Yojimbo 2 & Lil Temperance 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rivy

Yojimbo 2 & Lil Temperance 3

Post by rivy »

Hi All,

Let me first say that I don't want this to be a conversation about price. There's an obvious price difference and the price of the LilTemp3 has been talked about a lot. Also, the price sort of goes hand in hand with country of manufacture on them which is also not something I am interested in debating in this particular thread.

What I'm interested in is everyone's thoughts on these knives in comparison to each other as EDC blades.

I've had both of these two knives on my wish list for a little while now. I like the style and design of both. It seems they were both designed with self-defense in mind, but I'm sure both perform utility tasks reasonably well. They also both seem to have pretty thick blade stock.

Other than design (and the aforementioned price/country) the materials and locks are the same on these two.

Would they perform well as EDC knives? Which would you prefer (not considering cost) and why? Has anyone owned and carried both- and what was your experience if so?

I heard some people have issues with the compression lock pinching their hand on the Yo2.

Thanks for your thoughts and insights!
farnorthdan

Re: Yojimbo 2 & Lil Temperance 3

Post by farnorthdan »

They're both great pieces, just recently picked up the LT3 and absolutely love it. I did get a smokin deal on it so that wasn't an issue at all. The more I've carried it the more I like it. The Yo2 is a nice knife too, no doubt, but it just doesn't end up in my pocket very often, the LT3 fits my hand better and the blade shape is better suited for EDC I think.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
rivy

Post by rivy »

farnorthdan wrote:They're both great pieces, just recently picked up the LT3 and absolutely love it. I did get a smokin deal on it so that wasn't an issue at all. The more I've carried it the more I like it. The Yo2 is a nice knife too, no doubt, but it just doesn't end up in my pocket very often, the LT3 fits my hand better and the blade shape is better suited for EDC I think.
Awesome, thanks for the response. I was kind of thinking the same thing. I know they're both thick but does the grind on the LT3 make a bit better slicer?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Only have the Yojimbo, love the ergos, it's designed to allow strong deep cuts using your thumb on the spine for power. I carry it a lot.
20161231_132503.jpg
20161231_135603.jpg
(you dont see this angel much in pics but it's thick up top and tapers down to a nice point with a deep hollow grind)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

farnorthdan wrote:They're both great pieces, just recently picked up the LT3 and absolutely love it. I did get a smokin deal on it so that wasn't an issue at all. The more I've carried it the more I like it. The Yo2 is a nice knife too, no doubt, but it just doesn't end up in my pocket very often, the LT3 fits my hand better and the blade shape is better suited for EDC I think.
Awesome, thanks for the response. I was kind of thinking the same thing. I know they're both thick but does the grind on the LT3 make a bit better slicer?[/quote]

Different grinds, high hollow on the Yo2 and flat on the LT3 both great just different.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Rivy,

Welcome to our forum.

Both models were designed by designers with much experience is creating igh function knife designs. While different, they are both highly evolved.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pretty basic, do you use the tip a lot or do you make "cutting board cuts" with the belly more? If you find that you almost never cut against a flat surface like you would on a cutting board then having a belly may not make a difference in your use, so having an acute tip may be more useful.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rivy

Post by rivy »

sal wrote:Hi Rivy,

Welcome to our forum.

Both models were designed by designers with much experience is creating igh function knife designs. While different, they are both highly evolved.

sal
Thanks for the response, Sal! It may be a matter of deciding which one to get first rather than which one to get... haha.
rivy

Post by rivy »

Evil D wrote:Pretty basic, do you use the tip a lot or do you make "cutting board cuts" with the belly more? If you find that you almost never cut against a flat surface like you would on a cutting board then having a belly may not make a difference in your use, so having an acute tip may be more useful.
Good point, thanks!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I like the Lil Temp 3 better than the Yo2, due to FFG. But I also like the Yo1 better than the Yo2 and the Lil Temp better than the Lil Temp 3
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

How about a Lil Temp wharnie?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

That would be interesting, especially FFG
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I like both, but only own a Lil'Temp 3. One day I might pick up a Yojimbo 2 also. Prefer the blade shape & ergonomics of the Lil'Temp 3, but the Yojimbo 2 is not bad either. Yojimbo 2 is definitely a slimmer handle & takes up less space clipped in your pocket.
rivy

Post by rivy »

Evil D wrote:How about a Lil Temp wharnie?
I was thinking that too. It would be sweet. Sort of like the delica did, just try to keep the blade as similar as possible while changing the edge and then keep the same handle and grind. It would be awesome.
rivy

Post by rivy »

Halfneck wrote:I like both, but only own a Lil'Temp 3. One day I might pick up a Yojimbo 2 also. Prefer the blade shape & ergonomics of the Lil'Temp 3, but the Yojimbo 2 is not bad either. Yojimbo 2 is definitely a slimmer handle & takes up less space clipped in your pocket.
Oh that's good to know as well. How much thicker is the handle on the LT3? I sort of assumed they would be the same.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

rivy wrote:
Halfneck wrote:I like both, but only own a Lil'Temp 3. One day I might pick up a Yojimbo 2 also. Prefer the blade shape & ergonomics of the Lil'Temp 3, but the Yojimbo 2 is not bad either. Yojimbo 2 is definitely a slimmer handle & takes up less space clipped in your pocket.
Oh that's good to know as well. How much thicker is the handle on the LT3? I sort of assumed they would be the same.
Not much thicker sided to side if at all. The handle is larger in height, but negligible.
rivy

Post by rivy »

twinboysdad wrote:
rivy wrote:
Not much thicker sided to side if at all. The handle is larger in height, but negligible.
Good to know. Does anyone know how the Yo2 and LT3 compare in handle thickness to the PM2? That's an easy reference for me. :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have owned and carried a yojimbo 1, yojimbo 2, and Lil Temps in S30V and S60V. Have not handled the Temp 3.

The Yojimbo 2 makes an excellent EDC knife. It's fairly compact and light for a full sized knife, being a bit shorter and wider compared to a closed Para 2. The blade shape is very nice for utility work, and the tip allows for very precise cuts. The handle is comfortable and the lock is easy to manipulate with one hand. Mine freely swung out of the box and was immaculate from factory, absolutely flawless. As long the blade shape and locking mechanism fit your preferences, nothing about this knife should disappoint.

My old Lil Temps were one of my favorite knives. It was easily one of their most ergonomic designs. Sometimes I like a bit more blade length, but the Lil Temps blade was **** near perfect for EDC. I think it and the Para 2 are about ideal. I really liked the shade of green they used too. My biggest issue was the clip, I did not like it at all, but the new model fixes that. Looking at the catalog I can't help but feel I'd still prefer the old handle design, but I haven't held one...could change my tune once it in my hands.

I think it comes down to blade shape. Which one do you prefer? I think the wharncliffe works better for EDC tasks across the board. The only thing limiting about that blade shape is it doesn't cut things on a flat surface very well, e.g. a cutting board. I don't run into the need to do that with an EDC folder often so the Yo 2 works fine for me.