Spyderco Shaman News and Gossip Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyder_happy

Re: Spyderco Shaman News and Gossip Thread

Post by spyder_happy »

DougC-3 wrote:Does anybody know for sure if will be FRN? Even if so, it might follow the usual route of coming out in G-10 first, before the FRN mold is completed.
spyder_happy wrote:If this model does come with a wire clip and comp lock it may just be my perfect knife. the much adored PM2 was a catch and release for me... loved the lock, but really wanted a leaf shaped blade
I have similar feelings about the wire clip and PM2 (but still have some PM2's). By the way some dealers still have a few Superleafs if you found that one appealing (compression lock & wire clip).
pm'd!
The list goes on...
DF2: salt se, hap 40, vg-10
Delica 4: ffg vg-10, saber CE VG-10
Endura 4: Hap 40, Super Blue, VG-10
Native 5: S35vn/g10, S110v
Manix Lwt: XHP
Pac salt, Tasman, PM2 S30v, Domino XHP,
Stretch frn ZDP-189
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote:I held the Shaman at BLADE last year. I remember I was very impressed with how well the handle fit my hand and I knew it was definitely something I would buy. I'd like to see it offered in S35VN or S30V. Of course I'd be very pleased with S90V or M4 too. ;)
I am officially jealous :) . I cannot wait to see a picture. I remember that Sal mentioned G10 countered scales.
The knife is certainly on my "must have list". There is a chance that Shaman will became my new perfect knife. I am huge fan of Native5 and love 3.5" blade, which Shaman supposed to have. S35N is fine steel. I will take it, but eventually I would love to see CPM M4, M390 and varaety of Carpenter steels.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:I held the Shaman at BLADE last year. I remember I was very impressed with how well the handle fit my hand and I knew it was definitely something I would buy. I'd like to see it offered in S35VN or S30V. Of course I'd be very pleased with S90V or M4 too. ;)
I am officially jealous :) . I cannot wait to see a picture. I remember that Sal mentioned G10 countered scales.
The knife is certainly on my "must have list". There is a chance that Shaman will became my new perfect knife. I am huge fan of Native5 and love 3.5" blade, which Shaman supposed to have. S35N is fine steel. I will take it, but eventually I would love to see CPM M4, M390 and varaety of Carpenter steels.
I hear you, Roman. My mind's picture of the Shaman does not do it justice. Hopefully we'll hear something soon. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote:It's in queue for production in Golden.
sal
SpyderNut wrote: I hear you, Roman.
I hope that queue is not that long. It would be nice to get it in 2015.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

With the Native and the Tatanka each having a back lock, I'm wondering if Sal will go with same for the "in-betweener" Native Shaman and Native Chief. If so, I hope it's the PowerLock, but I'd not complain about a compression lock.

And if it's Golden-made, I'll hope for M4 or 52100 (the latter on rumor alone).

But if the thing is in the queue, these things have probably been decided. But I can dream.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sal mentioned a while ago that Shaman has compression lock.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:Sal mentioned a while ago that Shaman has compression lock.
...and it seems like I remember it being buttery smooth too. :)

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Well, the news is that it's finally coming. I've been trying to determine the size of the spydiehole from the pictures in the mid-year supplement. Is it an oversized hole?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

KingRat wrote:Well, the news is that it's finally coming. I've been trying to determine the size of the spydiehole from the pictures in the mid-year supplement. Is it an oversized hole?
I did some screen measurements and calculations and came out with about 14.26mm which would make it the same as the Manix2 & PM2, even though it looks smaller on the slightly larger blade.

I think this one is a must have for me at some point, but since I've just bought 2 Native 5's, a Q Ball, a D'Allara 3 (etc :o ) I'll have to make do with my Superleaf for a few months (leaf shaped blade, compression lock, G-10, slightly smaller than about the same size as the Shaman but no contoured handle)
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sun May 28, 2017 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Excited to see this one make it into the mid-year! Looks like a subtle and classic design.
Going back to Caly.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I like the rounded corners and G10 finish!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Really excited for the Shaman! Been looking forward to this model for a long time.

Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Here's the pic from the mid year supplement, I was just wondering if they could make this knife with a wharncliffe blade? Anyway, looks like another awesome addition to the line up :D

Just wondering why they went with S30V instead of S35VN like the Native?
shamen.jpg
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Here's the pic from the mid year supplement, I was just wondering if they could make this knife with a wharncliffe blade? Anyway, looks like another awesome addition to the line up :D

Just wondering why they went with S30V instead of S35VN like the Native?
shamen.jpg
Maybe they were trying to keep the end cost down a little bit.

I'm definitely digging this one. It gives me something Manix sized, that doesn't look like it would take up most of my pocket.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

Looks like a winner to me.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I'll be waiting patiently. I'd like to see an M4 and M390 (or equivalent) sprints too. It looks like a winner already. The next PM2? What's the blade stock thickness?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Those handles look really nice. I wouldn't mind seeing that style of G10 on more models in the future.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Vivi wrote:Those handles look really nice. I wouldn't mind seeing that style of G10 on more models in the future.
They sure do. I've made up my mind this is the only other knife from spyderco I'll be getting.....if the price is right. Hoping it's at or under the new Manix 2 back lock pricing.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Scottie3000 wrote:I'll be waiting patiently. I'd like to see an M4 and M390 (or equivalent) sprints too. It looks like a winner already. The next PM2? What's the blade stock thickness?
It's 3.7mm, same as the PM2 and 0.5mm thicker than the Manix 2 blade.

http://catalog.spyderco.com/midyearproductguide/

Some other interesting measurements (to me at least :p ): It's 8 inches long, same as the Manix2, but the blade is a half cm longer than that of the Manix ('scuse the unit mix), the handle is therefore a half cm shorter than the manix's, but it's a whole cm longer than the Native 5 handle, just long enough to comfortably include my little finger in the behind the choil grip! :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Popsickle wrote:
Vivi wrote:Those handles look really nice. I wouldn't mind seeing that style of G10 on more models in the future.
They sure do. I've made up my mind this is the only other knife from spyderco I'll be getting.....if the price is right. Hoping it's at or under the new Manix 2 back lock pricing.
That would be great, but I'm expecting it to be more because of the skeletonized liners and the extra work to recess them and contour the handle.