Kudos to Spyderco Customer Service

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bryan123

Kudos to Spyderco Customer Service

Post by bryan123 »

I have an interesting story to tell.

I own a Sharpmaker and decided to purchase two ultra fine stones and a spare/ extra stone for the fines and mediums that came with the device. I ordered the total of four stones from a well known and highly regarded authorized Spyderco dealer with whom I had ordered things in the past with no difficulties whatsoever.

The order arrived the day before yesterday. Each of the four sharpening stones was in a clear plastic tube. Three of the four plastic tubes was sealed with a form fitting plastic stopper. The fourth tube had no plastic stopper and the open end was covered with....scotch tape. This didn't sit well with me. I already had one of those stones chip on me (my fault, dropped it in the sink, which is why I wanted to have spares).

No biggie, I thought. I called the authorized dealer requesting the missing form fitting plastic stopper. They said that they could not help me. They said that in order to help me they would have to send out a stone in a plastic tube sealed with tape to another customer. Well, I pointed out that this was exactly what they had sent me. No dice. They told me that I should call the manufacturer for assistance.

Well, the good folks at Spyderco have agreed to send me a complimentary plastic tube stopper.

The identity of the authorized dealer I will keep to myself since I've had good experiences with them in the past. But they should have done better and shouldn't have sent me a stone in a tube without a stopper in the first place.
Last edited by bryan123 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
ZrowsN1s

Re: Kudos to Spyderco Customer Service

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Thats a bummer the dealer had that attitude with you, glad the folks at Spyderco were able to help :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
LDB

Post by LDB »

That's pretty crummy of the dealer. You should give their name so people know they may get great service or not great depending.
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

LDB wrote:That's pretty crummy of the dealer. You should give their name so people know they may get great service or not great depending.
OP here. I was more interested in showing how Spyderco did right as opposed to how the dealer did wrong. Spyderco has earned my respect and loyalty.

I was disappointed with the dealer for first sending me a sharpening stone in a plastic tube sealed with scotch tape and then for not rectifying the situation when I called them on it.
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
LDB

Post by LDB »

Yes, I understood that and I agree the kudos are well deserved. It just seems like a dealer that can do great by you one time and be so unconcerned the next is one people should be aware of so they know who they are dealing with and that the odds could go either way.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The dealer should have sent you the stopper, and got the replacement themselves.

Shabby, but at least their shortcomings has allowed the SFO shine once more. My replacement Military clip only took a few days to the UK, and arrived with screws, loctite & a Spyderco sticker!