Spydercos are SHARP!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
murphjd25

Spydercos are SHARP!

Post by murphjd25 »

Just in case anyone didn't know by now. Techno got me good today just got 4 stitches and a stuture inside my thumb to tie the tendon back together! Woohoo.
Josh
jmh58

Re: Spydercos are SHARP!

Post by jmh58 »

OOOWWWWWW!! Glad you are ok!!! :) John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Ouch! Prayers and good luck.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ffffuuuuuuuudge :( Dang man, I'm sorry to hear that. I wish you a speedy recovery sir.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Heal fast dude. What happened?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

**** Murph, that sucks. Hopefully the tendon wasn't fully severed. Are they hopeful about you getting full mobility back? Any loss of sensation? I have a forefinger that is stil partially numb from a bad cut.
palonej

Post by palonej »

**** Josh!!! I just logged on to post a bloody pic!! Got bit today also!! Brand new Caly 3.5 just showed up and I learned the hard way how NOT to close it!!
Heal fast brother!!!! Its AC season!!!!
Joe
Attachments
IMG_2457.JPG
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Thanks guys! I was in a pinch and trying to strip some 8 gauge wire instead of taking the extra time to walk back to my van and get some wire strippers! Right tool for the right job aye!?

Lance, they said I should be ok I just barely nicked it. I can bend it a little but not much, hopefully I'm better in a few days.

Joe! I know brother it hit 80 today and 85 tomorrow here in Seattle, here it comes! Stay safe out there!
Josh
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Ouch, get wel soon. I got bitten in 2016 by my GB2 pretty severe. Also thumb and needed stitches. I am marked with some brutal scars for ever. Took months to heal properly.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Heal quick Josh!

Glad it sounds like everything will be ok with time. I can relate, got 6 stitches in my thumb last year when I "nicked" myself on a freshly sharpened Battle Mistress. :eek:
:spyder:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sorry Josh! I almost got myself good recently leaning on a knife too hard while cutting some heavy cardboard in the wrong direction (toward my leg). Sometimes things like this happen to remind us to slow down and think.

@ Joe...one of the first things I noticed about the Caly 3.5 is that, unlike most Spydies with the finger choil, the cutting edge will hit your finger if you're not careful when closing.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sully

Post by Sully »

Sharp Guy wrote: @ Joe...one of the first things I noticed about the Caly 3.5 is that, unlike most Spydies with the finger choil, the cutting edge will hit your finger if you're not careful when closing.
I found that to be an issue with the Caly 3.5 as well. Straight out of the box I did it to myself thinking I had the usual finger-choil protection.

Murph, here's to hoping you heal like Wolverine.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

palonej wrote:**** Josh!!! I just logged on to post a bloody pic!! Got bit today also!! Brand new Caly 3.5 just showed up and I learned the hard way how NOT to close it!!
Heal fast brother!!!! Its AC season!!!!
Joe
Those back locks mean business come closing time. My Matriarch gets the respect she deserves in that regard.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Murphjd,

Sorry about that. Hope you heal quickly.

sal
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Thank you Sal! It's definitely not your fault, but I really appreciate how sharp you make these tools, as bad as that might sound.
Josh
palonej

Post by palonej »

Sharp Guy wrote:Sorry Josh! I almost got myself good recently leaning on a knife too hard while cutting some heavy cardboard in the wrong direction (toward my leg). Sometimes things like this happen to remind us to slow down and think.

@ Joe...one of the first things I noticed about the Caly 3.5 is that, unlike most Spydies with the finger choil, the cutting edge will hit your finger if you're not careful when closing.
I found that out about 3 seconds too late SG!!!
WOW that edge is killer KEEEEEN out of the box!! What a fantastic edge Spydie put on this one! Couldn't just leave it, of course, so I gave it a little time on a strop with some green. It now push cuts phone book paper almost silently!!
This one is a born slicer!
Joe
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sorry to hear murph, hope you're all better soon.

I've been pretty lucky so far playing with knives but cut my left thumb a beauty with a hoof knife years ago shoeing a stinking horse that was trying to kill me. It was numb and tingled for a couple of years but came good eventually.

Hang in and good luck! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've had a slip or 2 myself ;)
z1234.jpg
poor lefty
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Sorry to hear that, Josh. Heal well, and be patient.

Don't know the details of your tendon lac, but healing to full strength can be slower than you may expect or be familiar with. Externally may appear healed okay, then at work you lunge to grab a piece of eqt that is falling or tipping over and Bam! there goes that 70% strength thumb tendon. BTDT. STAZT.

To which your hand surgeon will grumble, "Dang, you ruined my good work. Now we'll have to revise and repair. Oh well. " (Cha-ching :(

Heal *from* the steel, sir.

kind regards,
nicked.onaut
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Sharp Guy wrote:Sorry Josh! I almost got myself good recently leaning on a knife too hard while cutting some heavy cardboard in the wrong direction (toward my leg). Sometimes things like this happen to remind us to slow down and think.

my leg would've thanked a lot if I did that

Unfortunately I didn't...
Heal fast, Josh! ;)