About multi-tools...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DAYWALKER

About multi-tools...

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha ALL!

I was checking out some multi-tools the other night...handled the Gerber, the SOG, the Leatherman Wave.

Now, the non-black Gerbers rust like crazy. So that one was out, even though I DID like that replaceable jig saw blade option.
I wasn't sure about SOG's "Gear Driven concept" either...I keep thinking something may get stuck in the gears equating to multi tool damage or "freeze".
Now, the Wave I liked. I carry a PST in my shakedown kit for work, and use it occasionally on my building of prototypes...Also the Leatherman steel doesn't rust like the Gerbers here...

Does anyone have a Wave? How has it stood up? I foresee this one being used HARD, so...any help here as always, will be appreciated!

God Bless!
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
i.v

Post by i.v »

been carrying a wave for the past 3 years now. it's been with me in the army & in camping trips & in all weather conditions (it's very rust resistant).. some may say it has flaws but i'm very very happy with it, it stood some serious abuse & it's a great tool. a great note to it by the way is that it has both a PE blade & a serrated blade that resimbles a spyderco serration pattern.
there's also a new model out which is even cheaper than the first & it has bits for screws - very versitile.
the new charge Ti & Xti are pretty much the same luck the new wave but feature more advanced materials like titanium handles & a 154CM blade (no other tool has that! :cool: )
i'd go for the Ti version personally if i had to get a new one now.
leatherman.com looks really nice & shows all of the new & old tools in great detail.. newgraham has really good prices for them if you decide to buy.
happy shopping :)
Zrexxer

Post by Zrexxer »

DAYWALKER wrote:Now, the non-black Gerbers rust like crazy. So that one was out, even though I DID like that replaceable jig saw blade option.

Does anyone have a Wave? How has it stood up? I foresee this one being used HARD, so...any help here as always, will be appreciated!God Bless!
I've got three Waves, and my experience has been completely opposite. I have a Gerber 400 in the beadblast finish and it's been the most useful multitool I've ever owned, hands down. I've worn it all day in the Texas summer when framing a house so the sheath was soaked completely through, and it's never even hinted at rusting.

The Wave on the other hand is the only Multitool I've ever had that DOES rust. You even look at thing funny and it turns orange. Further, I've got a Wave that's been used hard, and it's so floppy loose I'm going to have to send it back to Leatherman to see if they can tighten it up.

My second favorite as far as belt time is - and yes, I'm serious - the Schrade Tough-Tool. The knife blade is horrible on this one, but hey, that's why there are Spydercos anyway. I really like the features and construction of the rest of the tool though.
i.v

Post by i.v »

rusts like **** & yet you still have 3 waves :rolleyes: ;)

leatherman must have done something right to make you get 3 :p
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

Chad,

I replaced my Leatherman Supertool with a Wave a few years back, I wouldn't say it had some really HARD use, but it has withstood anything I have used it for.

I have recently returned from the Cayman Islands as I was out there just after Hurricane Ivan to help my best friend get his house in some semblance of order. The Wave and a Spydie Delica Stainless SE performed admirably.

In fact, the SE Wave blade and the SE Delica cut more than their fair share including sheet rock and kitchen cupboard carcasses!!Botpieces of kit I left in the islands with my friend as his Gerber multi-plier rusted to "death" and he destroyed the blade of his Spydie Walker Lwt cutting ice and water shield for the roof!!

The Leatherman will always have my vote!

God Bless,

Simon.
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
Zrexxer

Post by Zrexxer »

[quote="i.v"]rusts like **** & yet you still have 3 waves :rolleyes: ]Suffice to say I got them very, very, inexpensively. I have one in the truck, one at work... etc. I gave $11 for the last one I bought. All were like new when acquired. At those prices I couldn't resist, but then I don't need to justify having too many knives here, now do I? ;)

I probably won't buy a 4th though... :rolleyes:
garrett

Post by garrett »

I have owned a leatherman and a gerber, but now I carry a Victorinox Swisstool RS. I loved the wave becuase of its one handed opening blades, but in my humkble opinion, the Swisstool is just a better piece of gear. You should look at those as well before you decide on a wave.

Garrett
I actually have all the Spydercos I want. Isn't that wierd? On second though, no I don't...
CKE

Post by CKE »

I have an old Gerber...the one when the first came out with the locking tools. It has handled everything I have thrown at it and never rusted and it has been on every fishing trip for the last 6 years or so. Now my buddy has a Wave..actually has had a few( he is forgetfull and lost two now I think) and they have never rusted and he ABUSES his stuff. He traps, fishes, hunts and well just about anything you can think of...he has done it to the WAVE. He actually just picked up the Charge TI to see if he likes it better than the WAVE. I would say either would serve you well. Take care and let us know what you decide to get :) :) :)
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
i.v

Post by i.v »

I don't need to justify having too many knives here, now do I?

point taken :D
JLannoo

Post by JLannoo »

I have a Wave. I dig it. One great thing leatherman has is its...what is it? 25 year warranty. Thats just outstanding. So if it rusts or breaks just send it in :)

I got my wave off a co-worker. It was beat to ****. Super loose,scratched, Blades dull,and a bit rusty. I commented to him on it and He said He found it in a parking lot. He asked if I wanted to buy it because it was too heavy for him. ( :confused: ) I asked him how much. $10 :D was his reply. So I packed it up and sent it to Leatherman. 12 days later I got back what appears to be a brand new one. :D Good deal eh?
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Mahalo my :spyder: family!

Zrexxer, I think it's the climate here in Hawaii...I know of a guy in Texas and his CRKT bead blasted stuff does not have a hint of rust, yet if I just bring out my Pesh Kabz from it's box, it's starts changing color! LOL! I had that same effect with my Gerbers...something with the finish...My leatherman does not rust as fast, but it does spot here and there...

Well, looks like it may be the Wave for me. Mahalo i.v. for the lead, but NGK are OOS! ****! LOL! Ahhh, I may as well stick to the Leatherman family...I got the Micra, PST...so next might be the Wave!

Hey Zrexxer, if ya wanna get rid of one of the three ya got, lemme know...OBTW, did a Honda CBR9 just zoom by?! LOL! Just kidding! :D

Mahalo for the input all of you, and God bless!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
jbake

Post by jbake »

Howdy,

I have a Gerber and a Leatherman Micra.

The gerber is OK, but it seemed to get really "loose" after a year of light to medium usage.

The micra is cool, but the scissors seemed to be REALLY soft.

I'm not carrying either right now.

I'm thinking about getting a SOG because one of my friends told me that one of their models has a really good set of wire cutters. I actually use those on the job from time to time.

Just one note - hope I'm not opening up a can of worms - but Leatherman has taken a little heat lately because they have formally backed one of the presidential candidates.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha my slicker than snail snot brother!

Yeah, I twisted my Gerber once and it was never the same...

Now, about the SOG and their Gear Driven thing...has your friend had anything get stuck in the gears? I dunno if that's a big deal, but it does concern me a bit...

Anyway, be safe and don't be "flashin' and bashin" too much! ;)

God bless you bro!

i.v

Post by i.v »

a friend of mine has a sog, i played with it quite a lot & it's pretty much an awesome tool, nothing gets stuck in the gears (they work really well by the way), & the wire cutters are superb (though if you asked me, the gerber legend has the best wire cutters) & the whole tool is very strong.. i have only two problems with it.
1. it's big & very very heavy, it's quite a load on any belt
2. tool access is a b**ch! you have to move so many parts the job will be done by someone else by the time you get it out :)

another point, no biggie, but sog praise the one handed openning of the tool, true, it does open one handed but just the pliers & it flicks the **** out of your hand when do so.
also, when closed, the gears sick out, this has really worn out my friend's sheath.
again, these are small bugs that just bother me, i still think it's pretty much the toughest tool on the market.
talonturbo

Post by talonturbo »

I had an original (PST?) and a Supertool for many years and now carry a Micra with the keys. All three have been the same, meaning dependable but nothing special. I think that that's the thing with Leatheman. You know what you're getting.

If I wanted to buy a multitool now (I don't) I would research all companies' models. Maybe one in particular will stand out to each individual. Anyway, I first bought multitools for hockey. I was only fourteen or so, and this really-smart-but-also-funny guy on my team, after hearing about the warranty, says: "I'll bet you'll be pissed if it breaks on the twenty-sixth year, eh?" I admit he had me. I laughed so hard.

Anyway, point is, Leathemans are mediocre but dependible tools. And quit talking about blades because we don't need them, we all have Spydercos.

BTW, I can't say enough about the Para-Military, thanks again Chris.
JD Spydo

Victorinox "Swiss Tool"

Post by JD Spydo »

garrett wrote:I have owned a leatherman and a gerber, but now I carry a Victorinox Swisstool RS. I loved the wave becuase of its one handed opening blades, but in my humkble opinion, the Swisstool is just a better piece of gear. You should look at those as well before you decide on a wave.

Garrett
Hello and a big 10-4 on that Victorinox "Swiss Tool" there Garrett. I absolute love my Spyderench but I find that my Swiss Tool really fills a void. I can't see how they sell that Swiss Tool as cheap as they do for all that is in it. If I was to be in a survival situation I would want both the Spyderench & Swiss Tool. Tally up one more for the SWiss Tool. :)
cdf

Post by cdf »

Daywalker , I have owed just about every multitool out there . Gerbers suck !
tHE WAVE IS PREETY GOOD , the charge Ti is REALLY GOOD , the swissyool is great ! That said you cant one hand it, The other route is the SAK /needle nose Vice grip combo .
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Mahalo guys!

LOL, cdf...Gerbers suck?! LOL! That's why I am looking into the Wave. The Charge is a bit outta my range price-wise...although I could use the Ti here in Hawaii. Zero handle maintenance! ;) BTW, how is the liner lock on the Wave? I mean, I don't intend on hard using the blades, (My :spyder: 's are used for that!) but I was just wondering...

God bless all!

cdf

Post by cdf »

Chad the liner engages well , both my wave and Charge Ti. pass a moderate spine whack test . It should be fine for lite-medium duty , the 154 is nice to have . The charge is very comfortable in the hand . If you visit candal power forums you can find sourses that have them for as low as 77-80.00 U.S. . I have no kick against the wave , i beat the cr## out of one for several years. The Charge is nicer . The pouch however sucks . No matter I just use my old Wave pouch ( made by Bianchi of holster fame ) . The pocket clip is nice . My two copper coins is that the Swiss Tool is a tool box or glove compartment carry . The Charg/Wave are pocke-belt pouch carry . In your line of work it would be handy for searches , riots , perimiter security , and in your gear bag . I'd put it in a mag pouch and throw it on your duty belt

Chris
voxnaes

Post by voxnaes »

Get the Ti Charge!! I just got Moon´s and love it! :D
Vox.