Sal, where you hiding all the 10v?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jpm2

Re: Sal, where you hiding all the 10v?

Post by jpm2 »

While we're wishing, I'd like a sage 1 in something non stainless.

What does 10 & 15V bring that maxamet doesn't?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

farnorthdan wrote:10V fluted anodized Ti Military flash batch :D
Only if it's rainbow fluted and features a Timascus backspacer. :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

SpyderNut wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:10V fluted anodized Ti Military flash batch :D
Only if it's rainbow fluted and features a Timascus backspacer. :p
:D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

jpm2 wrote:While we're wishing, I'd like a sage 1 in something non stainless.

That's actually a really good question.

If we do end up with Maxamet production of all the Golden models, I'm not sure that we need 10v.

Maxamet Chapparal though....
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

mattman wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:For 10V, the sprint ought to be beefy, no? How about a sprint of the new Manix2 Backlock?
I like this idea. Otherwise I am in for a Military or a ManixXL.
I'm in on any of these three... Personally, I think it best suits the Manix XL, but I'd think it would be more universally received in the beefy backlock...
+4
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
xg220

Post by xg220 »

Military in 10V with CF scales, but instead of the peel ply finish, put a smooth finish like on the Manix 2 CRUWEAR / CF. Traction is not an issue because of the outstanding ergonomics and jimping on the Manix. I feel the case is the same for the Military.

Or....Dark Purple G10? Something like this shade :
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

PM2. Anything less would be uncivilized.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

jpm2 wrote:While we're wishing, I'd like a sage 1 in something non stainless.

I assumed it has a lower cost for only slightly less performance, but it is still a top performer. So the reduction in price makes it attractive vs maxamet. Again, that is me assuming.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Russians do rope cutting competitions like Americans do blade sports. I don't know if they use maxamet but rex 121, which isn't incredibly different than maxamet, has been used. For several years Vanadis 10 was consistently the top performer and the last several 15V has been the top dog, beating out Rex 121. And rex 121 should, based on the chemical composition, be better than maxamet at cutting what most of us consider EDC type materials. So if 15V can beat rex 121 then I'm pretty sure 15V can beat maxamet, especially if heat treated right. Luong, Bluntcut Metalworx, is able to successfully heat treat 15V to 72, iirc, so hardness can be matched.

These steels have a strong enough matrix to keep the carbides in place and get hard enough to keep the apex from rolling and denting, of course at 68 to 72 RC that's a given. And I believe that's what people are seeing out of maxamet and why it's so impressive. If the properties of maxamet can be matched and even exceeded, which is absolutely plausible, then yeah, it's worth a look from steel junkies. But Luong also does a lot of things that push steels to their limit. When he says he gets the best overall performance out of certain steels, I listen. If he says he can get better performance, ie, the knife staying sharp in a variety of uses, out of something like M4, then I listen.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Yes, I'd be up for a Manix lockback, Para 2, Millie, or Native 5 in 10V or K390.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I don't think I'm into a Native 5 in K390, when I can get it in Maxamet.

Don't get me wrong, I loves me some K390--I've got the k390 urban in my pocket right now, and one of my favorite knives of all time is my Smoke Creek K390, but I don't really see a need for it in the Native, Manix, or anything else that's getting the Maxamet makeover.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bodog wrote:If I had to choose based on my personal preference itd have to be the military. I'd hope that it'd get a special disclaimer about the width behind the edge being thinner than normal and not meant for abuse. Like say .012" or less.

The pattada would also be good to showcase some steels like Vanadis 6 or 10. I think Vanadis 10 would beat 10V all other things being equal.

Or let's step it up a notch to 15V and start bringing out the big guns. Bow River? South Fork?
The Pattada!!
That would be an EPIC 10V blade......wow....
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

MacLaren wrote:
Bodog wrote:If I had to choose based on my personal preference itd have to be the military. I'd hope that it'd get a special disclaimer about the width behind the edge being thinner than normal and not meant for abuse. Like say .012" or less.

The pattada would also be good to showcase some steels like Vanadis 6 or 10. I think Vanadis 10 would beat 10V all other things being equal.

Or let's step it up a notch to 15V and start bringing out the big guns. Bow River? South Fork?
The Pattada!!
That would be an EPIC 10V blade......wow....

With the pattada being made in Europ itd be cool to see Vanadis 10 which is kind of similar to 10V, but made in Europe and a little more stainless and a little harder.

Image[/url]
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Flyinbrian

Post by Flyinbrian »

Anyone recommend buying a k2 on eBay? They're sold out or discontinued everywhere else.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Flyinbrian wrote:Anyone recommend buying a k2 on eBay? They're sold out or discontinued everywhere else.
i probably wouldn't.. But they still go for around $150 over on "The Exchange"
Donut

Post by Donut »

xg220 wrote:Military in 10V with CF scales, but instead of the peel ply finish, put a smooth finish like on the Manix 2 CRUWEAR / CF. Traction is not an issue because of the outstanding ergonomics and jimping on the Manix. I feel the case is the same for the Military.

Or....Dark Purple G10? Something like this shade :
I'm pretty sure with all of the crazy comments on the dark blue/purple color that is reserved for S110V that we won't be seeing dark purple, but I could be wrong!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Flyinbrian wrote:Anyone recommend buying a k2 on eBay? They're sold out or discontinued everywhere else.
Bento BS actually has them for a "not too crazy" or "not bento box shop" price. $239.95.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

If you're going use 10v go big or go home. A full sized folder or fixed blade is only appropriate
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Bump for the 10v Military.