Dyad rip-off by Schrade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Dyad rip-off by Schrade

Post by ChrisinHove »

carl3989

Re: Dyad rip-off by Schrade

Post by carl3989 »

It's sad but quite common to "rip-off" the Spydie hole. Wish they didn't but that's not only company doing it. What really angers me are the Chinese clones of Spydercos which are getting harder to detect.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wow. Flagrant foul. Game ejection.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
paladin

Post by paladin »

red card :mad:
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Yep, that's shameless. At least it's shameless and terrible. I wonder if they could somehow make the handle thicker...
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Really sucks when you remember Schrade used to make pretty​ nice knives back in the day.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

At least they used oval holes instead of the trademarked round hole. I believe that any other patents have expired by now, leaving this one in the "crass but not actionable" category.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:Really sucks when you remember Schrade used to make pretty​ nice knives back in the day.
Schrade is a Chinese company these days, not the Schrade of old.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I clicked expecting to see something vaguely resembling a Dyad... but that is a close approximation.
Mora2013

Post by Mora2013 »

JRinFL wrote:
Evil D wrote:Really sucks when you remember Schrade used to make pretty​ nice knives back in the day.
From what I understand, Schrade went bankrupt and out of business. Taylor Brands LLC came in and bought the name only, and then began importing knives under the Schrade name. So, it's really not the same company at all.
sal

Post by sal »

I thought that Taylor sold to S&W.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I grew up carrying Old Timers. It's sad how far they have fallen.....

They have a new knockoff of the Carvin' Jack too. I want it but have sworn off modern Shrades for a few reasons. Now I have one more reason....

Sal, would Spyderco ever consider making a tool like the Carvin' Jack?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TheChunk91

Post by TheChunk91 »

Mora2013 wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
From what I understand, Schrade went bankrupt and out of business. Taylor Brands LLC came in and bought the name only, and then began importing knives under the Schrade name. So, it's really not the same company at all.
That pretty much sums it up. The new owners of schrades name have brought shame to the real schrade of old. The new knives have nothing to do with the schrades made in walden and later ellenville NY.

Some of the finest knives ever made were the schrade cut co era (1904-1946). Their distinctive peachseed jig bone was absolutely stellar.
Mora2013

Post by Mora2013 »

sal wrote:I thought that Taylor sold to S&W.

sal

Thank you Sal, I stand corrected. I missed the news that Taylor was sold to S&W in 2016.
sonarsessions

Post by sonarsessions »

If I recall correctly Schrade/Imperial/Old Timer knives were sold to Taylor Brands, then SWHC (Smith and Wesson Holding Company) purchased Taylor Brands. SWHC then became American Outdoor Brands Corp. They may have a model (or maybe a few) that are US made but most are still Chinese.
"All good, just different." :D

Current Spyderco's: C240CFP Smock CF S30V, C11PBK Saber Grind Delica 4 Black VG10, C101PBN2 Manix 2 Brown CTS XHP, C28PBK2 Dragonfly 2 FRN Black VG10, C223GP Para 3 Black G10 S30V, C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 British Racing Green ZDP-189, C28ZFPGR2 Dragonfly 2 Zome VG10, C41PBK5 Native 5 FRN Black S35VN, C101PDBL2 Manix 2 Dark Blue S110v, C94PDBL UK PenKnife Lightweight Dark Blue FRN S110V, C41PDBL5 Native 5 Dark Blue S110V, C11FPWCBK Wharncliffe Delica 4 Black VG10, C10PSFG Endura 4 Foliage Green Combo VG10, C11FPBN Flat Ground Delica 4 Brown VG10
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I grew up carrying Old Timers. It's sad how far they have fallen.....

They have a new knockoff of the Carvin' Jack too. I want it but have sworn off modern Shrades for a few reasons. Now I have one more reason....

Sal, would Spyderco ever consider making a tool like the Carvin' Jack?
Wow, a Spyderco carving tool! That would be real cool.. :)
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

The Spydie-hole is a nice design feature but come on... There are only so many ways that one can open a knife. Opening a knife with the thumb is natural and there are only 2 ways to do it: a depression and/or an extrusion. If you go with a depression, you're not going to make it a square or a triangle. It's either going to be a circle or an oval.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

OakTree wrote:The Spydie-hole is a nice design feature but come on... There are only so many ways that one can open a knife. Opening a knife with the thumb is natural and there are only 2 ways to do it: a depression and/or an extrusion. If you go with a depression, you're not going to make it a square or a triangle. It's either going to be a circle or an oval.
Really? Have you ever heard of the Byrd line?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

OakTree wrote:The Spydie-hole is a nice design feature but come on... There are only so many ways that one can open a knife. Opening a knife with the thumb is natural and there are only 2 ways to do it: a depression and/or an extrusion. If you go with a depression, you're not going to make it a square or a triangle. It's either going to be a circle or an oval.
You would think so, wouldn't you. But for how long were folding knives in use before someone came up with that idea?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Every time this comes up, I feel compelled to mention this case, where Hershey's was denied trademark protection on the shape of their bars on the grounds that it was functional, and thus not eligible for trademark protection.

For the record, I don't like blatant knockoffs of spyderco's designs. However, I also don't think the use of the hole opener in particular is a black and white issue. I hope spyderco keeps chalking it up to: "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, they can't do it as well as we can, and the people who want quality will seek us out."