Maxamet long term edge retention testing. (X-post from other forum)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Maxamet long term edge retention testing. (X-post from other forum)

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Hey guys, been doing some testing over the past few months on maxamet and I figured instead of dropping little tidbits in various threads, I'd compile what I have so far and add more results from today. Below, you will see pertinent posts from other threads which I've added to this thread.

The last quoted post in this original post will get you up to being current with this OP. The next post in this thread will outline the testing I did today.

Needless to say, maxamet is absolutely blowing my mind in regards to edge retention. It just keeps cutting, and cutting, and cutting and after a certain point it just doesn't seem to dull any further. I have done almost 4000 inches of cardboard and it still slices phone book paper.

To put it in perspective, steels like M4 last about 1000 inches and no longer slice phone book paper. S110v goes about 1300.... Maxamet has gone 3,808 inches and still slices PB paper. It's insane.

AwayFromMySpydieHole, post: 17161370, member: 470025 wrote:I have finally "dulled" my maxamet manix a bit. Just a bit. I went out sunday morning and cut up all the cardboard I had, which was a LOT thanks to a newborn. We've been getting so many packages, and they all seem to be in very thick and sturdy cardboard.

Anyway, I spent about 30 minutes cutting. I was literally tired by the end of it. Keep in mind, this is in addition to other long cutting sessions and about 2 months of general use. No sharpening, just stropping on .5 micron diamond.

The knife no longer shaves arm hair. That part of the edge is gone. However, there is absolutely zero edge blunting and I can't see any shiny spots on the edge (from micro blunting, denting, etc). It no longer shaves, but it will absolutely still zip through printer paper with ease. And I mean with ease, every cut. It still slices amazingly well and has TONS of aggression left.

So, all in all this is the longest edge holding steel I've ever used, by far. It still isn't dull, I think it's just now settling into a working edge. I really have no clue how long it would take to get it completely dull, as in blunt with the edge reflecting light. Months. Maybe 6? Who knows. I intend to sharpen it this weekend and start fresh, with zero edge maintenance - just plenty of use. I want to see how far it will go with no maintenance, not even stropping. I'll chime in again whenever it reaches a dulling benchmark.

AwayFromMySpydieHole, post: 17169046, member: 470025 wrote:Well, sharpened it just now. Used the wicked edge because I wanted to true up the bevels a little. They weren't bad, but they came from the factory a bit off. I could have free handed it, but for the first sharpening I wanted to make sure the bevel was set perfectly straight and true.

This stuff is just strange. Judging by how long it holds an edge you'd think it would be difficult to sharpen, but it isn't. You can tell it's hard when it hits the stones, but as far as removing material it's really not bad at all. I had no issues with chipping at all. The edge is just as clean as any other steel would be.

Also, oddly it takes a polish extremely well. I even skipped the high grit ceramics on the wicked edge and went straight to strops. It polished up very, very well. I actually wasn't even going for a polish. I wanted to keep it a little more aggressive......

Which leads me to the next point. Even when stropped down to .5 micron diamond paste the edge is VERY aggressive. It bites into your skin like crazy but is still very refined. I was able to whittle up the length of a hair 5 times before it got too thin to whittle. That's just as fine of an edge as I get on M4.

So, now the real testing starts. After that last bit of stropping I did nothing else is touching this edge. I'm just going to cut without touching it up to see how long it lasts. I'll report back ever so often.

ETA: forgot to add, I sharpened at exactly 16dps. Was hoping that it would be a good compromise between slicing ability and edge cross section. Wanted to avoid thinning out the apex so much that it would no longer support the carbides.

Here's a pic of the edge. On my phone so can't embed yet, sorry.

https://imgur.com/a/dIG5d

AwayFromMySpydieHole, post: 17173941, member: 470025 wrote:Cutting so far:

-Broke down small USPS box after a package came in.
- Shredded" a stack of printer paper 4 sheets deep. About 20 cuts into that stack. Didn't need to be shredded, just a habit.
-Cut off excess to a "sit means sit" electric dog collar. The collar material was VERY tough. Some sort of fiber loaded rubber.

After all this, it no longer whittles hair, but that's to be expected. Other than that change, I can't tell a difference. Still extremely aggressive and still slicing phone book paper like it's not even there.

Will report back in a week or so with the rest of the cutting I've done and the edge condition. There will be no touch ups at all.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Re: Maxamet long term edge retention testing. (X-post from other forum)

^^^^^^^^^^^ The cutting outlined in that last post above was pretty current with edge condition up to the point that I did this test today. I think I broke down one more box before doing this test, but for all intents and purposes the edge was in the same condition that it was when that post was made. Still no touch ups, no stropping, nothing.

Today, as in about 20 minutes ago, I finished my next test. I intended to cut as much carboard as I could until the edge dulled. I stopped after about 35 minutes. All the cardboard was the thick stuff that amazon packages ship in. Nice, tough boxes. I cut freely, on all biases and in irregular patterns to make it as real world as it could be. I made a total of 272 cuts, I then measured the longest piece and the shortest piece, and averaged them together. That leaves me with 3,808 inches of cardboard cut.

In reality, it is probably more than that. I made way, way many more long cuts than short little cuts. Let's just call it 3,800 inches to be conservative though. That is way, way, way beyond anything else I've tested. Most 'super" steels fall off (as in feel dull to the touch, won't slice PB paper and barely slices printer paper) around 1000-1500 inches.

Maxamet went 3,800 inches and still slices PB paper, still feels aggressive to the touch, and blazes through printer paper. Keep in mind, this edge wasn't fresh off the stones when I started this test.

Below are some pics of the pile. The pic doesn't do it justice, it's piled about 2 feet high and is a good 3 feet across. It's a LOT of cardboard. I also added a quick video showing the edge sharpness after this test.

I'm not going to touch the edge until it's dull, however long that takes. I'll keep using, and keep testing this knife without any maintenance at all. I will report back in this thread as it progresses. Any questions, feel free to ask!
Last edited by AwayFromMySpydieHole on Sun May 28, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Keep the updates coming!

Which model are you using?
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Scottie3000 wrote:Keep the updates coming!

Will do! Pics/video of the testing and edge condition are inbound.

The knife is the lightweight manix. :)
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

Did you use the factory edge at all or did you go to 16 dps before first use? If you did use the factory edge, was it noticeably easier to cut after going to 16 dps?
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Thanks for the testing AFMSH. It's amazing how long this stuff stays sharp. I enjoy my Maxamet N5 very much and can't wait for the PM2 and Para 3.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Scottie3000 wrote:Keep the updates coming!

Will do! Pics/video of the testing and edge condition are inbound.

The knife is the lightweight manix. :)
Crazy question, are you jdavis882? You have a very similar writing style. I always liked jdavis882's videos and reports but he seems to have vanished. Any way if not, it was meant as a compliment
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I cut 4,000 Linear FT of cardboard with the Maxamet Mule Team and it was slicing newspaper, stopped slicing phone book paper between 3,500 FT and 4,000 FT.

That's 48,000 inches..... ;)

The S110V Military did 6,000 Linear FT of cardboard and was still slicing phone book paper.

That's 72,000 inches. ;)

All at 15 DPS and 400 grit.

Mule Team: http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spyd ... t.1417992/

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=71455

S110V Military:

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=71555

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spyd ... w.1420799/
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Ankerson wrote:I cut 4,000 Linear FT of cardboard with the Maxamet Mule Team and it was slicing newspaper, stopped slicing phone book paper between 3,500 FT and 4,000 FT.

The S110V Military did 6,000 Linear FT of cardboard and was still slicing phone book paper.

That's 72,000 inches. ;)

S110V Military:

how do you find edge stability and toughness in Maxamet? As of this moment....paper, cardboard, the occasional zip tie is what my s30v para 2 sees and handles it all with ease. We are moving to Tennessee soon(close to Smoky mountain knife works) and I plan to become much more out doors oriented..... how will maxamet handle as a hiking folder?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Popsickle wrote:
Ankerson wrote:I cut 4,000 Linear FT of cardboard with the Maxamet Mule Team and it was slicing newspaper, stopped slicing phone book paper between 3,500 FT and 4,000 FT.

That's 72,000 inches. ;)

S110V Military:

how do you find edge stability and toughness in Maxamet? As of this moment....paper, cardboard, the occasional zip tie is what my s30v para 2 sees and handles it all with ease. We are moving to Tennessee soon(close to Smoky mountain knife works) and I plan to become much more out doors oriented..... how will maxamet handle as a hiking folder?

Should work fine for things one would use a folder for.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Ankerson wrote:
Popsickle wrote:

That's 72,000 inches. ;)

S110V Military:

Should work fine for things one would use a folder for.
Sounds great thanks!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

zmaxcan.jpg
zmaxedge2.png
zmaxe2.jpg
I managed a small chip stabbing a very thick aluminum can.
The stuff seemed impervious when I first started using it, so I decided to see how far I could go. Didn't leave a mark on the blade other than the small chip, no scratches on the bevel. (I thought it scratched it at first, but it was just metal from the can rubbing off on the blade, everything wiped off with a microfiber towel)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
zmaxcan.jpg
zmaxedge2.png
zmaxe2.jpg
I managed a small chip stabbing a very thick aluminum can.
The stuff seemed impervious when I first started using it, so I decided to see how far I could go. Didn't leave a mark on the blade other than the small chip, no scratches on the bevel. (I thought it scratched it at first, but it was just metal from the can rubbing off on the blade, everything wiped off with a microfiber towel)
admittedly I've done this with my s30v para 2 and seen a similar result. glad to see it survived mostly unscathed lol.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Thanks for taking the time to conduct your test and share the results here. And thanks, Ankerson, too.

So many variables with polished versus slightly less polished appearing to make a huge difference.