What steel is better to sharpen then vg10?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Re: What steel is better to sharpen then vg10?

Post by twinboysdad »

toeterbaas wrote:
Holland wrote:Super blue is probably the easiest from my experience.

VG10 is one of the easier steels to sharpen, how are you sharpening?
I am sharpening with the diamond rods brown rods and white rods.
This thing wont get a good edge , And when its sharp the tip end is dull as ****
Saber ground Endura or Delica? Those suck to sharpen
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I really like VG-10 because it is easy to sharpen and maintain. I usually run a Sharpie or other magic marker down the edge so I can see if I am actually sharpening the edge or not. As I get older, my eyes are not as sharp ( :p ) as they used to be.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
toeterbaas

Post by toeterbaas »

Hi all is okay , I want to buy an aubrac or fontelille pataud.
Anyone has one of those 2?
What size should i get
Delica 4 Zome , Lava Silver
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

If you are truly wanting a blade steel that is easy to sharpen in comparison to VG-10 you could always go with H-1. Now plain edged H-1 is about as easy to sharpen blade steel I've ever worked with but the edge retention of H-1 truly has a lot to be desired unfortunately.

Now speaking for myself I tend to like a blade steel that's difficult to sharpen. One reason is I like the challenge of it and most steels that are hard to sharpen are also really good performing blade steel. It kind of goes along with the old adage "You Can't Have Your Cake And Eat It Too". Also anything that's worth while usually isn't easy.

But I can assure you that Spyderco has some excellent sharpening equipment to enable you to attain a great edge on any of their knives regardless of blade steel.
Koop

Post by Koop »

I think the better question might be what steel do you prefer to sharpen other than VG10? I don't mind sharpening and I like a blade that holds a keen edge. On the other hand, a quick run with with something softer like 8Cr13moV can be made quite sharp in no time at all. I enjoy spending several minutes getting my CTS XHP razor sharp and I know it will hold this edge for a good while. I find VG10 reasonably easy to sharpen and it's edge retention is more than acceptable. I like this steel.
PM2 Camo DLC S30V - Chaparral XHP - Delica 4 VG-10 -Manix 2 LW CTS BD1 - Manix 2 LW KC Exclusive XHP - Tenacious 8Cr13MoV - Dragonfly VG10 - PM3 Sprint Cruwear Light Gray G10 - K08 Santoku
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I am one of those few who had problem sharpening VG10 (Spyderco's version). Primarily because I couldn't get it apexed and burr free at same time. Some tips from experts over BF, I have since overcome that, and as a result, my technique and understanding improved.

I think 8Cr (Spyderco/Byrd) is easier to sharpen and maintain than VG10.
H1 PE is very easy (as per JD), and gets even sharper (with high polish) than 8Cr.

To the other extreme, ZDP is easy too (but needs Diamond), as it tend to burr very minimal and easy to clean up.

I think the difficulty in sharpening is divided into:
- How easy to abrade material
- How easy to deburr
One has no correlation to the other.
Another factor is whether someone enjoy the process of sharpening. I do ;)

To OP, I'd suggest don't give up, perservere, ask questions (or visit BF Maintenance subforum, lots of good tips there).
Chris :spyder: