Best price/service EU?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Midnightrider

Best price/service EU?

Post by Midnightrider »

So the thread I'm basing this on has a lot of good info on American shops. Please list shops in the EU that you personally use and that give you good prices and service.

I'll start it off with a known entity, Lamnia. They are friendly and answer emails quickly. They ship same day in my experience. The selection of Spydies is good in my n00b opinion. Prices are meh, but that's EU for you. At least they are not price gouging unlike another unnamed shop I know... Several choices of shipping including a free option over 100 euros I think. All in all 2 thumbs up. No autos.

So guys lemme hear about those good EU shops.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
toeterbaas

Re: Best price/service EU?

Post by toeterbaas »

I buy mine at Knives and tools nl
Delica 4 Zome , Lava Silver
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I'm sorry to say that after recent unsupportable price hikes, I cannot recommend any U.K. retailers....
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I find I can buy from knifeworks.com and have it shipped to the other side of the planet cheaper than I can buy over here.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Doc Dan wrote:I find I can buy from knifeworks.com and have it shipped to the other side of the planet cheaper than I can buy over here.
My main problem isn't the shipping, it's the customs. But that's an entire topic on itself, and was already addressed on this topic viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73838

I already posted on other topics this website: http://www.coutellerie-tourangelle.com/
I'm in no way affiliated with it, I just shared it because I ordered from it and I was very happy with the price and delivery time (4 days from France to Portugal). Communication isn't their best attribute (I could only get an answer through facebook and they are slow to reply).

But hey, I could get an all black Spyderedge Native 5 for 90€ (knifeworks: 96USD, knifecenter: 99 USD) (and even got a free Kershaw) :cool:

http://www.coutellerie-tourangelle.com/ ... 22606.html

Besides the Native I bought a SAK, a strop, some cordage and other small things and everything is good EXCEPT for the Beef Jerky: they sent me another brand and not Jack Links. :mad: :eek: :D
I ordered just once but I'll order again (except for beef jerky of course LOL)
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

I only order from outfittercountry on eBay anymore when buying new. Good prices and reliable shipping. They don't always have the newest releases right away and rarely get sprint runs, but it is free shipping to Germany which is nice.
BladeHQ and Knifecenter work as well, Knife works has hideous shipping costs which factor into customs as well.

Seriously people are paying way more on the German bay for used spyderco than they would have to pay it the states or when importing.
The French importers are a start, spyderco should seriously reevaluate their current distributors like acma.de etc.

And that is not even talking other brands which have become available the last few years.
brj

Post by brj »

For the last 10 years I've been doing most of my purchases from Knifeworks. The downside for me it's not necessarily the shipping cost / customs, it's the fact I need to wait 10-14 days for the package to arrive... Whenever I feel the urge for instantaneous gratification I buy from Lamnia, typically in 3-4 days I get my stuff.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

As some have said it's customs and fees we're worried about. Yes we pay high high prices in EU. But at least no surprises, customs, import fees, misc. charges etc. if we order from American shops. It's tempting but often backfires.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Midnightrider wrote:As some have said it's customs and fees we're worried about. Yes we pay high high prices in EU. But at least no surprises, customs, import fees, misc. charges etc. if we order from American shops. It's tempting but often backfires.
How can it backfire? Fees are fixed and you can calculate them. If you are hoping that customs doesn't catch your package to avoid fees, getting caught is not backfiring.
Please don't mix things up.
Also even after shipping and fees most of the knives are still cheaper to import.

I understand that for the UK customs is troublesome as customs might seize locking folders, but that is a different issue.

Living in Germany I can't legally buy balisong type knives. As for all the other knives which might not be legal to carry but legal to own, I have never had any issue with customs.

Of course you take the risk when ordering from overseas and it takes way too long for a quick fix.
But there are only a few other options left... Like buying used from ebay which can also be risky.
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Midnightrider wrote:So the thread I'm basing this on has a lot of good info on American shops. Please list shops in the EU that you personally use and that give you good prices and service.

I'll start it off with a known entity, Lamnia. They are friendly and answer emails quickly. They ship same day in my experience. The selection of Spydies is good in my n00b opinion. Prices are meh, but that's EU for you. At least they are not price gouging unlike another unnamed shop I know... Several choices of shipping including a free option over 100 euros I think. All in all 2 thumbs up. No autos.

So guys lemme hear about those good EU shops.
If you really want to stick to the EU it is Lamnia and the French sellers unless some obscure source has evaded me over the years.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

vilePossum wrote:
Midnightrider wrote:As some have said it's customs and fees we're worried about. Yes we pay high high prices in EU. But at least no surprises, customs, import fees, misc. charges etc. if we order from American shops. It's tempting but often backfires.
How can it backfire? Fees are fixed and you can calculate them. If you are hoping that customs doesn't catch your package to avoid fees, getting caught is not backfiring
Depends where you live. Some places I have lived don't obey their own laws and they charge you what basically amounts to a ransom to get your package. And the couriers charge whatever fees they want for customs clearing, delivery (actually received the excuse a few times that I only paid shipping to the airport and delivering to my apartment costs extra- after paying FedEx 2 day etc.) and misc. charges. So yes, it can certainly backfire.
vilePossum wrote: I have never had any issue with customs.
That does not mean nobody else has had issues... I certainly have.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

vilePossum wrote: If you really want to stick to the EU it is Lamnia and the French sellers unless some obscure source has evaded me over the years.
Which French sellers? That is the question.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

brj wrote:For the last 10 years I've been doing most of my purchases from Knifeworks. The downside for me it's not necessarily the shipping cost / customs, it's the fact I need to wait 10-14 days for the package to arrive... Whenever I feel the urge for instantaneous gratification I buy from Lamnia, typically in 3-4 days I get my stuff.
Are you really ok paying 58 bucks for 150 dollars worth of knife or did I not understand what they said on their site?
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

toeterbaas wrote:I buy mine at Knives and tools nl
No autos... I'm happy with Lamnia except for no autos.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I have ordered from these guys before and it went quite well, they also tend to get the new Spyderco knives at almost the same time as they are released in the US.

http://www.coutellerie-tourangelle.com

Amazon can also be good sometimes, I bought my Sharpmaker on sale from Amazon.fr and it was slightly cheaper than in the US. Just check all the sites, Germany, France, Italy and Spain.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I never bought from this seller but he has good prices on some Spydercos:

http://stores.ebay.com/sharg-sklad-mili ... 7675.l2563

It's eBay / PayPal so I'll buy with confidence when I want something from it.
brj

Post by brj »

Midnightrider wrote:
brj wrote:For the last 10 years I've been doing most of my purchases from Knifeworks. The downside for me it's not necessarily the shipping cost / customs, it's the fact I need to wait 10-14 days for the package to arrive... Whenever I feel the urge for instantaneous gratification I buy from Lamnia, typically in 3-4 days I get my stuff.
Are you really ok paying 58 bucks for 150 dollars worth of knife or did I not understand what they said on their site?
Can't say I understand how you're construed that. My last order with KW was the CF/Ti S90V Millie a couple of weeks back, and I've paid $21 shipping, handling & insurance for a $300 order. That is totally fine in my book, YMMV.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

brj wrote:
Midnightrider wrote:
Can't say I understand how you're construed that. My last order with KW was the CF/Ti S90V Millie a couple of weeks back, and I've paid $21 shipping, handling & insurance for a $300 order. That is totally fine in my book, YMMV.
Agreed! I don't get it because their site just quoted me 58 dollars for shipping one knife to CZ this afternoon. I read the international shipping info on their site a few days ago and it seems to say it starts around 58 USD. so I went and added an item to the cart and checked and sure enough 58 dollars for either FedEx or US postal service. I want a deal like you got! :D
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I second the outfittercountry store on Ebay choice.They ofer free shipping for most of their knives,and the ETA is reasonable.Also,their customer service and comunication are great.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

spyderwolf wrote:I second the outfittercountry store on Ebay choice.They ofer free shipping for most of their knives,and the ETA is reasonable.Also,their customer service and comunication are great.
I bought quite a few Spydercos from them when the customs weren't the female dogs they are now.
But I buy from them stuff cheaper than 22EUR so the customs won't bother.