52100 Military, what are your plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
adamlau

Re: 52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by adamlau »

Makes sense. This is similar to a PM2 where I filed the stop pin liner hole to accomodate a stop pin sleeve which would not fully seat.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have 52,100 plans for this thing. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I had to dig mine out today. I'm having Military withdraws. Rust be damned!
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'm going to start carrying mine more -- I've been gravitating toward smaller stuff. Will this CF hold helicoils as well as G-10? I want to convert it to tip up left pocket.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DougC-3 wrote:I'm going to start carrying mine more -- I've been gravitating toward smaller stuff. Will this CF hold helicoils as well as G-10? I want to convert it to tip up left pocket.
That's a good question. Makes me wonder if we'll see a Manix 2 back lock in solid CF. That plus a nice steel, whoa man.
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Evil D wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:I'm going to start carrying mine more -- I've been gravitating toward smaller stuff. Will this CF hold helicoils as well as G-10? I want to convert it to tip up left pocket.
That's a good question. Makes me wonder if we'll see a Manix 2 back lock in solid CF. That plus a nice steel, whoa man.
I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

CF will anchor a helicoil just fine given the material is thick enough. I've sent some thin pieces of CF sort of "crumble" for lack of a better word when trying to anchor into it. The thickness of the manix 2 backlock scales would be more than plenty though.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The CF on the 52100 Millie seems plenty thick and sturdy. I would be willing to try it, being careful to leave maybe 1-1.5mm of CF material drilled just to screw diameter between the helicoil and clip. I wonder if you could strengthen the CF around the hole with some sort of stabilizer like people use with wood? This is just talk. I'm not set up to do it yet.

As for the Back Lock M2, I had already been having fantasies about a solid CF model -- I think that would lighten it by a quarter of an ounce or more and be a challenge for people wanting a contoured handle. I handled and had a chance to buy a BLM2 this afternoon at Mark's but finally settled on the D'Allara 3 instead, partly because I'm leaning toward the lighter CF Cruwear exclusive at KC (and I've already got 9 M2 & M2-XLs :( ).
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

For those of y'all that did the mustard patina, how did it turn out? What are they like now?
Thanx!!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

DougC-3 wrote:The CF on the 52100 Millie seems plenty thick and sturdy. I would be willing to try it, being careful to leave maybe 1-1.5mm of CF material drilled just to screw diameter between the helicoil and clip. I wonder if you could strengthen the CF around the hole with some sort of stabilizer like people use with wood? This is just talk. I'm not set up to do it yet.

As for the Back Lock M2, I had already been having fantasies about a solid CF model -- I think that would lighten it by a quarter of an ounce or more and be a challenge for people wanting a contoured handle. I handled and had a chance to buy a BLM2 this afternoon at Mark's but finally settled on the D'Allara 3 instead, partly because I'm leaning toward the lighter CF Cruwear exclusive at KC (and I've already got 9 M2 & M2-XLs :( ).
Wish I had known you were coming, would have been cool to meet up. That D'Allara 3 is a great piece, really calling me.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

twinboysdad wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:The CF on the 52100 Millie seems plenty thick and sturdy. I would be willing to try it, being careful to leave maybe 1-1.5mm of CF material drilled just to screw diameter between the helicoil and clip. I wonder if you could strengthen the CF around the hole with some sort of stabilizer like people use with wood? This is just talk. I'm not set up to do it yet.

Wish I had known you were coming, would have been cool to meet up. That D'Allara 3 is a great piece, really calling me.
Sorry I missed you -- real live :spyder: forum members are very rare around here.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

No mustard patina 52100 Millies?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:No mustard patina 52100 Millies?
I'm not really a fan of the zebra stripe patterns people usually do with mustard. When I did mine initially I just cut a bunch of fruits and veggies.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
MacLaren wrote:No mustard patina 52100 Millies?
I'm not really a fan of the zebra stripe patterns people usually do with mustard. When I did mine initially I just cut a bunch of fruits and veggies.
I did mine with coffee. Turned out really nice.
I was askin for my cousin.
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

I ordered up a second one so I can have a spare. I asked for a blade the drops freely when the lock is depressed. I did the same on my M4 Millie I got replaced and it drops nice and easily, unlike the first M4 and 52100 Models that I received. As AwayFromMySpydieHole said the two that aren't free dropping don't have the stop pin standing proud on both sides. On the 52100 it doesn't bother me with it not being a free swinger enough to take it apart and lose my warranty, as it isn't that stiff and is well centered. On the first M4 one the way off center blade paired with the stiff action made it easy to return it.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:
I was wondering why they didn't do a Solid G-10 handled Native. That seems logical since the Solid G-10 Manix is using the Native lock.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Donut wrote: I was wondering why they didn't do a Solid G-10 handled Native. That seems logical since the Solid G-10 Manix is using the Native lock.
That sounds like a good idea. If the M2BL goes over well, which it sure seems to be doing judging by the 4 or so threads about it, I'll bet they'll do it with a Native. Solid dark green would be nice.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm not sure the Manix is "using the Native lock" so much as Spyderco are simply improving their lock design. Wasn't the 40th anniversary version solid CF?
~David
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Brock O Lee wrote:
Evil D wrote: You should give the silicone spray a try. I've read Gayle Bradley uses it on his carbon steel blades with good success. I use it on all my knives. I've also once sprayed some mild steel ornamental pieces that used to rust within days, and they've been rust free for more than a year now. Look for a food-safe brand, some brands have some nasty ingredients...
Pretty sure I have a friend who still works in the corrugation industry and we used the food grade stuff on pretty much anything that needed lubed so I'll see if I can get a can from him.

I've had rust issues from carrying M4 even after coating it with Tuf-Glide. Apparently I have really acidic sweat.
I get mine from the hardware store:
http://swifts.co.za/herschell/retail/ae ... cone-spray

Sounds to me like you eat too much garlic, or Tobasco... :D
Amazon U.S. didn't have the Australian product made by Herschell, but I did run across these 3 products which I didn't even know existed:

'Sprayon' Food Grade Dry Silicone Spray, 13.25 oz. $8.99

CRC Food Grade Silicone Lubricant, (Net Weight: 10 oz) 16oz Aerosol $10.35

CRC 03081 General Purpose Food Grade Machine Oil Spray, (Net Weight: 11 oz.) 16oz Aerosol $7.16 Add-on Item

I had no idea any of these things existed in 'food grade.' It's worth noting that this means OK for incidental food contact. It doesn't mean you should spray it on your bacon & eggs ;) :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DougC-3 wrote:
Amazon U.S. didn't have the Australian product made by Herschell, but I did run across these 3 products which I didn't even know existed:

'Sprayon' Food Grade Dry Silicone Spray, 13.25 oz. $8.99

CRC Food Grade Silicone Lubricant, (Net Weight: 10 oz) 16oz Aerosol $10.35

CRC 03081 General Purpose Food Grade Machine Oil Spray, (Net Weight: 11 oz.) 16oz Aerosol $7.16 Add-on Item

I had no idea any of these things existed in 'food grade.' It's worth noting that this means OK for incidental food contact. It doesn't mean you should spray it on your bacon & eggs ;) :D

Yes. This. Very much this. We used this stuff on some machine parts back in my corrugation factory work days to help boxes slide across sheets of steel and such. Food grade only means that in the minimal amounts that it's likely to get into/onto your food, it isn't going to hurt you, but I still would be a little hesitant about spraying my knife down with it and then using that same knife to cut up some veggies. But, I also do exactly that with Vaseline and I'm not dead yet so it may be fine. But yeah, so far I've used Vaseline on my 52100 and it's getting along fine. I don't carry this one for work though, because I'm constantly getting caught in the rain and such, but I do use and carry it on my off days quite a bit and it's probably next on my list to get a regrind.
~David