One spydie...just ONE.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ero2

Re: One spydie...just ONE.

Post by ero2 »

The GB2 is actually really really catching my eye. A SMIDGE heavier than I wanted, but worried about one other thing...the clip/scales. I just realized, wearing dress pants 90% of the time, and that I clip it in my pocket, think the scales or clip will tear apart the pants?

Also, anything I need to know about the blade and upkeep?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The blade on the GB2 is M4 which is non-stainless so more care must be taken to clean and lube the blade. I use Balistol, but vasoline or mineral oil can be used as well if you want a non toxic lube/protectant.
I never found the scales to be rough or harsh in anyway. Certainly less aggressive vs. the scales on the Native series.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ero2 wrote:The GB2 is actually really really catching my eye. A SMIDGE heavier than I wanted, but worried about one other thing...the clip/scales. I just realized, wearing dress pants 90% of the time, and that I clip it in my pocket, think the scales or clip will tear apart the pants?

Also, anything I need to know about the blade and upkeep?
The texturing on the CF laminate scales is very subtle compared to peel-ply G10 or FRN/FRCP with bi-directional texturing. I don't carry my GBs very often and I'm rarely in dress pants these days so I really can't say but I don't think you'll need to worry about your pockets.

As far as maintaining M4. A quick wipe down with light oil every once in awhile and you should be fine. Like I said, I don't carry my GBs much but I have used one of them around the house some and, aside from a couple light scratches, the blade still looks like new. I also have a Mantra that I carry and use quite a lot and that looks like new as well. I don't use any of these to cut food though so your experience may be different. If you intend to use the knife for food get yourself a bottle of mineral oil and use that.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ero2

Post by ero2 »

Okay, so not a "do it once a day" wipe down, maybe once a month or less if I use it a decent amount?

Despite it's nicer look, it can hold it to pretty decent use? Camping, potential trail/hiking needs, garden, around the house, boxes, etc? I'm kinda wary about getting one that's so "purty" that I won't use it lol.

Narrowed down to:

GB2

Another Native 5

Manix 2 LW

Also, found a used Slyz Bowie for 200 I'm not sure I can NOT buy too...LOL.

You guys all have such great insight I just need perhaps a transformer knife where it's 5 that turn into THE ONE perfect knife, lol.

Post by 017 »

Last edited by 017 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Ero2, if you have the funds available for a Slysz Bowie, I would recommend that knife --- above all others actually, in any price range. It is my favorite Spydie by far. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Ero2, if you have the funds available for a Slysz Bowie, I would recommend that knife --- above all others actually, in any price range. It is my favorite Spydie by far. :)
Agreed, you don't need any other spydies haha jk but no seriously get a Slysz Bowie!!
Josh
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Whitetail addict wrote:Manix lw s110v would be my choice.
This.

If there can be only one, then this is the one.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

ero2 wrote:Okay, so not a "do it once a day" wipe down, maybe once a month or less if I use it a decent amount?

Despite it's nicer look, it can hold it to pretty decent use? Camping, potential trail/hiking needs, garden, around the house, boxes, etc? I'm kinda wary about getting one that's so "purty" that I won't use it lol.

Narrowed down to:

GB2

Another Native 5

Manix 2 LW

Also, found a used Slyz Bowie for 200 I'm not sure I can NOT buy too...LOL.

You guys all have such great insight I just need perhaps a transformer knife where it's 5 that turn into THE ONE perfect knife, lol.
Well, the M2LW is the most ergonomic folding knife I've found yet. It is truly wonderful in many different grips. If I could only have one folder for a general all-purpose knife, I'd probably give up my beloved Delicas and stick with a M2LW.

Keep in mind it will be a bit broad in the pocket. I don't mind it but it's worth being aware of. The use part gets tricky for folks to answer because for some of us, people expect folders to do things we would never use them for. For just general purposes of the types of activities you describe, then yeah, but not splitting wood and things like that. That's for proper tools.
ero2

Post by ero2 »

Okay, getting a Manix 2, and going to see if I can fit the Slysz too lol.

Is the 110v or maxamet worth the cost difference? I prefer a black or stonewashed blade, and black scales...and the 110v is standard and blue scales. With that said, want to get the best one. Thanks for all the insight and advice friends!

Like the blade shape
Like the lock
Like that it isn't g10 and won't ruin my dress/suit pant
Like the clip

Just seems to fit.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

this_is_nascar wrote:Chaparral, any version, hands down.
If I lived somewhere that I couldn't legally carry a Manix, the Chaparral would be my choice.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Whitetail addict wrote:Manix lw s110v would be my choice.
Yes! Or just one of the PM2's in S30V. The Manix 2 LW is a better EDC choice.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

ero2 wrote:Okay, getting a Manix 2, and going to see if I can fit the Slysz too lol.

Is the 110v or maxamet worth the cost difference? I prefer a black or stonewashed blade, and black scales...and the 110v is standard and blue scales. With that said, want to get the best one. Thanks for all the insight and advice friends!

Like the blade shape
Like the lock
Like the clip

Just seems to fit.
Just saw this - I think you will be happy.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

ero2 wrote:Okay, getting a Manix 2, and going to see if I can fit the Slysz too lol.

Like the blade shape
Like the lock
Like the clip

Just seems to fit.
Well this is strictly my lowly opinion, and a LOT of folks will think I'm nuts, but my take? If the average knife user didn't go on the internet they'd never know they needed super steels. I truly believe that for the vast majority of folks, even steels like 8Cr13Mov and AUS-8 are just fine. Granted, they need some upkeep but they are easy to maintain and pretty much anyone can sharpen them.

I like checking out different steels and for sure, steels have very specific benefits and if you are a user looking for those benefits then we are living in the golden age of knife making but if you just want a good all-around user knife and you're not real into sharpening and such then steels like BD1 and VG10 are perfectly acceptable.

My M2LW is in BD1 and my experience is it sharpens up really nicely and easily. It also holds a workable edge very well. But, it does tend to dent/roll when hitting hard mediums. I got mad at the steel when I first started using it but I've come to understand it better and I no longer view it as some inferior or budget steel. It's just different than say S110V. The fact that it does dent/roll means it is, in a way, saving the blade by not chipping. I reckon this is what folks call toughness. But I can get that blade plenty sharp fairly easily.

Knife Works has an exclusive model with CTS-XHP that a lot of folks swear by but it has brown scales so you may not like it. But my whole point is, consider all of what you want from the knife and how you will approach, use, and maintain it. A standard BD1 blade isn't a bad thing depending on those factors.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Ero,

Take a good look at the Manix 2 back lock. This is a really superb knife and is not too big, but big enough to handle anything. It is not too small, but small enough to do daily tasks such as open the mail. It is better than the PM2 for me (and many others).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Koop

Post by Koop »

Eli Chaps wrote:
ero2 wrote:
Knife Works has an exclusive model with CTS-XHP that a lot of folks swear by but it has brown scales so you may not like it. But my whole point is, consider all of what you want from the knife and how you will approach, use, and maintain it. A standard BD1 blade isn't a bad thing depending on those factors.

I tend to agree with your view on the qualities of steel - we have many great options available. I think you meant to say Knife Center - I just ordered the CTS XHP Manix 2LW from them - what a bargain at ~$90. I already have a Manix 2LW in BD1 and it fits my hand perfectly. I wear an XL glove size. Love this folder!
PM2 Camo DLC S30V - Chaparral XHP - Delica 4 VG-10 -Manix 2 LW CTS BD1 - Manix 2 LW KC Exclusive XHP - Tenacious 8Cr13MoV - Dragonfly VG10 - PM3 Sprint Cruwear Light Gray G10 - K08 Santoku
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Koop wrote:
Eli Chaps wrote:
ero2 wrote:

I tend to agree with your view on the qualities of steel - we have many great options available. I think you meant to say Knife Center - I just ordered the CTS XHP Manix 2LW from them - what a bargain at ~$90. I already have a Manix 2LW in BD1 and it fits my hand perfectly. I wear an XL glove size. Love this folder!

I did mean Knife Center. Thanks for correcting me!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

If I was constricted to just ONE Spyderco model and couldn't have a companion folder like I do presently there is one model that I would take in an instant. I'm speaking of the C-44 Dyad model which is Spyderco's premier double bladed model with one full sized plain edged blade and one full sized Spyderedged blade. It is truly the best of both Spyder-Worlds IMO.

Now there is also a smaller version of this great model known as the Dyad Jr. C-39 model. But if I had to choose just ONE Spyder it would be the C-44 Dyad. I've actually EDCed one for over a year at one point and it was a dream to work with. The Sheepsfoot, Spyderedged blade on the Dyad is a very aggressive cutter and the clip point, plain edged blade is great as well.

That would be my sole pick of just ONE Spyderco model.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Doc Dan wrote:Ero,

Take a good look at the Manix 2 back lock. This is a really superb knife and is not too big, but big enough to handle anything. It is not too small, but small enough to do daily tasks such as open the mail. It is better than the PM2 for me (and many others).
If there is a knife shop or show where you can actually see one in person that would be the way to go. I think the backlock is a step back for the Manix but you may think otherwise if you try one. Just a thought.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I'll throw this out; National Knives still has Sprint Run Stretch knives in HAP 40 with burnt orange handles. Just another thought.