Police4 pics and impressions ( pics restored )

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Police4 pics and impressions ( pics restored )

Post by bearfacedkiller »

So I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a Police4 recently and I thought I would share a bunch of pics and some thoughts I have on it after carrying it for a few days now. It was a total surprise when this thing came and unfortunately I do not have any info on when it will actually be released except to say that Sal mentioned in another thread that they were in QC. I have one so I can only assume that these are about to be shipped out to dealers anytime.

I will just get things rolling with pics and some commentary inserted with them. :D I want to say that although this was obviously a gift that it is my goal to give an objective and critical review of this knife. That is seeming to be quite challenging since I have only had it for a few days and I just really, really like it. That said, I will try to point out any things that may not appeal to others. Here goes...

First some comparison pics. I posed it with the Kiwi4 and Yojimbo2 because they are my only other black G10 knives and that is because they have only been offered in black G10 or PPCF which I do not like either. I really do not like black knives myself. See, I started off with a dislike. :) The next two pics will be with the Farid K2 and the Military. These were chosen because the K2 has the same blade length as the Police4 and the Military is just so similar. I then posed it with a few knives with similar blade shapes for some size perspective. I will also note that in the comparison pic of the Police4 and Military in the closed position that the distance from the top of the Spydiehole ramp to the back of the handle is almost the same. Less than 1/8 inch of difference there so they should basically take up the same amount of real estate in that regard. However the Police4 is much thinner towards the bottom of the handle and thinner from the side as you will see in pics further down.

Here are a few pics to show the thickness (or thinness) of the Police4 compared to the Military and the Caly3. It is similar in thickness to the Caly3 but the Caly3 has such proud screws that it is hard to line them up just right for a picture. The handle and the blade on the Police4 are both nice and thin. It carries well and slices like crazy. That said, with a 4.5 inch blade that is 3mm thick and ground nice and thin it is not a pry tool. This thing is made for cutting. Seriously though, if this one can be screw construction then why can't the Caly3/3.5. The similarity is obviously there. Maybe it is that they are from different makers?

Here is a pic of the tips being exposed on the Military and the Police4. If there is one thing that both the Para2 and Military have in common it is a lackluster blade to handle ratio. The Police4 does a great job of fitting a ton of blade into the handle. By my measurements the Police4's handle is only about 1/16 of an inch longer if that yet is fits 1/2 inch more blade into it. The Police4 also has the hump on the tip like it's other Seki brothers. While I do not care for that feature it is an easy fix and with the tip being so acute it makes sense to ship them this way. Some like the tip buried a little deeper for safety reasons and this one isn't but I could not get my finger pad to catch the tip even when pressing it in there pretty hard.

From the pics above you can see that the Military does have most of the other knives beat in regards to the size of the ricasso. Some see a large ricasso as a waste of blade but they are needed for the choil so a balance must be struck there. The choil and ricasso looks much bigger on the Police4 but even with that the cutting edge on the Police4 is still longer than the entire blade on the Military. Keep in mind that this is done with maybe 1/16 inch more handle length so not much is given up to achieve that larger choil.

Here is a top down pic to show the blade grind and some of the handle thickness.

Even though the Police4 has a lot more blade than the Military and even though it has full liners vs the Military's partial liners it doesn't weigh much more. This is probably due to the thinner blade stock and generously skeletonized liners. Getting a good pic of the liners can be a challenge but this picture shows it fairly well.

Here is the Para2, Military, Police4 and K2 on a cheap scale.

That is most of it. The next post will be in hand shots and some extra poser pics. :)
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:22 am, edited 7 times in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Re: Police4 pics and impressions

Here are some poser pics and in hand shots. I find it comfortable in every grip. I omitted reverse grips and other SD grips as that is not really my thing. The finger bumps are subdued which I appreciate. I have very average large hands. I wear a large glove, mediums are usually too small and extra large are usually too big. In gloves sizes I am a 9. Both of the pinch grips were very comfy. I use them quite a bit.

As far as the steel goes I will just say that I have not used this one much but I have used my K2 a ton. K390 is an a11 class steel and so is 10V. My experiences with 10V have been positive so far. I will just quote Phil on this one.
Phil Wilson wrote:I have been using K390 from the start ever since it was introduced by Bohler and I got some small samples to try. A bit of history is that it is the European version of CPM 10V but not the exact chemistry (about 1% less V plus small addition of a few others). That is because the CPM 10V chemistry was protected by patent at the time. If you check the K390 data sheet it claims that the bit less V gives K 390 a little boost in impact toughness. It also can be heat treated at a lower temp. than 10v. So it is pretty much the same as the A11 grade but different in a few small details. It is hard to tell the difference between CPM 10v and BU K390 in the real world in my experience. I like both grades and they are the base line (along with Vanadius 10 and K294) from which I measure wear resistance. The 5 chrome is there to make them all air hardening among other things and does not contribute much to corrosion resistance. It is going to make a killer knife in the new offering and be another classic. Phil
I will also add the fit and finish on my Police4 is great. I am one of the people who can find lock rock in almost any knife. Maybe I just bear paw them all? I can get a little tiny wiggle out of this one but compared to my extensive collection of Seki City Spydies this one is very tight. I am very pleased in that regard. As far as the edge goes is came with perfect bevels. It was not quite shaving clean but rather scrape shaving. Literally 5 passes per side on the doublestuff and it is shaving clean and smooth like a babies bottom. I am not saying that it is that easy to sharpen but rather that it was that close to sharp already. Everything else about the f&f seems good. The lock bar is flush both opened and closed and the action is smooth. I did loosen the pivot just a tad and it is easily flickable now.

What would I change? Well, I don't like black g10 and I don't like the hump on the tip. Also , I think the clip looks small and it is angled funny when installed tip down. The clip in my preferred tip down orientation is quite comfortable in hand so while it looks off to me it feels great. I would have loved to see a Military clip on it but they are curved and do not work with a four way setup. I would have been happy with tip down right hand only with a Military clip but I also think that options make the most sense so four way it is.

It lacks the Police3's swedge and boye dent, both of which I can definitely live without. Also, like the Police3 it lacks a lanyard hole, also a feature I don't need.

In summary, the Military and Police3 had a baby and it is beautiful. :D It is a large knife, likely too large for many. In many ways it has similar dimensions when closed to the Military but in other ways it is much slimmer. When opened it is actually much larger. It has a great handle to blade ratio and it is a high performance slicer in a super steel. It is thin and carries quite well for it's size and weighs roughly the same as a Military.

Feel free to chat discuss and post your own pics as these come into the wild. If anybody has anymore questions or wants anymore pics just ask.

Edit to add: After switching the clip back to tip up for a pic for Radioactive I then put it back to tip down a then put it on perfectly centered on the knife. I am a complete knucklehead and must have had it pushed all the way over when tightening the screws down. :o I can rebuild a motor but apparently putting a clip on was a challenge for me that day. Here is a much more recent pic. :)

Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Man, I have to say, that is one incredibly beautiful and well-designed folder! And I like the personal inscribed note from sal, just like he writes to us on the forum. All excellent. Thank you for posting the pics!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Great review Darby, I don't own a police but this may be my first, I like K390 so this would be a obvious choice to follow up the Urban for me. How does it carry in pocket compared to the Military.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks alot, Darby!! You're a lucky man... :)

Can't wait. Looks like it'll be ranking VERY high in my personal :spyder: charts.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
bearfacedkiller

Dan, it carries similar to the Military but it is thinner and has less handle towards the bottom. I moved the clip to tip down right away so I cannot comment much on tip up carry.

I usually carry in my back pocket but I was at a parade yesterday and moved it to my front pocket and was standing with my hands in my pocket and the reduction in handle size towards the bottom left more room for my paws. Compared to the Military I think most will find it carries better. The clip position is similar.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Great review Darby! Thanks for that write up and pics b I wasn't really thinking about getting this one but now I am. Looks great!
Josh
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Hmm... I think you may have just sold me on a police 4 lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearfacedkiller

I really didn't want it to sound like a sales pitch but I do like it. :)

I should just reiterate, it is a really big knife. That will likely be the biggest issue for many. I have gotten used to the K2 so the P4 doesn't seem that big. :eek:
-Darby
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

Good job on the review, sir. I lost all patience last week (just one of those weeks) and had to do something about it, so I decided "Screw it, I'm buying the Tatanka, and then I can hold off on the Police 4".

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the Police 4 budgeted, lol.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Thanks for taking the time to put this together for everyone. Really great review/comparisons. The K2 was just too much folder for me, but I think I'm going to give this one a try. The slimness and ergos look like something I'll enjoy using.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Thanks for the pics and impressions. This one is on my buy list. I also would have preferred a different color G-10 and a pointy tip.
RLDubbya wrote:Good job on the review, sir. I lost all patience last week (just one of those weeks) and had to do something about it, so I decided "Screw it, I'm buying the Tatanka, and then I can hold off on the Police 4".

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the Police 4 budgeted, lol.
Never owned a Tatanka but it doesn't seem to have much in common with the Police 4.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Darby...cool gift, you're lucky...and deserving, IMHO! :) :spyder: :)

I can't see a lot of difference <in terms of utility> in the upgrade-- besides the steel.

And I know it's too early for you to give your full impressions in the steel's performance, durability, sharpenability, etc.

But, for my usages...I don't consider K390 an upgrade over VG10. However, I reserve the right to change my mind and I'm gonna base it a lot on your updates on performance...so keep em coming brother! :D
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

You haven't sold me, Darby. You've just whetted my appetite. :)

Your in-hand pics remind me that the Police4 is almost as big as the Tatanka, only daintier.

Congrats on the inscription. Will you ever use that one, or will you buy a user?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks for the review, Darby. My experience with K390 has been really good. I love it. And this knife looks just great. I have been saving my beans and will definitely get one. I never desired a Police of any model until this one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Thanks for the kind words everybody. I did this for you guys so I am glad it is helpful and enjoyable.

SEF,
I really like that the inscription is like a forum post. Very fitting. :)

RL,
The Tatanka is actually quite different. I do not have a Tatanka but I have handled one. They are certainly different enough to justify having both. ;)

Paladin,
I am not sure if my overbearing presence on the forum is deserving of anything but I am super grateful. :o :D

Marc,
It has been in my pocket since thurday so I think I am gonna use it. I think Sal would rather I did. That is why he makes them. :D I did consider getting a display for it but decided to just put it to use. I cannot really afford another anyway. So far I might be babying it a little but hopefully I will get over that soon.
-Darby
anycal

Post by anycal »

bearfacedkiller wrote:...I think I am gonna use it. I think Sal would rather I did. That is why he makes them. :D ...
I reckon you are correct. Your review reinforced my desire for this knife. Hope it makes it to shops before my next big annual camping trip.
Peter
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Great comparison pics, but what I really would like to see it the Police 4 next to the full size Calypso.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

That Police 4 looks AMAZING.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

That is a big knife. Thanks for all the comparison shots.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal