Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Post by bh49 »

it will be epic
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

sal wrote:3D CF.

sal
I take it from the Mid Year supplemental that this has been changed to 3D matte finished G-10?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Shaman looks like a winner in the supplemental. I'm sure I'll get one, but I'd rather it was closer to Military size (4") than Paramilitary 2 size (3.5"). What does this mean for the Native Chief though? Maybe a "lets see how the Shaman does first" scenario.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Shaman, at last. Handsome. Now on my radar.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I am a little let down at the size, I too was hoping for more along the lines of a 3.5-3.75 inch blade but 3 inches of edge puts it squarely in competition with the Manix 2 which is gonna make things interesting for me, especially if we someday get to see the same sprint options as the Manix 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Hopefully this means the Native Chief is closer than ever. I have also seen some lil' native discussions here. I'd be much more interested in a 4" model then those smaller knives, but it looks like things are finally coming together with the unveiling of the Shaman. I wonder how many from the original discussion groups many many years ago are still active here!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

With the Shaman's imminence, maybe we can get back to the subject at hand, especially as the Shaman seems smaller than some would like...

sal

Post by sal »

The Native "Chief" has been on hold for some 15 - 20 years. I imagine we can get it to queue if there is demand. I'll watch the thread.

The Shaman is designed to be 3.5" blade length which is legal in more places that the Chief's 4.0" blade. Eric also has a smaller Native in-the-works.

sal
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

The Chief sounds great! A 4.0" blade with a comp lock would be the bees knees...
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

sal wrote:The Native "Chief" has been on hold for some 15 - 20 years. I imagine we can get it to queue if there is demand. I'll watch the thread.

The Shaman is designed to be 3.5" blade length which is legal in more places that the Chief's 4.0" blade. Eric also has a smaller Native in-the-works.

sal
As the OP, I thank you for chiming in, Sal.

I really hadn't considered that legality might weigh on production decisions.

Would a flash batch be a way to judge interest without committing too much capital to the Chief's release?

Whatever, I'll let the Police4 scratch my Chief and Military itches for a while. What a year you're giving us!

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ahh I was confused, I thought the "chief" had been renamed the "shaman". Now I understand we are talking about different knives.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Yeah, ain't it grand? :)

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Wrdwrght,

I would rather just tool up for regular production, assuming there's enough demand. While legality is always a question, it doesn't stop us from making larger knives.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd still be interested in an extra large 3D CF Naive.

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

sal wrote:Hi Wrdwrght,

I would rather just tool up for regular production, assuming there's enough demand. While legality is always a question, it doesn't stop us from making larger knives.

sal
Sal, to gauge interest, would you consider allowing someone to put together some photos of the current Chief proto, say, Wouter, at the next Amsterdam meeting?

The only image of the Chief I'm aware of (//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 79#p490847) is from 2009...

I think people here would be reluctant to say they're in without having a fair idea what they're in for.

Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Thank you for posting that pic link of the "Chief", it is awesome and right up my alley!!! Kinda reminds me of the Renegade in an old school Golden way!! :D
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I'm really hoping this one goes into production at some point. Maybe after the Shaman is released, and folks get a taste for larger Natives, there will be enough demand.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Lords and Ladies,

So, this happened in the Spyderco Shaman News and Gossip Thread:

"Eric and I are considering the Native Chief as well. development is mostly done, should be easy to slide into queue.

sal"

Now I am wondering, what does the Chief look like after all these years? Does it still resemble the prototype from way back in 1999? Is it a large Native 5, or is it a large Shaman? Or is it another animal altogether?

Let the rampant speculation begin.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

KingRat wrote:Lords and Ladies,

So, this happened in the Spyderco Shaman News and Gossip Thread:

"Eric and I are considering the Native Chief as well. development is mostly done, should be easy to slide into queue.

sal"

Now I am wondering, what does the Chief look like after all these years? Does it still resemble the prototype from way back in 1999? Is it a large Native 5, or is it a large Shaman? Or is it another animal altogether?

Let the rampant speculation begin.
I'm sure they tweaked the design a little bit. Most of the Golden produced models have a bushing now. This wasn't common when the knife was designed. I'm hoping it comes out. I like the idea of the shaman but if the chief is right behind I would rather wait for it.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Very interested in the Chief, but I'm uncertain about buying it, because the Native's ergos fit me real well and since the Chief's larger, it might not fit me so well. I'll probably buy one if the ergos are similar enough to the Native and if they make a plainedge DLC-coated FRN version.