material - this includes trademarks and logos for non-Spyderco businesses, even those for your own personal endeavors.
• Only family-friendly, tasteful submissions will be considered. Remember this calendar will be hanging in someone’s home or office.

NOTE: If you upload an image that we feel might violate our content restrictions, we will do our best to contact you and let you know that your image might be disqualified prior to the end of the contest. However, we cannot guarantee this so be sure to meet all requirements and review the content restrictions carefully prior to posting.

Eligibility:
• The 2018 Spyderco Calendar Contest is open to all members of the Spyderco.com Forum who are at least 18 years of age. Proof of age may be required.
• Employees, relatives of employees of Spyderco, its partner companies, and manufacturers are not eligible to enter or win.

Obligatory Fine Print:
• Submitted images become the exclusive property of Spyderco Inc. By posting your photo in this thread, user grants unencumbered, free usage and printing use solely to Spyderco Inc.
• This contest is subject to all laws and void where prohibited.
• Please keep in mind that there are various laws and regulations regarding knives throughout the world. If you are selected as a winner and you live in a region that prohibits us from sending the intended prize we have the right to substitute your prize as we see fit.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Mushroom

Re: 2018 Forum Calendar Contest!

Post by Mushroom »

Exciting news, time to step up my picture taking game! Thanks again for hosting such a fun and generous contest, Spyderco!
-Nick :bug-red
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thank you, Kristi! I always look forward to the annual Spyderco calendar contest. :D Thanks for the opportunity and best of luck to all who participate!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I understand very little of photography. Can the technical requirements be achieved with a normal mobile phone?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

tonijedi wrote:I understand very little of photography. Can the technical requirements be achieved with a normal mobile phone?
I believe it's certainly possible. I have an older digital camera (14 MP) that I've used in the past to submit pictures for this contest. However, a number of the newer cell phones today offer built-in cameras with MP's equal to or better than that. Please note that I'm no photo/tech guru by any stretch, so perhaps some of our techy folks here can weigh in. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Thanks Kristi for the opportunity again! I guess it's time to start practicing with my fancy new camera to get the perfect shot!
Josh
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

one of my favourite threads of the year! Thank you Kristi!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

Thank you for the opportunity to participate. Good luck to all.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Smart move on the cover photo, even if it means one less spot. Time to get to work!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

It's that wonderful time of year again!
Time to get to work :D

Good luck everyone!!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Time to try again. May all entrants do themselves justice :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Wralle

Post by Wralle »

Good Luck to all!!!!!

Hoping to make it this year.
Matriarch 2, Manix 2 translucent blue, Manix 2 Carbon Fiber CPM154/S90V, Scorpious, PM2 S110V, Para 3 SPY27, Streetbeat FRN, Bug, Chaparral Rafir Noble, Chaparral Ti, Tenacious, Mule Team 21, Domino, Rhino, Spot, One Eyed Jack, Dogtag Ti, Native 5 Fluted CF, Amalgam, Coin 2017 :cool:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This is something I look forward to each year. I am gonna try to really bring it this year.

I always look forward to seeing everyone's submissions. Good luck everyone!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

tonijedi wrote:I understand very little of photography. Can the technical requirements be achieved with a normal mobile phone?
I've been lucky enough to be featured twice, both images were taken with my mobile phone.
Good luck to everyone participating! Definitely a highlight for the year!
Thanks Spyderco for hosting this competition :)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

So I've got a question, I've taken some pics with cellphone, I see the width is 5312 pixels and the height is 2988, how can I tell what the resolution is, my computer says 72dpi, but I don't know if this means the picture being rendered on the screen or the resolution of the raw image file. Here is a screen shot of the details on the cell phone camera, and here's a screen shot of the file after moving it to my desktop. (these are of course NOT my official submissions :D )
Screenshot_2017-06-15-12-43-13.png
20170615_130302.jpg
***edit
I thought of one more question, would using the Never Summer Native Violate the rules, due to the Logo of a different company on the Blade?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Right then- I'll go first then :) (Mainly because I've been sat on this picture since January for just this moment!)

Spyderco C11TIPD Delica 4- Damascus/ Titanium
Like many people, I caught the Spyderco bug with a Delica many years ago and now have many variants in my collection- some users, some safequeens
This model is the pinnacle variant in materials and style, while retaining the slim, pocket friendly, usability that made me love the Delica.
Taken on a sub-zero morning in January, the crackle pattern of the damascus always reminded me of ice crystals, which is why it ended up as carry choice that day.
A perfect moment as the dawn started to break behind the knife and before the sun melted those ice crystals on the fence post, in the few seconds before I hit the shutter my finger print appeared as a frozen pattern on the scale!
Last edited by demoncase on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
mb1

Post by mb1 »

^^^ I don't want to bloat this thread unnecessarily, but that's a sweet shot sir! @demoncase
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

ADD-ON GIVEAWAY!!! RETRACTED!!!

Howdy everyone,
Just wanted to let folks know I'm officially rolling back the additional giveaway I kicked off over the weekend. The offer was neither linked to, nor condoned or approved by Spyderco, and it's my oversight for not taking such steps before making such a post. It was not my intent to create any unfair advantage or bias in the calendar contest submission or selection process; but that's what my offer could have done, or at least been seen as an attempt to do.

Also, my sincere apologies to those that may have been excited by the offer. I will work on finding a better way to get those items in the hands of interested parties without highjacking what is already an amazing opportunity afforded all of us by the great folks at Spyderco.

The last bit still stands, though:

Thanks, my apologies for adding non-entry bulk to the thread, and good luck to all,
- Paul
Last edited by paulwa on Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:So I've got a question, I've taken some pics with cellphone, I see the width is 5312 pixels and the height is 2988, how can I tell what the resolution is, my computer says 72dpi, but I don't know if this means the picture being rendered on the screen or the resolution of the raw image file. Here is a screen shot of the details on the cell phone camera, and here's a screen shot of the file after moving it to my desktop. (these are of course NOT my official submissions :D )
Screenshot_2017-06-15-12-43-13.png20170615_130302.jpg
Resolution of your photo is 5312x2988, no matter what the DPI (dots per inch) setting is. All dpi does is tell how large to physically display/print a photo based on that resolution.

Let's look at your height resolution of 2988. At 300 dpi, your photo would be about 10" tall (2988/300=9.96"). At 72 dpi it would be 41.5" tall (2988/72=41.5"). But either way, it would still contain the same number of pixels/dots, as dpi is just telling the display/printer how many of those 2988 pixels to cram into every inch of physical space.

If you need any assistance changing your dpi setting to conform to the requirements, send me a PM and I'll get you taken care of. It takes me about 10 seconds to change in Photoshop.
SpyderNut wrote:
I believe it's certainly possible. I have an older digital camera (14 MP) that I've used in the past to submit pictures for this contest. However, a number of the newer cell phones today offer built-in cameras with MP's equal to or better than that. Please note that I'm no photo/tech guru by any stretch, so perhaps some of our techy folks here can weigh in. :)
A camera needs approximately a 9.3 MP sensor to achieve the required resolution. That said, a clean photo taken on a 7 or 8 MP camera can be upscaled a little bit to achieve the required resolution without any problem. If anyone is just a little short of the required resolution, I'm happy to help out with the upscale.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
pR13S7

Post by pR13S7 »

Spyderco Brad Southard Flipper C156GPBN

First flipper form Spyderco and immediately love at first sight for me. Love ratio of the length of the blade to the length of the handle - excellent blade length with the total compactness of the knife in the folded state. At first, it was a bit scary to use such a knife, which was so expensive for me, but time passed and now is a true friend in all my hikes to the mountains.

Last edited by pR13S7 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.