K390 Rust

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZMW

K390 Rust

Post by ZMW »

To start, the K390 Urban is first non stainless steel. I had some forced patina issues with it already, but it has not been used for several days. I grabbed it today and saw this. A good amount of rust. I live in Phoenix, dry and hot. But, I do keep my knives in a trey on my bathroom counter. Could showering and building up some humidity cause this level of rust? Or, would this only happen if I accidentally splashed some water on it?

I like the steel a ton, but running into these rust issues after less than 1 month with the knife. Again, living in Phoenix.
Attachments
IMG_2788.JPG
IMG_2787.JPG
WireEdge Roger

Re: K390 Rust

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I'm guessing you run your A/C? I know my bathroom and the contents in it are colder than the showers we typically take. Condensation will definitely rust a non stainless blade.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi ZMW,

Rust is better prevented than cured. I've been carrying the new Police 4 production proto, also made from K390. I like the steel because of the performance properties, but I also know that I must pay attention to maintenance and K390 requires more attention than most stainless steels.

sal
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

I am new to these types of steels, so I will do a better job of keeping oil on it after use. I may need to send it to you guys to unthread the pivot screw as it just spins when turned, so unable to take it apart and clean out any rust in the pivot. Unless that does not matter...
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

It happens, if it was mine I'd shoot the pivot with some WD then Flitz the blade and call it good. ;) :spyder:
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I'd say the bathroom and showers had something to do with it definitely unless you accidentally got it wet. I'd move your case to the bedroom, the A/C in your house acts as a natural dehumidifier so it shouldn't be to "humid" in the house. I'd move your tray to your bedroom and try some flitz and wd40 as Dan mentioned! Nice knife choice by the way!
Josh
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My advice is when you're not using it keep it coated on a thin layer of Vaseline and if you store it somewhere leave it in the box it came in and put a silicone packet in it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

I appreciate the advice, I will take it. I am moving my EDC knives from bathroom to bedroom and I will clean that sucker off and keep it oiled. I was spoiled with stainless before, it made me lazy
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Sandpaper buddy. Most people get used to stainless steels and forget to treat knives as tools. No big deal, you may find you like sanding the blade a bit. Nothing quite makes a blade your own like doing something that keeps you from selling it later on. Once you make the move, though, you feel much freer to treat it as you want.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

definitely don't keep non-stainless in the same room as a shower.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

ZrowsN1s wrote:definitely don't keep non-stainless in the same room as a shower.
Lesson learned!!!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

ZMW wrote:I am new to these types of steels, so I will do a better job of keeping oil on it after use. I may need to send it to you guys to unthread the pivot screw as it just spins when turned, so unable to take it apart and clean out any rust in the pivot. Unless that does not matter...
I bought a second K390 Urban, tried to remove the pivot for a blade swap but mine just kept spinning as well. I tried all the usual tricks to get it to come loose to no avail.

I don't know if the FRN has a D shaped pivot and I managed to warp it when I went to unscrew, or if it's just a round hole. Either way, I couldn't get it to come loose.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

My k390 mule picked up some rust under the scales when I was EDCing it. I scrubbed it off when I swapped the scales onto another mule, but honestly it didn't bother me at all.

No rust on my blade at all, though.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

If you take a hot shower and there's condensation on the mirror, it's a sure thing water droplets condensed on the blade and caused the rust. Don't leave it in your shower. Remember it's not stainless. It looks like very minor surface corrosion so get a tube of Flitz and use a tiny amount about the size of a grain of rice and a rag and you'll buff it all off in a few seconds. For future use I always recommend USP mineral oil found in the laxative section of grocery stores/pharmacies. It's about $2 for a big bottle. Put a dab on a rag and wipe the blade down once a week if it's used or maybe once a month or so if it's not being used.
setldown

Post by setldown »

I learned not to store my straight razors in the bathroom just for that reason.
Donut

Post by Donut »

My K390 Pingo went through the washing machine and dryer and pretty much only got rust on the inside of the Spyder hole.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

I love the high performance non-stainless, but just don't want to deal with such issues.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I Gunkoted 10 Pingos in K390 for Edgematters Forum as a one-off...
Ger hold of a local Kalgard Gunkote(r) and see how it goes...
I am extremely happy with the protection... :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:My advice is when you're not using it keep it coated on a thin layer of Vaseline and if you store it somewhere leave it in the box it came in and put a silicone packet in it.
This is good advice. Vaseline not only has mineral oil in it, it also has paraffin wax. It is food safe and will adhere to the blade very well (even if you can't see it). Put a bit on, making certain to get the edge, and then wipe it off real good. You will have no more rust issues. I live in a place of 100% humidity, a bit of salt air, and high temperatures. I have had zero issues on any of my carbon blades, including K390, using Vaseline.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
adamlau

Post by adamlau »

Remove the rust ASAP. Bar Keepers Friend. Wenol. Then coat the entire blade and pivot in oil and send it back to Spyderco to have them remove the pivot screw. I hope threads such as this propogate another round of CQI for pivots which anchor non-stainless blades. Such pivots should me made user maintanable!