Would you like to see the Dragonfly 2 offered in all the current colors the Delica 4 and Endura 4 are offered in?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

DF2 offered in same colors as D4 and E4?

Yes
83%
No
4%
Other: please comment below
13%

Total votes: 47

PayneTrain

Re: Would you like to see the Dragonfly 2 offered in all the current colors the Delica 4 and Endura 4 are offered in?

Post by PayneTrain »

I don't wanna say no, but I can't really say yes because having a different color wouldn't get me to buy another Dragonfly. I have one, and I totally dig it, but not enough to want another one. I think for everyone else's sake, yeah more color options is great! But do I want a different colored Dragonfly? Eh. I'm good with my HAP40. :)
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Would you like to see the Dragonfly 2 offered in all the current colors the Delica 4 and Endura 4 are offered in?

Post by Doc Dan »

Waiting on the blue FRN that has been discussed previously. I am not too concerned about the steel as I know Spyderco will pick a good one. VG-10 is fine with me, but the LC200N would be nice, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

attila wrote:We need more steels more than we need more colors, in my opinion.
I say yes, but would love to see different steels as well! And/or different G-10 scale color with those high end steels.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

OakTree wrote:
dplafoll wrote:So where would you start in changing the DF2 that doesn't make it a Robin?
I'd lower the profit margin.
OK sure, it's not unheard of for companies to lower margins to drive sales. But what motivation would Spyderco have for doing so with the Dragonfly?
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
IcemanUSA

Post by IcemanUSA »

Doc Dan wrote:Waiting on the blue FRN that has been discussed previously. I am not too concerned about the steel as I know Spyderco will pick a good one. VG-10 is fine with me, but the LC200N would be nice, too.
:cool: :rolleyes: ;)
Stay Frosty :spyder:
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

dplafoll wrote:
OakTree wrote:
dplafoll wrote:So where would you start in changing the DF2 that doesn't make it a Robin?
OK sure, it's not unheard of for companies to lower margins to drive sales. But what motivation would Spyderco have for doing so with the Dragonfly?
If driving sales is not motivating for Spyderco, then I guess there is none. I can tell you that I think that Benchmade knives are overpriced and you will ask me what motivation do they have to lower the price without lowering the quality. There are many Benchmade knives that I'd like to buy but they are just too expensive. Not too expensive because I can't afford them. Too expensive because I think they are priced too high. If they were priced lower, I'd buy them for sure. The same goes for Spyderco.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That's the one! Thanks, Iceman!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

I just want the sabre ground endura 4's to be available in all colors.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

OakTree wrote:
dplafoll wrote:
OakTree wrote:
If driving sales is not motivating for Spyderco, then I guess there is none. I can tell you that I think that Benchmade knives are overpriced and you will ask me what motivation do they have to lower the price without lowering the quality. There are many Benchmade knives that I'd like to buy but they are just too expensive. Not too expensive because I can't afford them. Too expensive because I think they are priced too high. If they were priced lower, I'd buy them for sure. The same goes for Spyderco.
I guess my point is that I think that the Dragonfly is appropriately-priced for what you're getting (and I agree on the BM pricing relative to the product). In contrast, I think there are several Spyderco models from Japan with black G10 handles and VG-10 steel and teflon washers that are overpriced relative to those materials and features. But looking at the basic models of Dragonfly (prices from BladeHQ):
Base model: $55.77 - You're getting an incredibly-excellent design in terms of ergonomics and cutting power, in a knife that's 1.2oz and fits in a coin pocket or on a keychain. Other than size issues due to personal preference or job requirements, this knife is a great buy at $55.
ZDP-189: $77.97 - This steel is still a premium steel, and on BHQ the only knives in ZDP that are less expensive are the Ladybug and Manbug, making this Dragonfly probably the cheapest pocket clip knife in ZDP189 that you can get.
G10: $95.97 - This one suffers a bit from the price creep like the higher-end Japanese G10 models, but compared to the base model DF you get G10, which is more expensive than FRN, and you get full steel liners. This is the one that you could argue the value, but I don't think it's too crazy for what you're getting.
Salt: $58.77 - It's rustproof, and near-enough the same price as the base model. So it's arguably the best value of all of them.

Now, all of that relies on the basic premise that "more knife blade doesn't necessarily mean the knife is better, and vice-versa". That means that the Dragonfly is still worth buying for the size and weight vs. something like a Delica at around $20 more. That premise is the place where, if you don't agree with it, you could argue that the Dragonfly isn't good value because it's "too small". But I clearly think otherwise. :D
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2