Uh oh nutnfancy spreading misinformation...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ThePeacent

Re: Uh oh nutnfancy spreading misinformation...

Post by ThePeacent »

I also think it looks like pieces of fish guts or something similar that have dried and remain on the blade uncleaned.
Or it might be "rust", but then I can only think of a type of rust caused by a chemical reaction that is by-product of years of bacterial activity as microorganisms stood on the blade devouring and decomposing all organic matter, leaving acidic residues and components in the steel and causing some "corrosion" on it, but not a result of water or salt or actual oxidation.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

This looks similar to "rust" that was starting to form on a nice fillet knife I gave my son. He had cleaned and dried the knife but he didn't realize water/moisture etc. had gotten in the sheath. Fortunately I had taken the knife out to sharpen it for him and was able to clean the surface rust before the blade was damaged. Keep your powder and your sheaths dry. :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

If leaving h1 salty and bloody caused it to rust then I'd have a LOT of rusty knives. I quit even rinsing mine with fresh water years ago. I have others that have lived years bathing in a 100+ degree kayak compartment than always has saltwater in the bottom. I have a jumpmaster that lived in the kayak for a year seeing constant saltwater exposure. I left it in its kydex sheath in the kayak 24/7 without ever rinsing it. No rust. ****, even after I retired it from kayak duty it didn't get a cleaning. It's sitting in a drawer right now with dried salt and fish blood on it. No rust. Hunterseeker, I would bet my bottom dollar that the H1 in that knife is not rusting. There could be something in the coating that is reacting or they could just be superficial stains but H1 rust? Nah. The fact that there is no rust on the edge or the scallops of the serrations is a decent piece of supporting evidence.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

No, it isn't fish guts. If you assume everyone who presents evidence is lying, or highly unintelligent, you'll only ever be able to reach one conclusion.

The edge has never been sharpened, nor do there appear to be any spots of corrosion on the bevel. They are all on the laser work (logo, etc) and under the coating. I could have color corrected the photos to make it look redder and truer to life, but reading through this forum it is pretty obvious there are some people who aren't looking to be convinced of anything.

I'm not particularly worried about this. Doesn't seem like it is any threat to the structural integrity of the blade. And I've had corrosion issues with parts on spyderco knives in the past and gotten a **** of a runaround from their customer service, so why bother even bringing it up? I only post it because I am yet another example of an H1 spyderco with corrosion on it. And BTW, for those saying they have "NEVER" seen "legitimate" corrosion on an H1 spyderco before, I've seen examples posted on this forum before. Several long standing members who have been here longer than I and participate more than I very likely saw them as well.... and are now claiming or allowing claims of "I have never seen...." to go unchallenged. I'm not here to stomp on any fanboy, believe whatever you want to believe god knows there are better documented realities that larger numbers of people are only too happy to try to deny, but how many cases of rust popping up on the surface of H1 knives do you have to see before you'll be convinced it can happen? Doesn't ruin them, I've never seen an H1 knife die or take any serious damage from corrosion under reasonable use, but personal attacks on a knife reviewer who bought a "rust proof" knife and who popped surface rust on it because you have "never seen it before" doesn't help anything. Likewise, claiming that I'm a nut, that it must be fish guts, etc all in an effort to personally deny another example of it occurring.......

And to be clear, since some people struggle with this concept, I still like Spyderco, I still am happy with this and all the other H1 knives, after (could it really be?) almost a decade in and out of chlorine and salt with one of my original Salts I have seen no corrosion on it. I like Spyderco, I plan to buy a Caribbean when they come out, but denying reality and personal attacks help no one.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Why are you getting all bent out of shape about a discussion, on a discussion forum? I didn't see anyone attacking you?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Because some people want to attack anyone who may step into their safe little world. It wouldn't have mattered who brought any kind of evidence. Look what it took to get anyone to listen about the issues with bearing pivots and how most were attacked. And even then they're considered to be to blame for the problems, not the knives. This is a hobby and that's that.

It happens with most brands. Look at microtech and ZT. Look at cold steel and San Mai. Microtech had a pretty legitimate complaint about slander. Cold Steel being nice about the use of a trademarked term and finally saying enough is enough. Yet when anyone uses an unlicensed spyderhole that's horrible and people keep bugging Sal to sue them. People cheered spyderco taking action against the small knife shop in Maine. When someone uses an unlicensed axis type lock they scream that benchmade should sue them. People complain about Marfione beating their favorite brand in basically a duel started by ZT and that ZT should sue Marfione. Look at ApostleP. He wasn't even disrespectful, not really, about the advocate and yet people came out of the woodwork to attack him. Even in spite of a ton of people saying they weren't happy with the product for the exact same reason.

It's all B.S. All that can be done is try to combat the hypocrisy and dumbassery whenever possible, after all, this drama is part of this hobby. We tend to enjoy it or we wouldn't try to involve ourselves or side against anyone, especially when the problems aren't really clear cut and there's clearly an unfair bias and it in no way actually affects us in our own personal lives.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

@hunterseeker5
same here, i dont see anybody attacking anybody personally. everybody is just saying that it isn't rust on the photo, and that includes me. i've seen rust and almost every kind of metal oxidation all my life and i guess i'll be confident enough to say that it looks like some kind of bacterial/fungal growth if you'll let me judge what is in the photos.

if it is indeed some kind of oxidation that we haven't seen before, then it most likely be from the reaction of the coating (ticn) and not from the h1 steel itself.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi hunter seeker, thanks for the followup response. I am not good at separating quotes on here so I'm going to interject a few observations and questions within your quote that I will just type in red text.
hunterseeker5 wrote:No, it isn't fish guts. If you assume everyone who presents evidence is lying, or highly unintelligent, you'll only ever be able to reach one conclusion. With all due respect, I believe you yourself are assuming that folks with vastly more experience than you are lying or mistaken.

The edge has never been sharpened, nor do there appear to be any spots of corrosion on the bevel. Does that not seem odd to you? The edge (especially the apex) is typically the first part of a knife to succumb to corrosion. If you believe H1 is rusting, how do you explain corrosion on the coating but not on the edge bevel?They are all on the laser work (logo, etc) and under the coating. I could have color corrected the photos to make it look redder and truer to life, but reading through this forum it is pretty obvious there are some people who aren't looking to be convinced of anything.

I'm not particularly worried about this. Doesn't seem like it is any threat to the structural integrity of the blade. And I've had corrosion issues with parts on spyderco knives in the past and gotten a **** of a runaround from their customer service, so why bother even bringing it up? I only post it because I am yet another example of an H1 spyderco with corrosion on it. I agree that you have what appears to be some form of corrosion on your knife but its not the H1 steel that is corroding And BTW, for those saying they have "NEVER" seen "legitimate" corrosion on an H1 spyderco before, I've seen examples posted on this forum before. Could you please post a link to one or more of those? I would like to see that. I strongly suspect you are remembering one or more pictures with a salt knife showing rust that leaked from either the hardware or pivot area after long term saltwater exposure. I have seen this happen on my salt knives. The hardware on the salt knives is HIGHLY stainless but is not h1 and will eventually show some corrosion if left constantly exposed to a salty environment. It usually starts after a couple of months of 24/7 exposure. It's rarely seen because not one out of thousand users subject their knives to that level of constant exposure. I have NEVER seen an example of H1 steel rusting. Like I said, if you have seen such an example then please post a link.Several long standing members who have been here longer than I and participate more than I very likely saw them as well.... and are now claiming or allowing claims of "I have never seen...." to go unchallenged. I'm not here to stomp on any fanboy, believe whatever you want to believe god knows there are better documented realities that larger numbers of people are only too happy to try to deny, but how many cases of rust popping up on the surface of H1 knives do you have to see before you'll be convinced it can happen? One would be a good start?Doesn't ruin them, I've never seen an H1 knife die or take any serious damage from corrosion under reasonable use, but personal attacks on a knife reviewer who bought a "rust proof" knife and who popped surface rust on it because you have "never seen it before" doesn't help anything. Agreed. Nutnfancy did indeed make an error in his assessment of what was happening to his knife but there is no reason to get personal or rude. He was making an observation on what he saw. Were he to do a good bit more testing he would eventually catch his error; or he could listen to those that have far more experience wth the steel...that's another way to learn things. Likewise, claiming that I'm a nut, that it must be fish guts, etc all in an effort to personally deny another example of it occurring.......

And to be clear, since some people struggle with this concept, I still like Spyderco, I still am happy with this and all the other H1 knives, after (could it really be?) almost a decade in and out of chlorine and salt with one of my original Salts I have seen no corrosion on it. I like Spyderco, I plan to buy a Caribbean when they come out, but denying reality and personal attacks help no one.
Ok hunterseeker, please let me make extremely clear that I am in no way trying to be rude or personal. I really do appreciate your feedback and I find it interesting seeing the spots on the coating of your blade. Makes me curious as to what is causing it. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and I understand why you are drawing those conclusions. You are, however, mistaken about the core issue of H1 itself rusting. Some of the things in your post I disagree with and that's where I typed in my responses. I assure you I'm not trying to be a wiseass with you so I hope it doesn't read that way. :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bodog wrote:Because some people want to attack anyone who may step into their safe little world. It wouldn't have mattered who brought any kind of evidence. Look what it took to get anyone to listen about the issues with bearing pivots and how most were attacked. And even then they're considered to be to blame for the problems, not the knives. This is a hobby and that's that.

It happens with most brands. Look at microtech and ZT. Look at cold steel and San Mai. Microtech had a pretty legitimate complaint about slander. Cold Steel being nice about the use of a trademarked term and finally saying enough is enough. Yet when anyone uses an unlicensed spyderhole that's horrible and people keep bugging Sal to sue them. People cheered spyderco taking action against the small knife shop in Maine. When someone uses an unlicensed axis type lock they scream that benchmade should sue them. People complain about Marfione beating their favorite brand in basically a duel started by ZT and that ZT should sue Marfione. Look at ApostleP. He wasn't even disrespectful, not really, about the advocate and yet people came out of the woodwork to attack him. Even in spite of a ton of people saying they weren't happy with the product for the exact same reason.

It's all B.S. All that can be done is try to combat the hypocrisy and dumbassery whenever possible, after all, this drama is part of this hobby. We tend to enjoy it or we wouldn't try to involve ourselves or side against anyone, especially when the problems aren't really clear cut and there's clearly an unfair bias and it in no way actually affects us in our own personal lives.
Bodog, what does ANY of that have to do with refuting an erroneous claim about H1 steel rusting? I'll say it again, if anyone has an example of H1 steel rusting I want to see it and I will have no issue changing my beliefs.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Surfingringo wrote:
Bodog, what does ANY of that have to do with refuting an erroneous claim about H1 steel rusting? I'll say it again, if anyone has an example of H1 steel rusting I want to see it and I will have no issue changing my beliefs.

Because some people are really attacking some of these guys. Not saying you're one of 'em. I just know how I felt when I saw something, I knew what I did and didn't do to the knife, know that I know enough to say when something is good compared to something else, and then to have pretty much everyone say what was just mentioned. "It's never happened to me so it must be false." "What an a$$hole" "Ignore this guy, I've never seen the problem myself so he must be full of crap." "We don't have anyone actually returning the product to US so the problem must not exist." Etc., etc.

I answered the questions asked in the posts just before mine the way that I see it.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

One more thing. In the interest of not sounding like a know it all, I am redacting my assertion that anyone claiming that H1 rusts is unequivocally wrong. As sure as I am about what I'm saying, I'm old enough to have learned that it's seldom wise to speak in absolutes.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

hunterseeker5,

I would be curious to see what that Catcherman looks like all cleaned up.

I know some folks noticed rust spots on their H1 blades, that turned out to be metal deposits from the machinery that made the knives. It wasn't the H1 that was rusting, but these tiny little leftover pieces of metal. I don't know how porous that TiCN coating is, but it's entirely possible that what you're seeing are those tiny little metal deposits rusting through it.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

For whatever it's worth, I had some issues with a ticn coated s30V blade. I thought the blade had rusted but when I used a pencil eraser to remove the rust, the coating came right off and the steel was clean underneath. The steel did not rust after that but there were streaks along the blade's grind lines that were missing the coating. I sent it in and Spyderco replaced it. I hope that wasn't my fault, too.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

From what little bit I've been able to find, TiCN isn't the greatest when it comes to preventing corrosion. Over time, it gets worse because of...well, chemistry.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Beside electro-oxidation/rusting, one can test/try for rust by put some fish/mamal gastric acid (those with stomach) on H1 / LCN2000 blade... maybe it will or won't ;)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bluntcut wrote:Beside electro-oxidation/rusting, one can test/try for rust by put some fish/mamal gastric acid (those with stomach) on H1 / LCN2000 blade... maybe it will or won't ;)
To that end, I just swollowed my H1 Ladybug!

I'll keep you posted! :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Wish there was a rule against threads along the lines of "XYZ posted a negative video about Spyderco." I am seeing these here more often; they don't seem very productive or helpful to Spyderco customers. Instead, they just seem to be generating negative publicity of a type that benefits and even encourages negative reviewers.

What is the benefit of these types of threads to the forum?
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Hunterseeker, no one called you a nut. It was you who claimed that anyone normal and rational had to agree with you. Further, it seems that you are launching personal attacks against those who disagree with a reviewer who you seem to agree with. Chill.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bluntcut wrote:Beside electro-oxidation/rusting, one can test/try for rust by put some fish/mamal gastric acid (those with stomach) on H1 / LCN2000 blade... maybe it will or won't ;)
Hey Bluntcut, it is soooo interesting that you just mentioned this. I was just about to make a new post about this very subject today based on an observation I made yesterday. Better to start a new thread on it I believe.

*Bluntcut, check the post I just made. I was literally making that post today as I read your response. Funny!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74387
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

clovisc wrote:Wish there was a rule against threads along the lines of "XYZ posted a negative video about Spyderco." I am seeing these here more often; they don't seem very productive or helpful to Spyderco customers. Instead, they just seem to be generating negative publicity of a type that benefits and even encourages negative reviewers.

What is the benefit of these types of threads to the forum?
I created this thread because I genuinely wanted to know if anyone had ever had experience with H1 rusting. Not because I wanted to stir up a hornets nest or something. I have no interest in that.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra