more high-chromium steels please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tripscheck'em

more high-chromium steels please

Post by tripscheck'em »

just a request, since Spyderco listens to the forum, not intending to start drama.

I know that my S-series or 3v *laminated* Manix isn't going to happen, so this is a request for more 440c, 154cm, D2 (laminated), and BG-42, or extending CTS-BD1 to the paramilitary. Nothing with over 1% vanadium.
Nate

Re: more high-chromium steels please

Post by Nate »

Do XHP or B70P do anything for you?
:spyder:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Para2 sprint in BD1? Doesn't sound like a bad idea.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Para2 sprint in BD1? Doesn't sound like a bad idea.
In frn. ;)
h8speech

Post by h8speech »

Why do you want high-chromium?

Do you like 20CV/204p/M390?

Do you like corrosion-proof nitrogen steels like H1 and LC200N?
h8speech

Post by h8speech »

Surfingringo wrote: In frn. ;)

By the way. Is your name SURFIN GRINGO, or SURFING RINGO? I'm not sure whether you're emphasising your identification as a white guy, or your identification as a Beatle.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

By the way. Is your name SURFIN GRINGO, or SURFING RINGO? I'm not sure whether you're emphasising your identification as a white guy, or your identification as a Beatle
I think he is a surfing gringo. As in a gringo that likes to surf?

I am wondering about the "S-series " . Do you mean the shock series as in S1, S7, etc.?

The vanadium steels were / are generally thought of as upgrades to the chromium stainless steels like 440C. That doesn't mean anyone should like them better though. 440C is about the only steel I don't care for but I like the rest. BG42 is still a favorite. Nostalgic I suppose rather than me thinking it is better in some way.

I find this request interesting. I would really like a 3V manix and it doesn't need lamination for me.

joe
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

h8speech wrote:
Surfingringo wrote: In frn. ;)

By the way. Is your name SURFIN GRINGO, or SURFING RINGO? I'm not sure whether you're emphasising your identification as a white guy, or your identification as a Beatle.
It's surfing gringo. I grew up in the US but have lived for many years in Central America. And of course, I surf. My real name is Lance. Pleased to meet you sir. Welcome to the forum. :)
bearfacedkiller

There seems to be interest on the forums in aeb-l, 13c26 and 14c28n. Is there any interest in any them?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
qazy

Post by qazy »

If AEB-L is heat treated by Devin Thomas, Im intrested.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Could someone please tell me what type of steel that CTS-BD30P is? Is it similar to CTS-BD1? I have seen it posted before but I haven't really seen any knives with it. Is it a failed steel? Thanks!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

52100 is high on my list of steels to get because it is held in such high regard. Devin Thomas holds it in high regard, but holds AEB-L in even higher regard. In his FAQ, Thomas says:

"Roman Landes and John Verhoeven have both done different tests with AEB-L. In CATRA testing Dr. Verhoeven found AEB-L to outcut 52100, 1086, and Wootz damascus. He also found AEB-L to be able to take a smaller edge radius than 52100 in controlled sharpening tests. Roman Landes found AEB-L to have greater edge stability, toughness, and wear resistance than 52100. Edge stability is a property that describes a steel's ability to hold a finely sharpened edge. 52100 is one of the most well respected carbon steels, and is well known for its small carbides, high toughness, and high edge stability, so it's impressive that AEB-L was able to beat it in these categories, while also having greater wear resistance and being a stainless steel. Many users have reported that AEB-L sharpens as easily as any other carbon steel they have used."

So, yeah, I'd be all over AEB-L and its ilk in, say, a Shaman sprint.

The highness of the Shaman's saber grind would not ruin the steel's serious potential for slicing, I think. And I trust Spyderco to meet AEB-L's heat-treat challenge.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearfacedkiller

jdw wrote:Could someone please tell me what type of steel that CTS-BD30P is? Is it similar to CTS-BD1? I have seen it posted before but I haven't really seen any knives with it. Is it a failed steel? Thanks!
No, BD1 is carpenters modern take on GIN-1, an older Japanese steel. Spyderco and Carpenter worked on it together. It is a powdered steel which is why it is an improvement on GIN1.

BD30P is just Carpenters name for S30V. They are the same recipe made by different foundries.

13c26 is Sandviks version of aeb-l. Again, same recipe by different foundries.

14c28n is an "upgraded" version of 13c26 that Kershaw and Sandvik came up with together.
-Darby
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I agree! :cool:

More ZDP! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
h8speech

Post by h8speech »

Surfingringo wrote: It's surfing gringo. I grew up in the US but have lived for many years in Central America. And of course, I surf. My real name is Lance. Pleased to meet you sir. Welcome to the forum. :)

Thank you! Pleased to meet you too, Lance. I live in Sydney, and surf too. My name's Will.
bearfacedkiller wrote:There seems to be interest on the forums in aeb-l, 13c26 and 14c28n. Is there any interest in any them?
I'm quite interested in AEB-L. It's got the reputation of being able to achieve ridiculous levels of sharpness. Let's be honest - we don't use all our knives hard. Some of our knives are just for impressing people. I'd love to see an AEB-L Spyderco (preferably something intended for kitchen use etc) at a low angle (though I can regrind if necessary). It gets that "holy sh*t" level of sharpness, and it doesn't really need to hold it forever. I like sharpening. Most of you guys do too.
me2

Post by me2 »

Is bd1 powder steel? I didn't think it was. I really like it. It's very similar to GIN -1 and 440B and could be within the elemental compositions of both, or very close. I have found it to be similar to S110V in side by side comparisons in edge holding. I would choose it over many steels based on ease of sharpening and cost. I have not tried hard testing for toughness, and my carbon steel knives don't really rust, so that's not an issue for my use and climate.
Koop

Post by Koop »

me2 wrote:Is bd1 powder steel? I didn't think it was. I really like it. It's very similar to GIN -1 and 440B and could be within the elemental compositions of both, or very close. I have found it to be similar to S110V in side by side comparisons in edge holding. I would choose it over many steels based on ease of sharpening and cost. I have not tried hard testing for toughness, and my carbon steel knives don't really rust, so that's not an issue for my use and climate.
I don't think so. From what I've read BD1 is a low alloy martensitic melted stainless steel. I think it's under-rated.
PM2 Camo DLC S30V - Chaparral XHP - Delica 4 VG-10 -Manix 2 LW CTS BD1 - Manix 2 LW KC Exclusive XHP - Tenacious 8Cr13MoV - Dragonfly VG10 - PM3 Sprint Cruwear Light Gray G10 - K08 Santoku
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Surfingringo wrote:
In frn. ;)
YES!!! :D

and once there's an FRN mold it should also be made in FRN/Cruwear and a couple of others.. ;)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Joris Mo wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
In frn. ;)
YES!!! :D

and once there's an FRN mold it should also be made in FRN/Cruwear and a couple of others.. ;)
FRN Cruwear PM2?? I'll have 3 please. ;)
bearfacedkiller

Oops, you are right. It is not a powdered steel. My mistake... It is a US made GIN1.
-Darby