Why not a Native Salt?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonijedi

Why not a Native Salt?

Post by tonijedi »

I mean, it was already (kind of) made with the Never Summer exclusive, there's an entire line of Salt Series (meaning there's costumer interest for years now).
Is it happening? :rolleyes:
JRinFL

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Post by JRinFL »

tonijedi wrote:I mean, it was already (kind of) made with the Never Summer exclusive, there's an entire line of Salt Series (meaning there's costumer interest for years now).
Is it happening? :rolleyes:
This should happen, please Sal!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like the Native Salt ;) a lot, it has replaced both my DFly Salt and my Tasman in my EDC rotation more than I thought it would. When I need an 'all weather'/pool/beach/food prep knife, I've been reaching for the lc200n native more often than not.
zn5.jpg
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Revival

Post by Revival »

Yes please!
Kid Shamrock

Post by Kid Shamrock »

I would like to see a Salt version of the Native 5 LW, with serrated H1, yellow scales and wire pocket clip. I think it would be awesome!!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Seems like a LC200N plain edge LW is inevitable at this point, and I'm kinda surprised it hasn't happened yet. They might be waiting to drop another model first (the Mule just came out), or a complete revamp of the Salt series with LC200N?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

abbazaba wrote:.... or a complete revamp of the Salt series with LC200N?
I suspect this will happen, from what I have seen in my own use H1 has no advantages over Lc200n in regards to corrosion resistance, and Lc200n holds a better edge and can be heat treated unlike work hardened H1. (I'm not sure what the cost difference is to produce the steel)

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
I suspect this will happen, from what I have seen in my own use H1 has no advantages over Lc200n in regards to corrosion resistance, and Lc200n holds a better edge and can be heat treated unlike work hardened H1. (I'm not sure what the cost difference is to produce the steel)
Besides cost and other logistics there's also one question that still needs to be answered: lc200n performance with serrations.
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

Just extrapolating here:
LC200N has enough Carbon and Nitrogen in it to be properly hardened via heat treat, unlike H1. Between that fact, and the 1% (instead of 2% with H1) that will still help with work hardening, I suspect it will work just fine for serrations. Keep in mind, the main reason the Salt series is mainly serrated is that H1 performs much better in that edge configuration due to it's work hardening properties.

As a personal note, another good reason for the Fish Hunter to be a tester for LC200N viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74108&p=1146392#p1146392
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Lol I was just thinking this
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I read somewhere that H1 is not going anywhere. I believe it, and I hope I am right.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

tonijedi wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Besides cost and other logistics there's also one question that still needs to be answered: lc200n performance with serrations.
So far, so good. No issues in 5 months of light EDC.
zmess4c.jpg

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

So I've been carrying the LC200N Native about a year now. This knife really needs to be mass produced. I love the native platform, and the LC200N version is just a winner all round. It's "salty" (corrosion resistant), and takes a very nice fine edge with respectable edge retention (I'm surprised at how high the initial sharpness is) . I've only ever liked two combo edge knives in my many years of collecting, this is one of them.

Gave the edge a nice polish with my leather strops and diamond paste the other day, and power stropped the serrations with my dremel :D
20171128_155423.jpg
20171128_150854.jpg
20171128_151230.jpg

sal

Post by sal »

There is one in-the-works.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

ZrowsN1s wrote:So I've been carrying the LC200N Native about a year now. This knife really needs to be mass produced. I love the native platform, and the LC200N version is just a winner all round. It's "salty" (corrosion resistant), and takes a very nice fine edge with respectable edge retention (I'm surprised at how high the initial sharpness is) . I've only ever liked two combo edge knives in my many years of collecting, this is one of them.

Gave the edge a nice polish with my leather strops and diamond paste the other day, and power stropped the serrations with my dremel :D
20171128_155423.jpg
20171128_150854.jpg
20171128_151230.jpg
I'd love that same setup on a big knife like the Police. Red FRN, black LC200N blade, and combo edge. I was | | that close to ordering one of those natives.

That's awesome news about the salt Native.
:unicorn
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It is. I'll be getting one.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

sal wrote:There is one in-the-works.

sal
Cool :)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

sal
:) :D :spyder:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Vivi wrote: I'd love that same setup on a big knife like the Police. Red FRN, black LC200N blade, and combo edge. I was | | that close to ordering one of those natives.
The red frn and the DLC really go well together :D In general I like DLC with bright frn colors. I would have picked up the CS orange and black, but I'm saving up for the fluted CF native, and had to pass. Red n black on a bigger knife like the Police would look pretty cool. Heck if it was full 'salt' I might even buy one that size for camping/food prep.

*And awesome news on the "in-the-works" native salt :D

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

abbazaba wrote:

sal
:) :D :spyder:
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

YAY! YAY! YAY!