Manix2 Backlock!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:
Donut wrote:What do you want to see in pictures?

Take it apart! I wanna see the internals.
LOL, I don't think I'm taking it apart, but I'm sure someone will soon.

I think I can see most of it from inside the handle view.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Can anyone educate me on what differences an LW version will have? I think by going linerless, it's already an LW?
Chris :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

anagarika wrote:Can anyone educate me on what differences an LW version will have? I think by going linerless, it's already an LW?

Yeah I don't get it either aside from some people preferring FRN and the grip pattern you can get with it over G10. Otherwise I wouldn't expect the weight difference to be noticeable in hand.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Evil D wrote:
anagarika wrote:Can anyone educate me on what differences an LW version will have? I think by going linerless, it's already an LW?

Yeah I don't get it either aside from some people preferring FRN and the grip pattern you can get with it over G10. Otherwise I wouldn't expect the weight difference to be noticeable in hand.
Ah thank you, the grip pattern it is .. I guess ;)
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I do really like the handle material on FRN/FRCP handles and like to have options on more affordable knives, usually also helps for models to end up with more people that actually use them. Sometimes using a knife I also like to be able to abuse it somewhat which most sturdy Spydies will be fine with but it's a lot easier if you can have a more affordable blade for stuff like that.

The weight should still be a lot less even though it's already quite light for it's build. I think an FRN and G10 Endura have a weight difference of near an ounce. It could definitely be a bit "lightweighter" still.
When I compare my Pacific Salt to an Endura the difference is also definitely there, both lightweight FRN but one without the liners, my reason to really prefer the Salt series..
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I got to handle one of these at Mark's in Vestavia (B'ham) yesterday, like it very much, and want to get one at some point. So I'll throw in my 2 cents, all IMHO of course:

It seemed thicker in hand than I was expecting, and, David, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you find it unnecessary to add more G-10 before contouring. It's weight is listed at 4.4 ounces/125g, which makes it heavier than the G-10 sprints with skeletonized liners (4.25oz/121g by my scales) and way heavier than the LW FRCP models (2.85oz/81g).

I once compared skeletonized FFG and non-skeletonized HG Manix2s blindfolded and got it right every time -- 4.25oz vs 5.1oz, so I think an FRCP M2BL should be noticeably lighter than the G-10.

Yesterday I was choosing between 4 of my top picks, M2BL, Lil Temp 3, Q Ball, and D'Allara 3, and wound up with the D'Allara 3. I might have chosen the M2BL, but right now I've got my eye on the lighter (4oz, I think) KC CF Manix2. I really like this version of the D'Allara as more of a thin-carrying gent's knife as opposed to the hard use, heavy duty design of the original models, which I would also like to see back in production. Love its smooth action and quick, easy (for me) one-hand closing (release ball w/thumb nail, flip blade over with index finger). I got to use it in the kitchen last night and it's a great slicer. I think it's going to be one of my favorites. I'd love to see it in black Nishijin. Excuse the digression, but it's hard to curb our enthusiasm sometimes :o :p
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DougC-3 wrote:David, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you find it unnecessary to add more G-10 before contouring.

After looking at more pics I'm not sure how I could and still keep the clip. I'm also not sure about really rounding it out since there aren't any liners, I'm not sure how deep I could go before I start taking away rigidity. I had really wanted to do the reverse hourglass shape you see on so many fixed blade handles but I'm not sure it can be done safely.
~David
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Joris Mo wrote:I do really like the handle material on FRN/FRCP handles and like to have options on more affordable knives, usually also helps for models to end up with more people that actually use them. Sometimes using a knife I also like to be able to abuse it somewhat which most sturdy Spydies will be fine with but it's a lot easier if you can have a more affordable blade for stuff like that.

The weight should still be a lot less even though it's already quite light for it's build. I think an FRN and G10 Endura have a weight difference of near an ounce. It could definitely be a bit "lightweighter" still.
When I compare my Pacific Salt to an Endura the difference is also definitely there, both lightweight FRN but one without the liners, my reason to really prefer the Salt series..
I think Endura G10 and FRN differences are mainly caused by the steel backspacer, not by the FRN vs G10 slab.
Pacific Salt vs E4 is by the steel liners.

I'm guessing changing it to FRN/FRCP will not be that much different in weight, although the bidirectional texture is a class by itself, I like them on the Seki series ;).
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Donut wrote:I got mine today, seems pretty sweet.

I think the highlight is the clip mounting to the very end of the handle and... the fine (almost smooth, slightly rougher than paper) G-10. The action really feels like my old C95.

I love mine!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I got mine, today. This is the knife Gibbs should have. The M2BL is a real hard use folder. The fit and finish are perfect and may be the best knife I have in this regard. This is the knife I have hoped for a long time.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

anagarika wrote:
Joris Mo wrote:I do really like the handle material on FRN/FRCP handles and like to have options on more affordable knives, usually also helps for models to end up with more people that actually use them. Sometimes using a knife I also like to be able to abuse it somewhat which most sturdy Spydies will be fine with but it's a lot easier if you can have a more affordable blade for stuff like that.

I think Endura G10 and FRN differences are mainly caused by the steel backspacer, not by the FRN vs G10 slab.

I'm guessing changing it to FRN/FRCP will not be that much different in weight, although the bidirectional texture is a class by itself, I like them on the Seki series ;).
I guess the backspacer material should definitely be quite a part of the weight difference but since all the FRN models I've had also have an FRN backspacer I'd presume that would go for this model as well and thereby still making quite a difference in weight.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I have noticed that carrying this one tip down which is finally an option with the backlock does have the thumb-serrations somewhat eating up my jeans.
Might be compensation for the smoother finish on the G10.. ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm kinda curious why they chose a steel back spacer. FRN has proven that it can handle the pressure of a back lock spring so I don't see why G10 can't. They could have drilled holes through a G10 back spacer and used standoffs to thread the scale screws into. I bet that'll be a popular mod for this knife. Maybe weight balance had something to do with it, but then the Lightweight versions are obviously lighter in the handle than the blade and nobody seems to care. I do tend to prefer balance to be in the middle or favoring the handle end but it's not a deal breaker on a folder.
~David
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Maybe the steel backspacer is used for people who like the more 'robust/solid' feel in a blade, could be quite a part of the market on G10 version folders.
I'd prefer G10 in the backspacer but I'd like anything as LW and slim profile as possible.
(except maybe bladestock, would prefer this bladestock with slim FRN handle scales)
(or maybe get me this bladestock on a Stretch 2 in FRN)
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:I'm kinda curious why they chose a steel back spacer. FRN has proven that it can handle the pressure of a back lock spring so I don't see why G10 can't. They could have drilled holes through a G10 back spacer and used standoffs to thread the scale screws into. I bet that'll be a popular mod for this knife. Maybe weight balance had something to do with it, but then the Lightweight versions are obviously lighter in the handle than the blade and nobody seems to care. I do tend to prefer balance to be in the middle or favoring the handle end but it's not a deal breaker on a folder.
I am thinking it is just so that it looks the same down the back.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Joris Mo wrote:
anagarika wrote:

I guess the backspacer material should definitely be quite a part of the weight difference but since all the FRN models I've had also have an FRN backspacer I'd presume that would go for this model as well and thereby still making quite a difference in weight.
If they use G10 backspacer it'll definitely lighten the butt. I agree with Brian though, it looks much nicer with the full steel in the center. Awesome!
(Not that I can't live with G10 or FRN backspacer, owning many Enduras, Stretches and Cara Caras). The look of this (thick slab of steel) is indeed charming! :cool:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It definitely has a rugged handsomeness about it. Probably its the aesthetics that is the reason for the steel back spacer. The knife is butt heavy but the light weights usually balance behind the guard. The balance on this knife is just a bit farther back. As to the spacer being heavy, I am not certain how much difference in weight it would make to change it to G10. G10 is heavy compared to many other materials, anyway, and we are talking a small item, so changing steel to G10 might not make much difference.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Manix being my favorite model, I'm now in for a Manix2 Backlock, especially now that its innards have been revealed. The only question is when I'll jump.

I'd certainly go for an LC200N or Maxamet sprint without hesitation.

But, having just acquired one of my grails, a sprint of the original S30V Manix, my urge for a backlock is somewhat satisfied; it even satisfies my urge for the Manix2 XL Backlock that some here are now enthusing.

The only thing that will throw me off the Manix2 Backlock as my next Manix will be finding my other grail, the 83mm Manix2, that this newer model seems to harken.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

I got around to tearing mine down to clean it real good due to dropping it in the sand at work.
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

Check out the beefy spring, backspacer and lockbar