Who has USED the Manbug Salt Sheepsfoot?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Who has USED the Manbug Salt Sheepsfoot?

Post by twinboysdad »

Count me in the "wish it was pointier" crew but I love my LBHB so much I am willing to overlook if I get a glowing review
murphjd25

Re: Who has USED the Manbug Salt Sheepsfoot?

Post by murphjd25 »

This thing lives on my tool bag. Use it every day, makes simple work of clamshell packages and everything else I throw at it. This isn't a review but it is definitely worth picking up, the sheepsfoot blade is awesome and the manbug fills my hand better then the ladybug. Just pick one up hehe.
Josh
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

Might be a nice fishing knife to wear on a cord around the neck for line cutting duty.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Its on my list for this years additions. It will hopefully replace an old SAK that lives in my backpack. Otoh I've always wanted a Dragonfly.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Haven't used it but held it, which honestly is enough for me to gather a pretty reasonable expectation of how it would be in use, given my years of experience with using Ladybug's. If you like the Manbug and you like serrations, it's a no brainer. It'll be great with a little paracord lanyard or as a keychain backup, especially for those who can't commit to carrying a full SE knife but want to play around with serrations once in a while.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Still in disbelief at the lack of field reports?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Too many safe queens, maybe. People don't want to use and scratch them up? I'm quite curious too might have to get one to find out.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

My fiancé asked me yesterday to open her pack of pills, like the NyQuil pills you can't quite pop out of the pack. The sheep man was the closest sharp object and tore that sucker up haha
Last edited by JerryIsAlive on Mon May 01, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I like my Manbugs a lot and have had the sheepsfoot on my keychain since I got it, but honestly have only used it a few times to open mail or boxes.

While it's worked well every time I've needed it, the problem is that I virtually always have another edc clipped to my pocket, so I have to consciously remind myself to use the MB. I have too many other new :spyder:'s right now to only carry a Manbug, but it would be an interesting challenge. If nothing else, for now I just like having it there :)
:spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'll buy one when they make a version with a knife blade instead of a sharpened rectangle of H1. Looks like a nice handle for a tiny knife!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Vivi wrote:I'll buy one when they make a version with a knife blade instead of a sharpened rectangle of H1. Looks like a nice handle for a tiny knife!
Lack of a point on the blade? Sort of has me hung up too. A poster above mentioned opening blister packs and the Hawkbill opens blister packs much more "authoritatively"
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

The Manbug Salt is on my short list to buy. It'll replace the Ladybug II that's been on my keychain since the late '90s.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I was personally hoping for a regular blade on the Manbug Salt, just like they've done on the other Ladybug/Manbugs. This is what we got though. So I'm still probably going to pick one up. The Manbug is one of my favorite blades.
vivi

Post by vivi »

twinboysdad wrote:
Vivi wrote:I'll buy one when they make a version with a knife blade instead of a sharpened rectangle of H1. Looks like a nice handle for a tiny knife!
Lack of a point on the blade? Sort of has me hung up too. A poster above mentioned opening blister packs and the Hawkbill opens blister packs much more "authoritatively"
Yup. On a tiny knife like this I basically only use the tip, anything where I'm doing slices I use my full sized folder.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I have one. What do you need to know about it? It's a small, rustproof, fully serrated knife. The tip's first serration acts like a wee hawkbill for opening stuff. It's sharp. It's yellow. It cuts nylon straps no problem. A wee rescue knife that would work as intended.
- best wishes, Jazz.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Jazz wrote:It's sharp. It's yellow. It cuts nylon straps no problem. A wee rescue knife that would work as intended.
Exactly. Mine should be arriving in today's mail and it will take the place of the sheepsfoot Ladybug II (SE) that's been on my keychain since the late 90s. Bigger blade, better edge retention, and never any rust.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Jazz wrote:I have one. What do you need to know about it? It's a small, rustproof, fully serrated knife. The tip's first serration acts like a wee hawkbill for opening stuff. It's sharp. It's yellow. It cuts nylon straps no problem. A wee rescue knife that would work as intended.
This helps. My B&M has had one out on the counter display and it feels so much better in hand than a LB but I adore my LBHB for what it does so well. Hearing the teeth at the front work so well is reassuring. I feel certain I get one at some point
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

Manbug Wharncliffe. You heard it here first.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

dsvirsky wrote:
Jazz wrote:It's sharp. It's yellow. It cuts nylon straps no problem. A wee rescue knife that would work as intended.
Exactly. Mine should be arriving in today's mail and it will take the place of the sheepsfoot Ladybug II (SE) that's been on my keychain since the late 90s. Bigger blade, better edge retention, and never any rust.
I'll echo the two sentiments here.

The SE MBSF Salt replaced the SE LBHB Salt on my keychain when I confirmed its point can get into clamshell packaging.

I don't imagine a typical review will appear for this Manbug as most of us EDC at least one much larger knife for the day's challenges.

This MB would seem to be a knife for not a lot of niches. But maybe someone here will carry it exclusively for six months and come back with a full review that contradicts my impression.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

OakTree wrote:Manbug Wharncliffe. You heard it here first.
I drew this a while ago. I'd love it.

- best wishes, Jazz.